Don’t pressure wash, wish I’d listened

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
Stripped the rear mech on my 160 AT last weekend to give it a clean after a muddy ride, found the bearings in the jockey wheels almost ceased. Thought I‘d check some of the other bearings in the rear suspension assembly, almost all of them looked like this.

I thought I was taking care to avoid bearings when pressure washing my bikes, especially the motor bearings, but I can only imagine pressure washing has cleared out the grease making room for mud?

I've read a couple of posts on here warning against using a pressure washer, well now I see why.

What I did find odd is there were several different types of bearing sealS installed, some much better than others at keeping the grease in and crap out. Not sure Cube’s QC is the best. Given all the bearings in this assembly don’t move much it would make sense, to me at least, to install a bearing with a snugger seal fit, as resistance isn’t that important.

Having read quite a bit on this in the last couple of days, I’ve concluded Enduro bearing LLU seal, is probably the best for this job. Please let me know if anyone has an alternative view.

1575829829495.jpeg

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
havent tried it with the ebike yet as its only a month old and I dont pressure wash it but when I had the MX bike I used to strip the pivot and wheel bearings every month and repack them with marine grease, I used to do the same with lithium grease on my old MTB and rarely had to replace bearings cos of it..
would be interested to see what other folk do for bearing maintenance.

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
havent tried it with the ebike yet as its only a month old and I dont pressure wash it but when I had the MX bike I used to strip the pivot and wheel bearings every month and repack them with marine grease, I used to do the same with lithium grease on my old MTB and rarely had to replace bearings cos of it..
would be interested to see what other folk do for bearing maintenance.
I’ll probably do something similar now, perhaps not monthly though.

Reactions: MsO

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I'm not sure your washing method is the sole cause of this, my bearings looked much the same, and I've never pressure washed.
I just think our winter destroys bearings.
I think a re grease every 2 to 3 months is a good prevention measure.

BigLee

Jul 12, 2019
Lake District cumbria
I've re greased my jocky wheels also, cube is a bit tight with grease in those areas so don't be too hard on yourself ? check your head bearings as well, mine were lacking grease on the outside and a little corrosion was starting

Bertquist

Sep 9, 2019
Alabama
I was a skeptic at first about being able to clean the bike with Bike Wash and wipes but after trying it no longer use a hose.
Just spray it down with the Bike Wash and let it soak a minute or so and then use the Bike Wipes to wipe her down../

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
i let it all dry, then use the vacuum with the brush attatchment and finally cleaner sprayed on a rag and degreaser/wax for the drivetrain

BigLee

Jul 12, 2019
Lake District cumbria
I checked my suspension bearings and they were still loaded with a white waterproof grease ? sensible use of a pressure washer is the key ?️?
If you wouldn't spray yourself in the face with that pressure don't spray your bike with it ?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I've re greased my jocky wheels also, cube is a bit tight with grease in those areas so don't be too hard on yourself ? check your head bearings as well, mine were lacking grease on the outside and a little corrosion was starting

What is a jocky wheel?

Jona

Jan 24, 2020
Belgium
I think the degrease bike-soap can also cause grease to migrate out of bearings. I avoid usage of soap or degreaser. I use wax on the chain and silicone on the frame.

Reactions: MsO

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
I’ve always pressured washed all my MTB’s and now e-MTB’s, there’s no better and quicker way to shift that caked on thick sludge after a Full days riding. As long as you keep directed power spray away from delicate parts or add a good bit of distance from the nozzle too all is fine. Finally a good dry and re-lube and it’s as good as new, what’s so lazy about that..?! Bearings will look like that without power washing just from shit and wet they collect if not maintained properly, and it takes seconds to remove ebike motor cover to dry/ remove any FOD, so crack on!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles