Dropper post fitting for Focus Thron2 6.7

Greener

May 16, 2020
Dorset, UK
My Thron 6.7 arrived today. I was originally going for a 6.9 from discount-bike.de but I was too late (5 weeks ago stock was disappearing online before your eyes). I decided the componentry on the 6.7 was adequate for my needs apart from the seatpost as I wanted a dropper post.
I can’t see an obvious way of routing the dropper post cable internally. The Thron 6.8 and 6.9 share the same frame as the 6.7, but oddly the 6.8 and 6.9 appear to have an internal cable.
Can anyone with a Thron with a dropper post please help?

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
I was going to recommend the Magura Vyron wireless dropper, but I see the price is now 50% more than I paid earlier this year. I wouldn't pay the current asking price.

The advantage of wireless was that there was no need to drop out the motor to run the dropper cable. As it's been a bugger to locate a Torx 40 Plus (got one now) to undo the motor bolts, I wanted to avoid that for as long as possible. I went the easy route for my missus' Thron2 6.7 - it works a treat.

(Not sure how you've found it, but none of the standard Torx 40 bits engage properly into the motor fasteners, so they can't be properly torqued without risking rounding them out internally).

Greener

May 16, 2020
Dorset, UK
I was going to recommend the Magura Vyron wireless dropper, but I see the price is now 50% more than I paid earlier this year. I wouldn't pay the current asking price.

The advantage of wireless was that there was no need to drop out the motor to run the dropper cable. As it's been a bugger to locate a Torx 40 Plus (got one now) to undo the motor bolts, I wanted to avoid that for as long as possible. I went the easy route for my missus' Thron2 6.7 - it works a treat.

(Not sure how you've found it, but none of the standard Torx 40 bits engage properly into the motor fasteners, so they can't be properly torqued without risking rounding them out internally).
Thanks GrahamPaul, I did wonder about the Torx bits. I’ve got a decent set of bits, but like you I found the motor bolts odd - almost like it was inbetween sizes. I persisted for better or worse and the bolts look a bit worse for wear - hope I don’t have a warranty claim! I put a bit of wire through the down tube and past the motor and out of a hole at the bottom of the seat tube. I’m going to risk buying a stealth post and see if I can pull the inner cable through with my wire and then use that to guide the outer cable through. Exp mistake if it doesn’t work!

Greener

May 16, 2020
Dorset, UK
BTW what are the torque settings for the motor bolts? I’ve not torqued them down yet as I’ll be fitting (or trying to fit) the cable in the next couple of days.

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
BTW what are the torque settings for the motor bolts? I’ve not torqued them down yet as I’ll be fitting (or trying to fit) the cable in the next couple of days.

According to the workshop manual, 20Nm - which isn't very much, so loctite is your friend.

It's well worth getting a Torx 40 Plus. It has a different shape to give better contact and make torquing easier. They seem to be available in Britain, but an absolute bugger to find here in Spain. I got one of eBay (which was shipped from Britain, oddly enough, even though it's German).

Torques.JPG

Greener

May 16, 2020
Dorset, UK
According to the workshop manual, 20Nm - which isn't very much, so loctite is your friend.

It's well worth getting a Torx 40 Plus. It has a different shape to give better contact and make torquing easier. They seem to be available in Britain, but an absolute bugger to find here in Spain. I got one of eBay (which was shipped from Britain, oddly enough, even though it's German).

View attachment 34234
Really useful, thanks.

Rankbad

Oct 19, 2020
NZ
Hi folks, if still keen to know, I've just tonight finished fitting a Giant 'Contact' 150mm dropper to a mates Focus Thron2. Not the easiest exercise but if someone wants a step-by-step how to, happy to oblige?:unsure:

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
We got a Vyron to get around the cable issue, but the 0.4 second delay and the on/off timer is actually a bit of a pain.

What was hard about routing the cable? Been thinking of asking a LBS to route a cabled dropper and get rid of the Vyron.

Rankbad

Oct 19, 2020
NZ
My Thron 6.7 arrived today. I was originally going for a 6.9 from discount-bike.de but I was too late (5 weeks ago stock was disappearing online before your eyes). I decided the componentry on the 6.7 was adequate for my needs apart from the seatpost as I wanted a dropper post.
I can’t see an obvious way of routing the dropper post cable internally. The Thron 6.8 and 6.9 share the same frame as the 6.7, but oddly the 6.8 and 6.9 appear to have an internal cable.
Can anyone with a Thron with a dropper post please help?
So, hopefully this will work me uploading my install pics, from just completed Focus Thron2 (6.7?) dropper install. Unfortunately they're not in chronological order but hopefully suffices?
1/ Removed wheels and battery (makes easier to work on)
2/ Removed cranks - just easier viewing if you can
3/ Remove plastic cable exit guide (top of frame), whichever side of bar going to (T10 bit).
3/ Remove T20 splash guard screws to access motor bolts.
4/ Using a T40 torx bit (brought brand new $4.50) hit firmly into each screw (with soft ended hammer) firstly to break locktite a bit. I then used a small battery powered impact driver (cheap as at local hardware store) and with firm pressure into screws, they loosened easily all 6x bolts. 5/ Motor was hard to move down & out of frame more than 50/60mm. Enough to then thread outer cable down seat tube, then up down-tube via cable clamps, to cable exit guide at top of frame. Here I used a thin, very stiff Lacing wire down top of frame & pushed into cable outer, as it was too difficult to angle cable towards exit point (see pics). Note - don't cross over cable, run up side your exiting.
If you've never installed a dropper before, this is quite easy if care taken and correct tools used. I find it always requires a firm (continuous) pulling on inner cable as you push dropper into seat tube, so cable end doesn't pop out. Good luck folk.

IMG_20210627_215504.jpg

IMG20210627221144.jpg

IMG_20210627_215653.jpg

IMG_20210627_215834.jpg

IMG_20210627_220038.jpg

IMG_20210627_220504.jpg

IMG_20210627_220957.jpg

IMG_20210627_220643.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles