Drive train suggestions?

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
Currently running sram 11-50 NX cassette and GX derailleur. Just waiting for my 3rd derailleur in 12mths to arrive in the post.

The first NX just blew apart riding some flat ground and now the GX disintegrated from a 1cm thick stick. These derailleurs seem to be made from cheese or is 6mths an OK amount of wear from a derailleur on an ebike?

I'm thinking it's time to upgrade to something a little more robust. Any suggestions welcome.

nosenada

Nov 26, 2019
California
May want to give the MICROshift Advent a shot. It is only $125 USD for derailleur (w/clutch), shifter (w/ bearing), and cassette (all steel). That is less than the price of a GX derailleur.

My wife runs it on her ebike and it works great. We removed her Eagle drive train and replaced it with the Advent.

I would run it on my bike too, but I have a xd driver so I am stuck with SRAM cassettes.

Reactions: iXi

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I've had very good luck with shimano 10 and and 11 speed derailleurs after destroying several GX and NX mechs.

My personal favorite currently, is an xt M8000-GS 11 speed mech, with a 10 speed xt shifter, and sunrace 10 speed 11-42 cassette.

• Agree

Mr-EPIC-3

Feb 25, 2020
USA, So Cal
May want to give the MICROshift Advent a shot. It is only $125 USD for derailleur (w/clutch), shifter (w/ bearing), and cassette (all steel). That is less than the price of a GX derailleur.

My wife runs it on her ebike and it works great. We removed her Eagle drive train and replaced it with the Advent.

I would run it on my bike too, but I have a xd driver so I am stuck with SRAM cassettes.

How has the Microshift Advent drive train holding up?
Would U recommend Microshift or spend more on SRAM or Shimano?

I have just over 2000 miles on my drive train (Shimano Deore) and need to replace it.

Thxs!

BrentD

Jun 25, 2020
New Zealand
Box Components 9 speed (11-48) can be had for USD 270 which can be less expensive than just a SRAM cassette depending on what part of the world you're in.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
:unsure:

Highly doubtful :geek:
I will take it as fact. Have had a SRAM GX come apart on my 3rd ride. Not something I was expecting to fail that early but I expect piss-poor assembly at the factory as the cause. The replacement was trouble free until I flicked the bike with about 1200km on it. LBS had someone else with the same issue and SRAM were happy to replace with no issues so guessing it was 'known' to them.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
Yeah the mid jockey wheel on my NX just fell out, blew apart was using superlatives but in effect it just fell out on a flat fire road. Bought a GX and the stick destroyed it. Bought a 2nd GX and the limit screw decided to bend after two rides. No idea how it happened but sram didn't come to the party so now I run a XT 11 speed derailleur with a 10 speed cassette and it's been rock solid. I'm hear to stay.

If I ever go back to 12 speed it will be shimano all the way. Sram is junk. I love their brakes but their drive train is garbage.

20200407_171604.jpg

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Yeah the mid jockey wheel on my NX just fell out, blew apart was using superlatives but in effect it just fell out on a flat fire road. Bought a GX and the stick destroyed it. Bought a 2nd GX and the limit screw decided to bend after two rides. No idea how it happened but sram didn't come to the party so now I run a XT 11 speed derailleur with a 10 speed cassette and it's been rock solid. I'm hear to stay.

If I ever go back to 12 speed it will be shimano all the way. Sram is junk. I love their brakes but their drive train is garbage.

View attachment 35103
I put the same setup on about 6 months ago and literally haven't be able to kill it. I've worn out chains and rings and cassettes, but at least it all last long enough to actually wear out.

nosenada

Nov 26, 2019
California

I have just over 2000 miles on my drive train (Shimano Deore) and need to replace it.

Thxs!

Holding up fine on both my wife's ebike and kids bike (non ebike, but lots of bike park miles). Not sure how many miles.

Clutch is set a little too tight out of the box, but easy to adjust.

Microshift Advent is worth trying at only $125 for an entire drivetrain. Just make sure you get the all steel lower price cassette.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania

Thxs!
2000 miles sounds good to me

nickfrog

May 22, 2020
UK
I am very impressed by the SLX 12 drivetrain on my Decoy (coming from XT 11 on my older bike) so that would be my suggestion as you can keep your existing cassette.

I understand that it may require a specific chainring profile though but not sure how incompatible it would be with your existing ring, hopefully others can comment on that.

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Depends what parts you consider as "drivetrain", if chain yes, cassette maybe, derailleur no.

Mr-EPIC-3

Feb 25, 2020
USA, So Cal
I consider the drivetrain chain, cassette, derailleur and shift-pod. I guess I will start with replacing the chain and cassette.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I get about 300 miles per chain, double that on a cassette, and the derailleur is usually disfigured long before it's worn out. I ride exclusively off-road and encounter lots of mud from Oct through May.

Mr-EPIC-3

Feb 25, 2020
USA, So Cal
I get about 300 miles per chain, double that on a cassette, and the derailleur is usually disfigured long before it's worn out. I ride exclusively off-road and encounter lots of mud from Oct through May.
90% of the riding I do is dry, dusty and rock trails, I do lube the chain before every ride. At about 1500 miles that's when my shifting started slipping and I did install a new cable, but still slipping. I guess 2000 miles on the chain, cassette and derailleur isn't bad.

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
If you replace the chain at (or even before reaching) 0,5% stretch you should get about 2-3 chains per cassette. My PC-X1 chain has about 1500km and still not reached 0,5% stretch (measured by ruler method), I paid 18€ for this chain and it's not ebike specific ...

MrBrownstone

May 2, 2020
Maine
So you are just replacing the chain and no slip issue? Are you using a eMTB spec chain?

yup been doing it for years. Nope no slip. I don’t use emtb spec anything. I use an slx 11 speed chain. I replace my chain once my Park chain wear tool reads .75. Every time. Have done it the same on every bike I’ve owned no matter the brand of chain or drivetrain. I don’t lube every ride, just when it’s needed. Maybe every hundred miles. Finish line Dry lube. Only lube I’ll use. We ride in all conditions year round here in Maine.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles