• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Does switching off save the battery enough to bother?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I asked this question on another thread when someone suggested that he often switched the motor off to save the battery. Now I know that when the motor is switched on but the bike is above the cutoff speed, the only juice being used is to power the display and maybe to process the inputs before deciding to do nothing. My belief is that all of that would be minimal and not worth bothering with. Or am I not thinking about this the correct way, or just misinformed? :unsure:

If your motor has low/zero drag, then it is easy to pedal the bike without assistance when on the flat or close to flat. Therefore if you are below the cutoff speed with the motor off then you are definitely saving the battery. But that was not the context of the comment that got me started.

I'm new to the emtb game and if there is some secret knowledge, then I'd love to know! :)

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
There is no meaningful reduction in power usage when you are riding at above 25kph with the bike turned off vs turned on. However, you will have saved some juice peddling it between 0-25kph unassisted. Exavltly how much will depend on the terrain - lots of savings on an uphill, not very much if you were descending.

Reactions: S D

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Kinda vague. Are you even sure that's what they said? I ask as I ride a lot with my motor in "off" (while switched on). For a variety of reasons though. Not just to conserve battery. and mentioned so in the thread you're talking about.

Why not just tag them in the actual thread? Seems even less likely they'll respond to a new thread.

Last edited:

Lad

Nov 15, 2018
Australia
[QUOTE="steve_sordy, post: 48934, member: 1700"... when the motor is switched on but the bike is above the cutoff speed, the only juice being used is to power the display and maybe to process the inputs before deciding to do nothing. My belief is that all of that would be minimal and not worth bothering with. [/QUOTE]

Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to give the answer supported by hard facts (i.e. actual current measurements), but you are right in assuming that only the LCD display and power ON button LED will contribute to the battery drain. If you managed to leave them on (they will shut down automatically after certain period of time if bike is stationary) it would take several days to deplete 375W battery in your Focus. The processor unit draws bugger all current.

So my educated guess is - don't bother, leave it on.

Cheers.

eBikeLife

Jan 19, 2019
Bulgaria
Not an expert at all, but i seen a EMBN video on youtube not long ago, where one of guys said he himself cutoff the engine to save battery if he is in need. Those guys are (as far as i understand), top notch, so im guessing it is valid enough. I do it myself also.

Lee67

Nov 21, 2018
Yorkshire
I ride my Giant stance alot with no assistance, but still switched on... uses no battery that we’d notice.. it was getting to the point that on a 35/40 mile ride with 2500 ft of climbing id still have 50% battery left sometimes more !!!... i can achieve this because im quite fit but my last few rides ive actually left the assistance in eco+ and enjoyed myself ...

bissona

Patreon
Oct 14, 2018
Guernsey
Have done a number of rides where we've come back running on vapours, and noticed that by far the lion's share of the range damage is done on hills where the motor is using >50% of the power.

I can't imagine turning the bike off when using tiny drips of motor power, or none at all, saves a material amount of energy. That said, would love to have a continuously updating range forecast on screen, one that takes into account the remainder of your route (or a potential route back to the start of your ride) so it could alert you when you're about to go past the 'point fo no return'!

That's why I get a bit excited by bikes like the new Haibike Flyons, where there is the potential to integrate navigation with battery data.

In the meantime I've just tuned Eco down to pretty minimal settings, and can usually stretch it out a long way if need be. Worst case, pump the tyres up and text home to say I'll be late!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I can't imagine turning the bike off when using tiny drips of motor power, or none at all, saves a material amount of energy.
I often do at least a couple of thousand feet of climbing while my motor is in "off" mode. but even on the flat an emtb encourages you to ride at 14mph rather than 10mph for the same effort. you're still saving battery on the flat by switching to off, just not as much. plus how much you use/save increases in wind resistance the faster you ride (far more of an issue if you're de-restricted)

Reactions: PGR

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I often do at least a couple of thousand feet of climbing while my motor is in "off" mode. but even on the flat an emtb encourages you to ride at 14mph rather than 10mph for the same effort. you're still saving battery on the flat by switching to off, just not as much. plus how much you use/save increases in wind resistance the faster you ride (far more of an issue if you're de-restricted)

You have a good point there , human nature can be the only explanation for me .
I was only thinking about this Sunday , I went out on my roadie and took my old stepdad with me on his ebike , on the level into a headwind we pedaled along together just below 15mph , then came a long hill , I dropped to about 6mph in places he turned up his power and continued up the hill at almost the same speed leaving me standing , I could see no reason other than the fact that he could . Later in the ride I noticed a little battery anxiety as the wind was behind us and my roadie wanted to cruise about 15mph but the next hill was still tackled at full power on the ebike ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Kinda vague. Are you even sure that's what they said? I ask as I ride a lot with my motor in "off" (while switched on). For a variety of reasons though. Not just to conserve battery. and mentioned so in the thread you're talking about.

Why not just tag them in the actual thread? Seems even less likely they'll respond to a new thread.
If I could remember what thread it was, I would have done so. I always use the "New Posts" button and only read the ones that look interesting or useful, or that I have already contributed to. After a while if no new posts are added, it just disappears as far as I'm concerned.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Does anyone else ride in "off" mode? - EMTB Forums

Ah.. it was tucked away in the Cube manufacturers section so easy to miss. (I only replied as someone tagged me in it). I also tend to just look at "new posts" unless I'm starting a thread or looking for some thing specific
Using the forum search function and putting in your own member name and what you asked (if you can remember) can find your own posts quickly.
or if you can't you can also hover over your own (or anyone's) name/avitar next to their posts
<<------- there and click on the number under" messages" to view your/their entire posing history post by post
sorta pointless now your question has been answered but might be handy for you to know as there's tons of info in this forum but be ing split into so many sub forums not all is in obvious places,

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I do the same ,mainly just look at new posts , it’s not until you go in search of a post that you realise just how big this place has become .

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Personally I quite like the preset Eco level, as I know I can do anything in it, so if I am hitting low battery I am not too worried about finishing off a ride in Eco, whereas if I lowered it I can see some of my local hills being right buggers.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles