Does anyone else ride in "off" mode?

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Well... er... not exactly impossible...

;)

Believe it or not I don't actually have a backpack. In 30 years of mtbing I've never owned one. I'd rather not ride at all than ride wearing one.
Where do you keep your flask o tea and sandwiches Gary , i would be lost without them

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Since that post back in Jan 2019 a good friend actually gave me an EVOC Enduro blackline backpack.
Probably one of the most advanced mtb backpacks available, tons of pockets and cool features including a spine protector anti sweat webbbing and it's seriously comfortable when loaded.
You know what it gets used for?
Carrying 14 cans of lager and a rake of weed one whole mile one evening per week. There's even room left for munchies.
Oh and the mile back home again empty at 4am. Fuck knows if it's comfortable empty but the spine protection isn't a bad idea ;)

I still wouldn't ever do an actual mtb ride wearing it

maynard

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Since that post back in Jan 2019 a good friend actually gave me an EVOC Enduro blackline backpack.
Probably one of the most advanced mtb backpacks available, tons of pockets and cool features including a spine protector anti sweat webbbing and it's seriously comfortable when loaded.
You know what it gets used for?
Carrying 14 cans of lager and a rake of weed one whole mile one evening per week. There's even room left for munchies.
Oh and the mile back home again empty at 4am. Fuck knows if it's comfortable empty but the spine protection isn't a bad idea ;)

I still wouldn't ever do an actual mtb ride wearing it
Well at least u don't need an esky . When u basically live in one . Europe

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
We don't use the word esky here.

But no. I don't have a whole lot of use for a cool box in winter. I always keep a large stock of lager in my fridge so it's nicely chilled and always ready to drink. And when placed in the backpack and ridden that whole mile it stays cold. There's another fridge at the destination. We're quite civilized here. ;)

I actually like our cold winters. Plenty parts of Europe have very hot summers and fairly mild winters.
A lot of our winter lager could actually just be left outside and be cold enough to be nice. But being Scotland you better drink it or some other jake will come along and drink it for you.

maynard

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
We don't use the word esky here.

But no. I don't have a whole lot of use for a cool box in winter. I always keep a large stock of lager in my fridge so it's nicely chilled and always ready to drink. And when placed in the backpack and ridden that whole mile it stays cold. There's another fridge at the destination. We're quite civilized here. ;)

I actually like our cold winters. Plenty parts of Europe have very hot summers and fairly mild winters.
A lot of our winter lager could actually just be left outside and be cold enough to be nice. But being Scotland you better drink it or some other jake will come along and drink it for you.
Uh huh . KIWI'S Call em chilli bins . And we don't use the word rake . we got about a thousand other names.

matt_thebeard

Dec 4, 2020
south wales
I find myself turning the bike off more and more now the ground is a little harder and there is less rolling resistance. I live about 6 miles from the woods where there are quite a few trails so at the moment I try to ride the entire trip there without using any battery; after a few mins you get used to going quite a bit slower imo, and then when you finally turn it back on again, even ECO feels incredible..

Still want a 2nd battery so I can just nail emtb mode 24/7 mind you.

Anyone else do the same?
100% I do as much as I can ?

049D01B1-3324-4D91-BE07-452074317BB2.png

9C393A68-3B93-469C-B1A6-FF08A6812A71.png

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
I'm still getting to terms with battery/range in different conditions. But general rule of thumb is i'm running in tour mode most of the time. Big heavy bike with assegai's front and rear really doesn't lend itself well to running with the motor off. I'm fine with using eco when riding with others but for me the main advantage of the ebike was to be able to cover more distance in the same time or get up climbs i just wouldn't have been comfortable doing on my 'acoustic' bike.

I'm no speed freak but i'm of the mindset that i would rather use the mix of tour/emtb on the likes of a ladybower reservoir loop than plod around sherwood pines in eco mode. The bike has a 52T at the back if i do find myself stranded with not enough battery range. It'll just be a slog to make it back. For me the real advantage is that i can turn the assistance down to whatever is suitable to still make sections a good work out but if i push myself a little too hard i can recover while still moving along.

People should just use it for what works for them. I remember seeing some 20+ stone guy on a levo who got odd looks from the people i was riding with, but at the end of the day, if that allows them to get out on a bike i'm all for it. Maybe in another year or so i'll run with less assistance more often but i'm enjoying the rides first, the extra fitness will be a secondary target.

sico

Dec 5, 2020
Melbourne
No way I'd actually choose to ride my jam2 with no assistance. In eco it feels like a regular unassisted bike. Finding I'm using tour mode to get to the local trails then leave it in emtb and flick it to turbo on steep inclines.

beanboy

Dec 22, 2020
france
i suppose it all depends where and what kind of terrain you ride..
i live most of the year in Slovenia where its not undulating trails.. its up, (mainly road or gravel track) and then steep single track down. the climbs are brutal 2-3hrs, very steep and most over a 1000m of climbing.. i bought the emtb so i could do 2 trails in a day.. my main problem is that i can only do 2 climbs on 1 battery if i use a mixture of eco and trail..
i rode in Finale Ligure italy for the first time this year, and its pretty much the same as slovenia for style of riding.. maybe i will have to invest in another battery to be able to use emtb and turbo more.. there's no way anyone would use an emtb with the power off doing this kind of riding, because of the amount of steep climbing (if using an analog mtb) you want the lightest bike you can get away with..

beanboy

Dec 22, 2020
france
I'm still getting to terms with battery/range in different conditions. But general rule of thumb is i'm running in tour mode most of the time. Big heavy bike with assegai's front and rear really doesn't lend itself well to running with the motor off. I'm fine with using eco when riding with others but for me the main advantage of the ebike was to be able to cover more distance in the same time or get up climbs i just wouldn't have been comfortable doing on my 'acoustic' bike.

I'm no speed freak but i'm of the mindset that i would rather use the mix of tour/emtb on the likes of a ladybower reservoir loop than plod around sherwood pines in eco mode. The bike has a 52T at the back if i do find myself stranded with not enough battery range. It'll just be a slog to make it back. For me the real advantage is that i can turn the assistance down to whatever is suitable to still make sections a good work out but if i push myself a little too hard i can recover while still moving along.

People should just use it for what works for them. I remember seeing some 20+ stone guy on a levo who got odd looks from the people i was riding with, but at the end of the day, if that allows them to get out on a bike i'm all for it. Maybe in another year or so i'll run with less assistance more often but i'm enjoying the rides first, the extra fitness will be a secondary target.
sounds like you are from the same area as me.. one of my favorite loops on the peaks the Ladybower loop.. another good loop is the jacobs ladder loop.. did you ever do the british heart foundation event up there? thats a good ride, 4.5hrs on a analog mtb..

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
I use my bike for exercise, so ride with it off as much as possible. Flats, downhills and mild uphills, I ride with it off, and the calorie burn is much higher than on my non ebike. The thing I love about having an ebike though is seeing a big hill then powering straight up it. I also find the motor a godsend if my back and knees are achingM

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles