• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Drivetrain downgrade advice

kafkastan

Aug 11, 2019
Brighton, UK
I tend to swap chains when they hit 0.5% stretch, but hit that marker at only about 550km on my 12-speed Vitus emtb. I’m not sure I’ve ever troubled the largest cassette sprocket, and my sensibilities were offended paying £40 for a replacement chain, so was considering downgrading to probably 10-speed when the drivetrain gets knackered. Then I had perhaps my stupidest and most annoying crash ever on the road about 100m from my house, banjaxing my rear mech, so am planning the downgrade now.

I’ve only ever really done simple maintenance, generally only replacing components like-for-like. Given the sheer stupidity of the crash, my brain has decided that my penance is to do all the replacement work myself.

So, I have to replace the cassette (obvs), mech, chainring and shifter. However it hadn’t dawned on me ‘til this morning that I’d need to replace the freehub. I’d like to get the job done in one shot, without popping to LBS. (I’m “shielding” as the wife is on industrial-grade immunosuppressants.) So, my question is, what if anything am I forgetting? Ta loads.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
If you are going to do it then replace your inner cable as well - don't re-use.

Shifter
Inner Cable
10 Sp Derailleur
10 sp Cassette
Freehub (maybe)

Not certain what is on there now - Shimano or SRAM?
Helped a friend change recently and the SRAM 11-36 10sp cassette fitted perfectly after removing a spacer ring from the freehub.

kafkastan

Aug 11, 2019
Brighton, UK
Cheers Rusty. I'll certainly swap cables and do all that sensible stuff. I've never really poked around with freehubs, so I've no idea if the same could be done with mine.

Here's what's on there at the mo ...
1591515395100.png

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Me, I would go for the following:

XTR M980 10 Sp Shifter
XT Shadow Plus RD-M786 Derailleur
Deore CS-HG 500 11-42 Cassette
CH-HG54 Chain if wanting to stay Shimano (or my pref KMC X10)
Not certain if the DT Swiss hub will take 10sp - best to contact DT Swiss support.

DT Swiss Support

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Watching with interest. I also don't see the need for the full 12sp. The extra long derailleur arm scares the hell out of me. I can't see any cassette using micro spline other than the 12sp. Let us know how you get on with changing the freehub.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You're a mech smasher

go Zee FR mech and Deore 11-36 cassette with a SRAM 1030 chain (cheap and durable)
The Zee mech slightly stronger than the XT and being short cage will be bettewr tucked away and give you better clearance from hits
I actually prefer the cheap 10speed Zee shifter to XTR or Saint (but that's just personal preference).

SRAM 10spd cassettes are not as strong/durable as Shimano 10spd cassettes but are slightly lighter (comparing at similar pricepoints)

You'll need to swap out the microspline freehub for the DT shimano HG freehub that fits your particular hub (DT do make one for yours)

kafkastan

Aug 11, 2019
Brighton, UK
Sorry for very slow response. Got busy.

Anyhows, thanks so much for that Rusty. You've truly spoiled me with suggested components. I'm not sure why, but I really don't enjoy researching components. (Esp. tyres. Trying to decipher the brand-specific lingo and abbreviations on tyre listings makes me die inside.)

However, I have to 'fess up that I caved and bought a direct replacement for my damaged mech. If swapping the whole drivetrain, I'd like to know that I could take to LBS in case I bolloxed something up, but it seems people are waiting weeks for repairs. I don't want to be without that bike at the mo, so I'm postponing the job 'til winter. Though I will be referring to your list of suggested components.

Sorry to disappoint @GrahamPaul. I'm also hoping someone else reports back on the freehub job.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
@kafkastan - check the post from @Gary.
He has made some very intelligent suggestions based on DH kit that I have no experience with. Checked some out yesterday for when my 12sp setup needs replacing and the Zee derailleur does look a more stronger unit than the XC stuff.

kafkastan

Aug 11, 2019
Brighton, UK
@kafkastan - check the post from @Gary.
He has made some very intelligent suggestions based on DH kit that I have no experience with. Checked some out yesterday for when my 12sp setup needs replacing and the Zee derailleur does look a more stronger unit than the XC stuff.
Will do, ta. I hadn't seen his post. Must have hit 'ignore' when his tremendously helpful to annoying ratio went south for me.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles