Does anyone ride Lapierre?

Reuben

Apr 7, 2019
TN40 1RL
I think I've narrowed my choice for my first EMTB down to the Lapierre Overvolt AM 627i, but the closest I can get to a test ride is on the Lapierre Overvolt AM 400i.

These bikes seem totally different so far as the components - different motor, suspension, battery, everything down to the tyres it comes with. Even the frame geometry looks slightly different because of the battery set up.

Despite myself I really like the look of the integrated battery and the Overvolt 627i seems to come with such great specs - I like what Ive read about fox suspension (it has the fox 36 float emtb performance forks, and fox float at the rear) and the steps e8000 motor sounds great, but I've been able to read up on all the components individually, found this bike that seems built straight out the top of my wishlist and then found it really tough to find any specific reviews for this model.

Anyone out there got one? Can i really get a feel for the am 627 by hiring an am 400?

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Welcome! I have an Overvolt AM 927i and love it - and I know a few other members ride them. I don't think using the 400i would be a good way to compare as so many differences … (But I've never seen/tried the 400i).

That sounds a really good price though.

I've never had any problems with mine, but a couple have recently if you want to read these threads:
The only real things I would improve on the bike would be:
  • Better battery lock (gets sticky so need to keep lubed)
  • Reduced weight (it's at the heavier end of the spectrum, but I only notice when I need to lift it over a gate etc).
Everything else about the design I find great :)

Reuben

Apr 7, 2019
TN40 1RL
Welcome! I have an Overvolt AM 927i and love it - and I know a few other members ride them. I don't think using the 400i would be a good way to compare as so many differences … (But I've never seen/tried the 400i).

That sounds a really good price though.

I've never had any problems with mine, but a couple have recently if you want to read these threads:
The only real things I would improve on the bike would be:
  • Better battery lock (gets sticky so need to keep lubed)
  • Reduced weight (it's at the heavier end of the spectrum, but I only notice when I need to lift it over a gate etc).
Everything else about the design I find great :)

The 927i certainly seems closer in spec than the 400i. From what i can see you've got a few nice carbon components, the fox factory suspension and different brake system? That about right?

I reckon I've got about 50 hours of research under my belt in the last few weeks but the only ebikes I've ridden have been cheap commuter style ones (got to say even those out a huge smile on my face!) so I'm going to be sensible and take a proper emtb out for a spin before I commit to buying one, just to be on the safe side!!

I know whatever I go for I'll love it and I'm sure I'll never look back, but budgeting up to around £4000 for a bike and it'll be the most expensive thing I've ever bought and I want to try and get it right if I can.

Reuben

Apr 7, 2019
TN40 1RL
And thanks for the links to the other articles, i did dig through and find those already but it's not enough to make me worried. Im surprised more people dont have these Lapierres, i know you cant just go off the component spec but (to an inexperienced newb) these seem to look great on paper!

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Yep the frames of the 627 and 927 are exactly the same I think, just different colours with different components. The only carbon on mine was the handlebar, which isn't really needed, but hey :)

I remember buying a bike a few years ago for £2k and thinking that was crazy expensive, but then you get sucked in more and more :)

Alan51

Mar 25, 2019
Tiverton, Devon
I think I've narrowed my choice for my first EMTB down to the Lapierre Overvolt AM 627i, but the closest I can get to a test ride is on the Lapierre Overvolt AM 400i.

These bikes seem totally different so far as the components - different motor, suspension, battery, everything down to the tyres it comes with. Even the frame geometry looks slightly different because of the battery set up.

Despite myself I really like the look of the integrated battery and the Overvolt 627i seems to come with such great specs - I like what Ive read about fox suspension (it has the fox 36 float emtb performance forks, and fox float at the rear) and the steps e8000 motor sounds great, but I've been able to read up on all the components individually, found this bike that seems built straight out the top of my wishlist and then found it really tough to find any specific reviews for this model.

Anyone out there got one? Can i really get a feel for the am 627 by hiring an am 400?
Hi I've just bought a lapierre overvolt am 527i and it's my first emtb, very happy with it, I've only had two rides on it so far and no problems.

Reuben

Apr 7, 2019
TN40 1RL
I've just been out for a ride on an overvolt AM 400i - hired it from Quench at Bedgebury and spent two hours riding round the red route with the most massive smile on my face. First go on a proper mtb, let alone an emtb and I'm totally sold. Found it a really solid, comfortable ride, felt really confident on it. This bike retails for about 600 less than the one I'd been looking at - what benefits are there to going for the higher spec? Could it really be even more fun and exciting!?!?! ????

I was looking last night and I was also considering the cube stereo hybrid 140 SL 500 (£3300 at rutland at the moment)

Or Scott e-genius 710 (£3510 at rutland)

Any tips to help me decide?

IMG-20190408-WA0000.jpeg

Screenshot_20190408-113708_Chrome.jpg

Kangr

Patreon
Sep 14, 2018
Stoke on Trent
I have been riding a 729i shimano equipped lapierre and I find it a very nice bike to ride.
I have not tried a yamaha motor yet, but those in the industry really rate yamaha pw, so I wouldn't worry about the motor system.

When choosing a emtb for the most part use the same guidelines as picking a normal mtb.

1) first of all consider the things that are harder to change down the line, this is normally the frame, but in the case of emtbs its the motor system as well.
With the frame your looking at geometry and suspension system (not the shocks but how the linkage works, as shocks can always be swapped) also think if you want a 27.5 or 29er bike.

2) then consider the fork and shocks, will they do what you want. Will you be doing hard core Enduro stages or big drops where a sturdier fork is required or are you riding mainly trail centres where for the most part any fork will do.
Again if your riding bigger stuff do you need a coil or will the air shock be fine. (air shocks are mostly fine)

3) then look at things like drivetrain and brakes, for the most part these are usually ok as spec level in this area doesnt always come with better performance.

4) lastly look at things like bars and saddles.
bars will generally be fine whatever they are. Saddles are a very personal preference and its only by riding different types will you find out what suites you. but a good saddle is not necessarily a expensive saddle. I've swapped out expensive saddles for charge spoon before now as i find it more comfortable.

The bike your looking at, looks like a good bike and if you took it for a ride and like it then thats a good indication that this bike is one that you would be happy with. If its also cheaper then even better.

Comparing this bike to the 627i you originally mentioned, for a start they are different motor systems and a different frame design so I think that they would ride different so riding one is not a sign that you would like the other. aside from the the motor and frame the 627i does come with better forks and a better shock that could handle most things you could through at them. I'm not sure what the rockshox suspension is like but i would expect for normal trail riding it will be fine. could someone else comment on the rockshox fork and shock please.
The 627i also has a slacker head angle which would probably make it a better descender. the am 400i as a 67 degree head angle this i would consider a little steep but on the 729i that i have been riding it has not been a problem and feels slacker. Now i dont know if this bike has been altered to make it slacker or not so bare that in mind.

Once again if you've ridden the bike and like it then thats a stronger recommendation over a bike you have not ridden. even two bike from different manufacturers with the same geometry and spec can ride different. So if you've test ridden a bike and like out it rides make that a big tick in the positive when considering bikes.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
I've just been out for a ride on an overvolt AM 400i - hired it from Quench at Bedgebury and spent two hours riding round the red route with the most massive smile on my face. First go on a proper mtb, let alone an emtb and I'm totally sold. Found it a really solid, comfortable ride, felt really confident on it. This bike retails for about 600 less than the one I'd been looking at - what benefits are there to going for the higher spec? Could it really be even more fun and exciting!?!?! ????

I was looking last night and I was also considering the cube stereo hybrid 140 SL 500 (£3300 at rutland at the moment)

Or Scott e-genius 710 (£3510 at rutland)

Any tips to help me decide?

Full suspension rocks for starters :) I love how comfortable they are.

@Kangr gives some great tips there!

The experienced (e)MTBers here all seem to say choose first based on the frame & geometry for the type of riding you want to do - which can be hard if you don't necessarily know yet! You could end up doing different riding than you thought. Erring towards more suspension travel seems less of a problem for eMTB than for normal MTB (where it is supposed to make going uphill harder) - 150mm (or 160mm) like the 400i seems a good starting point.

Components can all be changed/upgraded later if you decide to (apart from motor like Kangr says). Note the motor can affect the feel of riding plus things like the display, mode shifting (paddles/buttons), battery (shape, size, range), and any apps/devices you might want to use with the bike (for changing the way the motor works and recording information about your ride etc). I think the only way you could know yourself which motor you prefer the feel of would be to actually try them all (no help I know, sorry!)

Kangr

Patreon
Sep 14, 2018
Stoke on Trent
Full suspension rocks for starters :) I love how comfortable they are.

@Kangr gives some great tips there!

The experienced (e)MTBers here all seem to say choose first based on the frame & geometry for the type of riding you want to do - which can be hard if you don't necessarily know yet! You could end up doing different riding than you thought. Erring towards more suspension travel seems less of a problem for eMTB than for normal MTB (where it is supposed to make going uphill harder) - 150mm (or 160mm) like the 400i seems a good starting point.

Components can all be changed/upgraded later if you decide to (apart from motor like Kangr says). Note the motor can affect the feel of riding plus things like the display, mode shifting (paddles/buttons), battery (shape, size, range), and any apps/devices you might want to use with the bike (for changing the way the motor works and recording information about your ride etc). I think the only way you could know yourself which motor you prefer the feel of would be to actually try them all (no help I know, sorry!)
But it is demo bike season look at trail centres and bike shops near/or within travelling distance from you, and you can try out a bunch of bikes and motors. even if its not a bike you would consider but its the only one there with the motor system that is one you want to try, try it.
you will most likly find that if you've not ridden a emtb before that all the motors are good but they all have different characteristics that you might or might not get on with.

Oh and one last tip. Make sure that the battery is easily removable for charging/storage

Reuben

Apr 7, 2019
TN40 1RL
After speaking to the shop I've hired from and doing a bit of research, lapierre arent stocking small frames with any of their UK suppliers until at least September, so back to the drawing board for me...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles