Dropper post installation - meh!

Snoozeboy

Feb 20, 2019
Lausanne
I had a cube OEM dropper post installed by my LBS when I took it in for the 500km service they offered.

It cost a fair bit (chf240, but bear in mind everything is expensive here in Switzerland) and I don't think it's very good.

Firstly, they only installed the 100mm version. A 130mm would have been better but I don't know if cube does one.

The action is a bit sticky on rising the dropper and quite stiff to disengage to drop it.

Finally, the trigger is horrid. It's on top of the bar on the right hand side. A left hand side below the bar trigger would be much more natural and I'm going to have to change it at more expense. Any recommendations?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Finally, the trigger is horrid. It's on top of the bar on the right hand side. A left hand side below the bar trigger would be much more natural and I'm going to have to change it at more expense. ....................

Your design of trigger may not allow it, but I can't think why. :unsure:
Top right hand should mount exactly the same as below on the left side. No need to buy a new remote, no need for disconnecting, just swing it across! :)

Snoozeboy

Feb 20, 2019
Lausanne
Your design of trigger may not allow it, but I can't think why. :unsure:
Top right hand should mount exactly the same as below on the left side. No need to buy a new remote, no need for disconnecting, just swing it across! :)

Thanks for your reply, but it's not that kind of trigger. It's a stupid design which sits on top of the handlebar and needs downward pressure to release. I'll post of photo of it when I have time.

Cris

Dec 1, 2018
Beds
The Cube dropper that comes as standard on a Stereo 140 has a left hand lever, i’d see if they can change it for that type .
192C692F-997E-4EF3-9152-BC1C7C36C4C5.jpeg

Snoozeboy

Feb 20, 2019
Lausanne
Here's my shitty trigger.
20190501_102226.jpg

20190501_102205.jpg

It's too stiff to use with just my thumb and I have to move my hand on the right handlebar to activate it. It's also quite sharp and likely to take my knackers off in an OTB incident.

It gets worse...

I was passing the bike shop today and I popped in to mention that the trigger was too stiff to use and sometimes not activating the dropper. The guy in the shop immediately used the excuse that water must have ingressed into the cable. This is complete bollocks and I told him it was that stiff when I left the shop with it installed, though since has now started to completely fail to release the dropper post. We made an appointment for him to service the dropper next Tuesday.

I also asked him why he installed a Cube 100mm dropper when there was easily room for a Cube 125mm, which is sold at the same price. He informed me that to change the dropper would require selling me a new one, at the original price (240chf).

And worse...

Yesterday the dropper started to not fix at the top position, so it gradually drops until I get fed up, hit the release and have to lift the dropper manually with my hand as it no longer extends either.

In summary...
- The LBS installed a 100mm dropper when there is easily room for the 125mm version, which would have given me better clearance when dropped.
- They installed a shitty trigger rather than a decent one, on the wrong side.
- The seatclamp wasn't very tight, so when I originally started riding, the dropper would slide down the seat tube. I had to tighten the seatclamp to the point where I can no longer release it without the use of tools. I'm 100kg, which might be a factor, but not exactly off the charts.
- The dropper now releases when not required and doesn't release when required. It also doesn't extend when required.

In summary, it's the worst piece-of-shit I've ever encountered in a piece of bike equipment, with the worst service from a LBS.

On Tuesday I will demand they uninstall and give me my old seatpost back, with a full refund, declaring the installation not fit for purpose. I don't fancy my chances as:
a) the LBS guy is not very sympathetic.
b) this is Switzerland. Poor service is the norm here. The customer is always wrong.

In anticipation of a refusal of a refund, I'm wondering about further recourse via my credit card, which I used to pay.

Any advice gratefully received.

Snoozeboy

Feb 20, 2019
Lausanne
Back to the LBS today for my appointment to address the issue.

They proposed a solution to install a Fox dropper (at chf480) against a refund of the cost of the cube dropper (net addition cost 240chf), with an under the bar LHS trigger, which I accepted.

I'm a bit shocked at the price of a decent seat dropper that works - nearly a sixth of the cost of the bike, but I guess I have to accept the fat-bastard tax.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
OK, double the cost, but at least you have not paid twice! :)

CHF480 is about £360 sterling, which is not way out of court for a good quality dropper. But I wouldn't pay that much. I have had a KindShock and many Reverbs. Every single one either failed just inside the two year warranty (happy day!) or mostly just outside it!!! The dropper on my current bike is another KS. When that fails, as it will, I am strongly considering getting a Brand-X dropper. They are very cheap and get very good reviews. I have spoken to several owners and they are all very happy with them.
Here is a link to a special offer from CRC:
Brand-X Ascend 120mm & 150mm Dropper Seatpost | Chain Reaction Cycles

PS: Although droppers can be problematic from time to time, there is no way I would have an mtb without one!

Snoozeboy

Feb 20, 2019
Lausanne
Thanks for your reply. I agree with you - droppers don't work for long, but they're worth the hassle and the expense.

It's pretty impossible to stop them from getting caked in dirt from the back wheel and then grinding that dirt through the seals, whatever the level of quality.

I wouldn't normally pay that much either, but a) I was in a situation of having to force a refund or a chargeback on my credit card, so as you said, it was good not to pay twice, and b) everything is stupidly expensive here so after a few years you just become desensitized to getting fleeced.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles