Don't ignore stiff cranks!!!

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Yup, don't worry, I was with you (y) It may look different on the outside...but that's it! Same on the inside.
Thanks for confirming Bearing Man. Sad and worrying to know Brose have done sweet FA to seal their newer 2019 model engines.

2019 Levo motors. Yes, we will make it lighter using magnesium, yes we will make it more powerful, what? add a simple seal or 2 into the engine to stop water getting in? No, sod that, that would be far too difficult to do....... This is hopefully why we will see more of the new IP67 rated Mahle motors in the next gen Specialized ebikes.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
You don't really notice a slightly stiff crank while pedalling forward, but if you turn your crank arms backwards and feel resistance you may want to dig a little deeper.

The main reason I am writing this post is because of several other posts I have seen on this issue where people with stiff cranks have been advised to "tip oil into the crank" or "just ride until it stops!". The truth is that a stiff crankshaft is usually caused by a dry crankshaft needle roller bearing. This bearing supports the
crankshaft within the sprocket carrier.

The bearing runs directly on the crankshaft and uses the motors crankshaft as the bearing surface, once this surface is damaged, it is GAME OVER!! You can't buy another one and our stocks are limited.

So what happens and why?
Brose have used a needle bearing with two rubber seals built into it. This is fairly common but this is a bearing designed to keep grease within itself, it's not really designed to keep water out, and this is what it's being used for! Once water breaches the seal, the bearing starts to fail, the worse the bearing gets the less effective the seals become, eventually letting water straight through into the motor.

If your bearing is bad then putting oil into it is like shutting the gate after the horse has bolted. All you are doing is filling your motor up with another substance that is not supposed to be in there (makes my life harder when cleaning it all out too!).

Take a look at some of the pictures below if you wan't to see what this bearing is capable of. (none of these motors had been jet washed)

View attachment 24992

View attachment 24993

View attachment 24994

View attachment 24995

View attachment 24996

View attachment 24997

View attachment 24998

Makes me glad I live in the desert and rarely wash my bike!

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
Whickham, Newcastle upon Tyne
I have a 2019 Kenevo bought in Nov 2018 and its already had a motor replacement after 6 months. I recently left the bike standing for 2 weeks whilst I was away and the cranks had 'siezed' - i.e. wouldn't freewheel backwards within the motor like normal. After a bit of pedalling forwards backwards they free'd up but now seem to make a small (but audible) scraping sound once per revolution when pedalled backwards. Motor is still under warranty till Nov 2020. The cranks rotate as normal for now. Do you think it's worth pursuing a warranty claim at this point or better to wait as late as possible before the warranty expires - assuming they don't keep 'seizing'?

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
2020 Levo with 500klms on it and I've washed it twice from new. Pedaling backwards was initially silent and drag free but the past week or so I was getting a wind up noise and the resistance starting increasing very slightly. Took it to the shop and they contacted Specialized. New motor ordered...coming from Singapore, hopefully get it this week.

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I don't know how Specialized are getting away with this, its outrageous.
The motors and electronics are not fit for purpose, and they've had years to rectify, they're basically sticking two fingers up at customers!

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Today while cleaning complete drivetrain I noticed slight rubbing sound (keep volume up or use headphones if you don't hear it) and some unusual/inconsistent resistance while rotating the spider forward - as you can see the cranck bump at specific angle - is this normal or is somewhat connected to the problem you are all talking about here? While I turning crank arm backwards I can't feel much of a resistance, just a bit of a swoosh sound ...

Last edited:

TomH79

Jan 5, 2020
Finland
Today while cleaning complete drivetrain I noticed slight rubbing sound (keep volume up or use headphones if you don't hear it) and some unusual/inconsistent resistance while rotating the spider forward - as you can see the cranck bump at specific angle - is this normal or is somewhat connected to the problem you are all talking about here? While I turning crank arm backwards I can't feel much of a resistance, just a bit of a swoosh sound ...

Thats a belt sound

Spicey

Nov 28, 2019
North Yorkshire
You don't really notice a slightly stiff crank while pedalling forward, but if you turn your crank arms backwards and feel resistance you may want to dig a little deeper.

The main reason I am writing this post is because of several other posts I have seen on this issue where people with stiff cranks have been advised to "tip oil into the crank" or "just ride until it stops!". The truth is that a stiff crankshaft is usually caused by a dry crankshaft needle roller bearing. This bearing supports the
crankshaft within the sprocket carrier.

The bearing runs directly on the crankshaft and uses the motors crankshaft as the bearing surface, once this surface is damaged, it is GAME OVER!! You can't buy another one and our stocks are limited.

So what happens and why?
Brose have used a needle bearing with two rubber seals built into it. This is fairly common but this is a bearing designed to keep grease within itself, it's not really designed to keep water out, and this is what it's being used for! Once water breaches the seal, the bearing starts to fail, the worse the bearing gets the less effective the seals become, eventually letting water straight through into the motor.

If your bearing is bad then putting oil into it is like shutting the gate after the horse has bolted. All you are doing is filling your motor up with another substance that is not supposed to be in there (makes my life harder when cleaning it all out too!).

Take a look at some of the pictures below if you wan't to see what this bearing is capable of. (none of these motors had been jet washed)

View attachment 24992

View attachment 24993

View attachment 24994

View attachment 24995

View attachment 24996

View attachment 24997

View attachment 24998
So how do we prevent this from happening in the future?

Spicey

Nov 28, 2019
North Yorkshire
I have a 2019 Kenevo bought in Nov 2018 and its already had a motor replacement after 6 months. I recently left the bike standing for 2 weeks whilst I was away and the cranks had 'siezed' - i.e. wouldn't freewheel backwards within the motor like normal. After a bit of pedalling forwards backwards they free'd up but now seem to make a small (but audible) scraping sound once per revolution when pedalled backwards. Motor is still under warranty till Nov 2020. The cranks rotate as normal for now. Do you think it's worth pursuing a warranty claim at this point or better to wait as late as possible before the warranty expires - assuming they don't keep 'seizing'?
I have the same issue with a kenevo, parked up for two weeks and now cranks jammed solid. Will not pedal backwards, going in for a replacement motor with another two years warranty, thats after 900miles riding through shit weather.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
I have the same issue with a kenevo, parked up for two weeks and now cranks jammed solid. Will not pedal backwards, going in for a replacement motor with another two years warranty, thats after 900miles riding through shit weather.
No 2 year rolling warranty mate just 2 year warranty from date or purchase I have been schooled on this !

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
New motor fitted. Apparently it a new 2.2 version. No idea what the changes to this motor are if any

4E1999EB-7564-44A4-B948-6EA38C7B9538.gif

sniffy

Feb 26, 2019
Warrington
Thanks Bearing man - Read this and checked - found stiff cranks, chain off and soaked with oil and after a two or three minutes rotating it freed off and feels and sounds OK, no bearing rumble detected
Not sure if I've been lucky and maybe the seal was dry but even though I check and lube regularly I never noticed the problem
So if the bearing do go, what's the fix ???

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
Whickham, Newcastle upon Tyne
Thanks Bearing man - Read this and checked - found stiff cranks, chain off and soaked with oil and after a two or three minutes rotating it freed off and feels and sounds OK, no bearing rumble detected
Not sure if I've been lucky and maybe the seal was dry but even though I check and lube regularly I never noticed the problem
So if the bearing do go, what's the fix ???
I thought he advised against adding oil?

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
“Edited” I love that “Consumer rights act” ! Spesh haven’t a leg to stand on with these motor claims , same with fox/marz shocks !

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles