Does my damper need a bleed? Is yours this noisy?

Leethal1

Dec 4, 2018
SoCal
Mine made some sound like that this morning thought it was the fork... but it was dark and i was descending so I didn't pay much attention.

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
i think what you can hear is the grease/oil passing between the positive and negative chambers. I had the same problem with a fox shock, when i took the can off its was full of grease, i replaced the grease with shock oil and its been silent ever since

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I found it difficult to tell it was even the shock. Sounded like it could have been anything from pivots creaking to tyres squashing. But if it sounds like a squelching noise, then that is air foamed up in the oil. I don't know what causes it for certain, and I don't know how serious it is. I had it once on a Fox RP23 and as it was about to go for a full service (the first), I ignored it for the few rides I had it. It was gone when it came a back and never recurred over the next three years when I sold the bike.

Are there any conditions under which it does not occur, like no rebound damping, or no compression damping? Implying it is foaming oil squeezing through narrow ports or between washers. Maybe you are running out of oil in the shock, ie too much air. (Guessing).

estoril

Patreon
Sep 28, 2018
UK
mine makes a small squishing type noise but only right at the top of the travel, once i am on the bike it's fine

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
I'd say it needs a rebuild. Shocks are never silent, and some do make a whooshing noise on longer stroke events, but that sounds like air & oil mixed, which isn't what you want.

caterhamnut

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
South West
My '18 is in under warranty for the same noises (and because I had to pump it up before every other ride, and the lock-out failed!)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles