• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Does anyone use Tannus Armour in their tyres?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Just ordered a Tannus armour insert for rear tyre to protect the tube which has been punctured 3 times in my first 2 weeks of riding a new ebike.
Does anyone have experience of this product? Is it any good?
80156774-C5F0-45A2-BE17-B6E743DB231B.jpeg

Galaxyride

Sep 29, 2019
Napa, Ca
I’m Tannus curious too (don’t judge), found a couple reviews but there’s not a lot of opinions or experiences...at least stateside from what my searches have turned up.

Update: Here is the best review I found.

Tannus Armour Tire Inserts

If you read the comments the author signals his personal preference.

Last edited:

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I will be once I get around to it. Mate of mine runs them and raves about them. Seem to get good reviews too. Price is reasonable and less mess than tubeless. And no more toping up sealant .

MitchF

E*POWAH Elite
Jun 1, 2019
Mirokumk38
A lot of interest lately, I think they're great.
Tried tubeless, kept getting leaks, could have been my bad fitting job.
Had tubes and Tannus in for over 300mls now, majority off road.
They are firm even at 20-22psi, so you can go 16-18 easily.
I find 18 is the sweet spot on mine with the current tyres, that may change in wInter when I put some more aggressive boots on. They'e still stable in corners and take any hits, roots and rocks, not had a puncture :)
You can fit yourself, its relatively easy, just be methodical and take your time and have "good" levers.
I'm 27.5 x 2.6, Tannus are 2.5 but dont let that put you off, I spoke to Tannus direct before buying and they confirmed they'll be fine in a 2.6, they are :)
£29.99 each, but they don't need any maintenance, just bought another two for my wife's E-cube.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
A lot of interest lately, I think they're great.
Tried tubeless, kept getting leaks, could have been my bad fitting job.
Had tubes and Tannus in for over 300mls now, majority off road.
They are firm even at 20-22psi, so you can go 16-18 easily.
I find 18 is the sweet spot on mine with the current tyres, that may change in wInter when I put some more aggressive boots on. They'e still stable in corners and take any hits, roots and rocks, not had a puncture :)
You can fit yourself, its relatively easy, just be methodical and take your time and have "good" levers.
I'm 27.5 x 2.6, Tannus are 2.5 but dont let that put you off, I spoke to Tannus direct before buying and they confirmed they'll be fine in a 2.6, they are :)
£29.99 each, but they don't need any maintenance, just bought another two for my wife's E-cube.

Thanks, very useful info. I’ve ordered one and will try it on the back wheel.

MitchF

E*POWAH Elite
Jun 1, 2019
Mirokumk38
Just reflecting, you also get a damping effect/feeling that you notice when you've fitted them, I notice it most when pumping on lower pressure.
Another advantage is if you run summer & winter tyres , they just change with the tyres no extra cost, I believe tubeless would require the fluid changing.;)

Lleknird

Aug 7, 2019
Hertfordshire
Hi Mitch - my second ebike ride ended in a puncture, along way from home! Had to call the wife to pick me up, didn’t take a repair kit with me so I’ve been googling ways to make her less mad! Ha
Are you still rolling with Tannus? Does it effect the handling? Thanks!

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Hi Mitch - my second ebike ride ended in a puncture, along way from home! Had to call the wife to pick me up, didn’t take a repair kit with me so I’ve been googling ways to make her less mad! Ha
Are you still rolling with Tannus? Does it effect the handling? Thanks!

I’ve had 7 punctures in the space of 3 weeks recently. There are more patches than tube in my tyres now.
I’m resisting going tubeless. I’ve got 29 inch 2.6 wide Nobby Nics. Have also bought the Tannus armour but not fitted it yet. I’m worried that it may affect battery life because of the extra weight. I’ll use as a last resort.
I’ve also got a couple of slime tubes but I’m not using them as I’m worried they may explode and I’ll have green gunk everywhere and it still won’t solve the problem of punctures.
The last few weeks have been ok and no punctures so I’m guessing September was the month for thorns and now they have pretty much turned to mush. If i get any more issues I’ll have to insert the Tannus armour.

What caused your puncture?

MitchF

E*POWAH Elite
Jun 1, 2019
Mirokumk38
Still no punctures , the difference of the extra weight is negligible.
I run 20lb pressure F/R

In my opinion, tubes, armour inserts or tubeless, you still need to look down the trail at what’s coming and ride light.
If you plough through everything thinking indestructible , not that you are, it has to back fire at some point.

Does sound like you’ve had bad luck ?

Lleknird

Aug 7, 2019
Hertfordshire
I’ve had 7 punctures in the space of 3 weeks recently. There are more patches than tube in my tyres now.
I’m resisting going tubeless. I’ve got 29 inch 2.6 wide Nobby Nics. Have also bought the Tannus armour but not fitted it yet. I’m worried that it may affect battery life because of the extra weight. I’ll use as a last resort.
I’ve also got a couple of slime tubes but I’m not using them as I’m worried they may explode and I’ll have green gunk everywhere and it still won’t solve the problem of punctures.
The last few weeks have been ok and no punctures so I’m guessing September was the month for thorns and now they have pretty much turned to mush. If i get any more issues I’ll have to insert the Tannus armour.

What caused your puncture?
A huge thorn on an unused bridleway. It went through two sides by the time I noticed. It was frustrating as I was a long way from home without a repair kit. Maybe I just need to be more organised!

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
A huge thorn on an unused bridleway. It went through two sides by the time I noticed. It was frustrating as I was a long way from home without a repair kit. Maybe I just need to be more organised!

Nasty. I’ve had a five mile walk home from one of them in the pouring rain. Now I carry a repair kit including gas canisters in a bottle cage holder

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I’m resisting going tubeless. .................
Why are you resisting going tubeless? Once you have the knack it's easy to do. I have used Slime tubes years ago and soon stopped, they are soooooo heavy and confer few advantages to being tubeless (IMO). In fact the only one I can think of is that it is quicker to change one tyre for another, but how often do you do that?

More importantly, punctures themselves are not the problem! The sealant deals with the punctures. The problem is getting a flat tyre. Unless you get the sort of ding or slash* that would ruin a tubed tyre, then tubeless with sealant will keep you going. I have had tyres with over two dozen punctures yet I never had one flat. In fact I never noticed at the time of the puncture, the bike just kept going!

*If you do get such a ding/slash, then deal with it in the same way that you would if your set up was a tubed tyre.

Lleknird

Aug 7, 2019
Hertfordshire
Why are you resisting going tubeless? Once you have the knack it's easy to do. I have used Slime tubes years ago and soon stopped, they are soooooo heavy and confer few advantages to being tubeless (IMO). In fact the only one I can think of is that it is quicker to change one tyre for another, but how often do you do that?

More importantly, punctures themselves are not the problem! The sealant deals with the punctures. The problem is getting a flat tyre. Unless you get the sort of ding or slash* that would ruin a tubed tyre, then tubeless with sealant will keep you going. I have had tyres with over two dozen punctures yet I never had one flat. In fact I never noticed at the time of the puncture, the bike just kept going!

*If you do get such a ding/slash, then deal with it in the same way that you would if your set up was a tubed tyre.[/QUOTE

*If you do get such a ding/slash, then deal with it in the same way that you would if your set up was a tubed tyre.
I think my tyres are set up for tubeless. May have to look at a few video to see how to set them up, then decide. Just heard of a lot of people saying it’s difficult which had put me off!

Jamy

Sep 24, 2019
rotherham
The biggest tyre killer for me is GLASS on the commute to work. I don't think tubeless would help against the slashes you get from glass. I've just ordered a couple of Tannus inserts. I used to run marathon plus on the old bike but the new E-bike has 2.6 tyres and the marthons don't go near that size

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles