Don't be a d@ck! Simple EMTB riding rules to follow!

Krisj

Patreon
May 1, 2018
Sheffield
@Coolbanana
R120 has made a valid point for over here in the uk , our local trails and trail centres can get very busy at times and the mtb scene is growing at a lot faster pace than the trail centres can build at .
I take it from your previous post you are one of the lucky ones who has the luxury of having trails pretty much to yourself.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I have to say nothing annoys me more, on any bike than someone sitting on my back wheel
I'm so remembering this incase we ever get to ride together. :devilish:
"I know a guy that'll get on your nerves... get on your nerves... get on your nerves ... get on your nerves"... "I know a guy that'll get on your nerves... get on your nerves... get on your nerves ... get on your nerves"... "I know a guy that'll get on your nerves... get on your nerves... get on your nerves ... get on your nerves"... "I kno... :sneaky:

One of the things I most like about group riding is trains. I absolutely love trains. And they just get better and better the longer they are, the closer, faster and the more conseqential the trail(s)
As with coolbanana I also like being in a tight well ridden road bunch.

Proper riding mates are fair game but never jump on a complete strangers wheel unless invited and snaking a random just isn't cool.

I hate rules but some folk do need the above etiquate and why it's dangerous politely explained to them.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Doesn't bother me at all personally, I'm used to it from riding in a peloton and racing for years - par for the course and perfectly normal to me! Indeed, sharing the workload in a headwind can be very welcome as is just meeting folks and riding with them for a bit. If they look like they are wanting to be alone, then fine, ignore them and ride past if they are slower; easy to find out, overtake and see if they grab my wheel in return.

On an MTB, I have never sat on anyone's wheel, I ride a few bike lengths behind, typically if I don't want to overtake for whatever reason, but never raced MTB and don't have the same sense of needing to be in front as I did years ago nor the same need to be riding hard all the time.
I'm that guy who speaks to every person I meet (Walkers, riders, whatever). if I catch up with a rider, no matter what type of ride or bike. I'll have greeted them (often before they've even noticed me behind) before passing and will often ride with them and have a blether for bit if they're friendly. Occasionally you get blanked which I find odd but it doesn't bother me and It's obviously their loss ;)

I've also worked taking turns with random other roadies many times who have not uttered a single word (just signalled) until we part ways. That's cool tho. it's a different sport and there's different ettiquate (or there was before the explosion of Sportive MAMILmania)

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I am talking about someone I dont know, I love riding in a train, and if road riding in a group its a different ballgame.

What I am referring too is when riding single track alone, if a faster rider comes up behind me I would rather they let themselves known, and I let them by, and vice versa. For me that's simple trail etiquette.

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
Get one of these, everyone will know you're coming or sitting on their rear wheel. You can pretend you're just being polite, the dirty little secret is that it lets you ride faster since everyone gets the hell out of your way.

Mountain Bike Bells by TIMBER

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
What I am referring too is when riding single track alone, if a faster rider comes up behind me I would rather they let themselves known, and I let them by, and vice versa. For me that's simple trail etiquette.

Blether works from infront too.

Just take control of the situation.

Maybe even have some fun with the least socially skilled offenders
eg. if they're fit but not so great at passing or manners you have them under your control to talk so much shit to them they'll wish they had never caught up with you. ;)

The above is a preview excerpt from my forthcoming book on cycling "Stopping folk to ask directions near the end of Strava segments and other fun activities" ;)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I actually love the older ramblers and walkers, they are the ones who return the greetings I usually send there way, the younger ones say nothing and look like they want to get a bit stabby with me.

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
On a road today transitioning between two trails, me in front mate behind ... my back wheel starts making a loud noise like it’s failed catastrophically and the tyre is seriously rubbing the frame. Followed by loud shots from my mate behind.

I hit the anchors in time to see my mate crash into the grass verge, my back wheel completely intact and unblemished.

Turns out the noise was his front tyre against my rear and he was shouting for me to speed up.

Wheel hogging can definately end in tears ?

Aceofnone82

May 18, 2023
Usa
I’ll add one. Yeild to all other riders. Since I’m trying to be a stealth as possible I yeild to pretty much anyone I meet on the trail. I can use my assist to help get start up the hill to allow someone else to descend. Trying to be an EMTB ambassador in a not very e-friend area.
I feel like this one goes a long way towards ebike acceptance

Kingerz

Jul 11, 2021
Australia
  1. Don't use Turbo: This has its place, such as on road sections or certain uphillflow.
  2. Never lead the Wolfpack: I would never ride at a slow dull, slow pace to save someone's 'feelings' regardless of bike, it'll annoy them more having you idling along behind them as they sweat.
  3. Let others ride your bike:Not often, people break things and I'm not a salesman!
  4. Keep a higher and smoother cadence: Agreed.
  5. Be a pack rat: This is for all riders
  6. Don't get cocky!: Agreed.
  7. Don't go against the flow: Agreed.
  8. Be honest: Agreed!
  9. Get your hands dirty!: This is for all riders.
  10. Pass sensibly: This is for all riders

target2804

Apr 26, 2023
Germany
I highly disagree with the „don’t use the turbo mode“ rule. The turbo is there to use it and I want to have fun without being absolutely exhausted after 2-3 climbs. I try to keep my heart rate at 140-145. Turbo mode is a blessing there. I also sometimes use the turbo to get out of some corners with decent speed. It’s just so much fun to just accelerate

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I never thought of rules before but I’m gonna send this list to all my eMTB friends, my wife, my girlfriend and trail dog.
Btw, I break rule #7 often, almost daily, when the trails are quiet in the morning. 👍🏻

Aceofnone82

May 18, 2023
Usa
I think riding slow on popular green trails should be an unwritten rule as well. I found myself flying down a flat twisty green and it was awesome because the ebike basically made the whole trail feel like a steep downhill. I then realized that I could easily smash in to some kid or family coming around a corner or trying to double up on jumps

Malcb

Apr 26, 2023
Staffordshire UK
Since joining the Emtb revolution, I've come up with my own rules to ensure the peace is kept on the trails with the "unassisted".

Make more friends by:
  1. Don't use Turbo: I seriously can't think of a single time where I needed my TURBO mode. If you're in turbo, chances are you're probably riding like an arsehole.
  2. Never lead the Wolfpack: I notice my group of (non EMTB) riding buddies went cold on me once I started leaving them in the dust on the climbs or when my pace isn't sustainable on a normal bike. Stay behind and have a chat!
  3. Let others ride your bike: If you're a trusting individual, be sure to share the joy of the Emtb. Many folks hide their curiosity or replace it with negetives comments. You may even convert them.
  4. Keep a higher and smoother cadence: This is good method to make sure you keep in the trails in good condition whilst saving juice.it's tempting to ride a higher gear with the assist but you'll find the power surge causes slipping and/or wheeling. Very annoying for others.
  5. Be a pack rat: Carry a comprehensive set of tools, spares, food and water. Not only for yourself but for your fellow trail users who will remember the Emtbr who saved their bacon!
  6. Don't get cocky!: This is a big one. There is no one more hated on the hill than the loud-mouth on an Ebike, telling others to "keep up" or "beep beep, coming through".
  7. Don't go against the flow: Yes, you can bike up downhill trails, but you shouldn't.
  8. Be honest: You don't need to claim to have sort of phantom injury to justify your Emtb ownership! If you love to ride then an Emtb let do more of what you love.
  9. Get your hands dirty!: I challenge you to at least 1 bit of track maintenance on every ride whether it be kicking a few stones of the track, removing a fallen tree or getting involved with track building, it's a lot fun and banks up karma.
  10. Pass sensibly: Wait for a safe spot to overtake and don't breathe down a slower riders neck either. The wwwrrrring of an electric-motor may trigger them to harass you.
What rules do you ride by?

I would say all of them, track maintenance is usually picking up some litter, try to bring something back every ride.

The no Turbo thing, if your riding with analogue bikes it should be Eco only, but if riding with other e-bikes and it’s not busy, sure I have been out in a group of three where we have pushed hard everywhere and used turbo… a lot.

The cadence point is right although I don’t think it high cadence reduces wheel slip, if anything it is likely to cause more? In the really dusty loose conditions Eco and steady power a couple cogs down from the biggest are the seat way to get up.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles