Don't you just love Marketing ?

Kilham5

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Mar 12, 2020
North Yorkshire
Don't you just love marketing?

And it is not just the manufacturers hype, in faithful fashion the media laps it up, and in turn, so do us punters.

To quote EMBN show "Whyte have announced the arrival of the all-new E-160 with it's fresh new geometry".

Got me intrigued :unsure:

Here is a direct comparison of that "all-new" geometry against the 2020 E-150

- - - - - - - - - - Whyte E-160RS - - - - - Whyte E-150 RS
- - - - - - - - - - 2021 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - S2020 S
Baseline
Reach - - - - - - - - same - - - - - - - - - 430
Stack - - - - - - - - - same - - - - - - - - - 607.3
Top Tube - - - - - - 0.8mm shorter - - 580
Seat Tube C-T - - same - - - - - - - - - - 406.4
Head Angle - - - - same - - - - - - - - - - -65
Seat Angle - - - - - same - - - - - - - - - - 75.2
Head Tube - - - - - same - - - - - - - - - - 116
Chainstay - - - - 2mm longer - - - - - -440
Standover - - - - 3mm lower - - - - - - -810
BB Height - - - - same - - - - - - - - - - - 330
Seatpost - - - - - same - - - - - - - - - - - 30.9
- - - - - - - - - 2021 Whyte E-160RS - - 2020 Whyte E-150 RS

Ooooo.....

At least MBR were more reserved, saying the upgrades are not "category changing" and "the fundamental layout remains unchanged".

I am sure there will be someone on here that will actually notice the added stiffness of the Fox38, or that extra 10mm of travel at the limit.
No doubt the switch back to Rockshox for 2022 will coincide with the release of the new "42" made in Scotland from Girders" 162mm travel fork.

Keeps the world of commerce spinning I guess. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Lovely new colours and graphics though. (y)

Cheers Whyte for a great bike.

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
In the MBR video dont they say the 160 has a higher bb than the 150, which it logically would anyway even by just changing the fork - also given the 150 is now a 29'r for 2021i would have thought the geo would have changed on that too

Shane’o’Mac

Nov 27, 2020
Leicester
Yeah I try not to get caught up in the hype of new colours new geometry new tech etc....... last years bike is always more bike than I’m capable of pushing lol I’m massively overbiked on my 2020 e-180 RS

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
Yeah I try not to get caught up in the hype of new colours new geometry new tech etc....... last years bike is always more bike than I’m capable of pushing lol I’m massively overbiked on my 2020 e-180 RS
i'd probably have to go back 20 years with trail bikes to be 'under biked' for my current skill set. However, I'd also add that better bikes ride errr better, no matter what the skill level. I am riding my E160 much more confidently than my 2010 Foxy for instance, but Mr Peat is still going to kick my arse downhill, even if he's on my first ever rigid XC bike. Doesn't mean the E160 is wasted on me, but I'm sure I could be accused of being over-biked. I'd hammer him on a steep climb though:)

Shane’o’Mac

Nov 27, 2020
Leicester
Yeah that’s exactly it, mine really inspires me with confidence but also more than makes up for my lack of ability and my bad riding style! My mates say that it will take away riding experience cos it will handle everything I put it through without any skill level, however I wouldn’t hit half the stuff on my old bike! I’m having fun and loving every ride which is what counts! ?? Love e-bikes! Best thing since bread came cut really thin

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles