Does riding slow risk your warranty? Edit - no

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
My 2018 pwx has been intermittently dropping assist for a while - first noticed when my knees screamed out on a technical rocky section as I went from full to zero assistance, but also noticed as a weird surging feeling towing my kid uphill. Yesterday I spent 2 hours in the car getting it to the dealer, and after plugging the bike in giant decides I must have a derestricting device based on an average speed of 7.2 kph over the last 800 k's! WTF ? They didn't even notice / consider that 75% of my riding was done with less that 100% assistance, and only 10 % is in full assistance ?

Thankfully the dealer listened when I explained most of my riding is done with my kids, and if they dug a little deeper they'd notice I'd DETUNED the bike so my assistance settings are 50% , 75% , 150% , 250% then 360% . Hardly the settings you'd find on a speed crazed law breaker!

To add insult to , well, the insult - the giant computer is detecting errors related to wheel diameter and drivetrain communication. I'm reasonably confident the magnet hasn't been triggering the speed sensor properly - most likely an issue with the speed sensor itself because I've been noticing for a while that the bike seems to be using more w per km recorded than previously ( roughly 30% ...which would fit with every third pass being missed? ) . I might try running my gps whilst I ride and compare distances - hopefully that'll give a reasonably clear answer.

This whole experience has me wondering just how primitive the derestricting detection process is. I'm going to be extremely pissed If giant tries to void my warranty because I've been riding GENTLER than average!!!!

Last edited:

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Does the bike shut off or just drop assist level?

Surging while towing, would seem somewhat normal, depending on many variables. But, I've only towed the trash can myself and the Trance does surge a little while towing. How could it be otherwise with the weight of the towed object swinging like a pendulum off the back of the bike?

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
The assistance completely shuts off - only for a fraction of a second but long enough for my knees to scream and long enough for the assistance bar on my evo screen to drop to zero and then come back on again. I'm only noticing in high torque situations, like towing or when riding steep technical terrain , but I suspect this might have been happening across all levels for a few weeks without me noticing because I'd been returning from rides with knee cap pain.

The shop has uploaded the latest software and once the bushfire smoke clears enough I'll head out for another ride with a gps

BTW - I'm towing using a trax ( Discover what a TRAXmtb is! Bike Trailer - Bike Hook - Bike Attach ) and it's surprisingly smooth the rest of the time ( at least with a competent rider being towed) . We've worked out that she can catch up / ride a little closer for corners so she's not being towed, then on the straights I take up the slack again.

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Update - no, riding slow hasn't voided my warranty.

In fact, Giant and my lbs have gone above and beyond to fix this ! Lots of time in the workshop, the owner then went out and set some new KOM's without noticing any issues, but error codes are still coming up so my 2018 full e pro is getting a brand new 2020 motor ! Don't tell the dealer that I was about to buy a new bike if they couldn't fix it.....

Awesome support from giant australia and riviera cycles in Bairnsdale !

Browneye

Feb 27, 2020
So-CAL
It seems the new app version for assist tuning has limited settings - not a sliding scale.
For example, level one has option for 75 or 100%, that's it, and similar for the others. So you can tune it back a little, or full for that setting, but not as you have been doing.

Consider doing the ridecontrol firmware update if it hasn't been done.

Greetings from the other forum... :giggle:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles