Drifter front rim width?

Oct 28, 2018
North Yorkshire
Can any one with a Drifter please advise the internal width of front rim. I believe the std front tyre is a 2.6.
I have a Jam2 9.6 Plus and fancy trying a 29er front wheel.
Cheers!

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
The drifter front wheel is 30mm internal. Here's a photo of the Jam2 with a 29x2.4 up front (Id rather have a 2.5). I didn't get to ride it on trails as the bike had to go back that day. As far as I can tell, there isn't any difference between Jam2 and Drifter frames.

20181129_145055.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
You know what they say "size is not important" :) Going from 2.6 to 2.5, if all else was the same, would not be a motivation for change for me. What would motivate me is the performance I was getting on the trail being lacking in some way that concerned me.

There is a massive tyre thread to be found on this site, and I swear that I once read every single post on the topic. But I haven't done that for a while and I expect it is rather longer now, so good luck!

However, I actually did go from 2.6 to 2.5. But that was a consequence of being unhappy with the stock 29x2.6 Maxxis Rekons (3C front, 1C rear). After consulting the tyre thread and then feeding in my own experience, likes and dislikes etc, I decided upon Maxxis High Roller II. I wanted 3C front and 2C rear in 29x2.6. But I could not get them in a 2.6" wide format. What I could get was 2.5", 3C front and rear. The full spec is rather long, but here it is: 29 x 2.5 Maxxis High Roller II 3C WT Maxx Terra EXO TR. Each one weighs 1016 gm vs the 890gm of the Rekons.

3C = triple compound
WT = wide trail (better for wide rims)
Maxx = max grip, ie soft compound
EXO - sidewall puncture resistance
TR = tubeless ready

I reckoned that 0.1" on width was neither here nor there when compared to major differences in tread pattern and rubber compound. They have proved to be superb. No front wheel wash outs and no surprise rear wheel spin outs either. They clear mud well too.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
I have been happy with both the DHF 2.5 and the DHR ll 2.6 29ers this season. I believe the 2.5 is the most solid and robust tyre of these two.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles