Does Anyone Actually Like the Specialized Command Post Dropper?

coggbike

Jul 24, 2019
California
Hi All,

I have a 2020 Levo Expert on order, size medium. It comes with the “upgrade” of the Command Post dropper. I’ve ridden the 2019 versions with both the Command Post dropper and the X-Fusion Manic. Just for short bike shop parking lot test rides though. I really don’t like the Command post. And I’ve seen some bad feedback on it as well. The X-Fusion seems to work well.

Am I right that the Command Post sucks, or am I missing something and if I learned how it works it’s actually the best thing since sliced bread? Does anyone actually like the Command Post?

If the answer is the Command Post just sucks, what would you recommend as a replacement? The X-Fusion is a reasonable price and I was perfectly happy with it on my short test rides. But should I bump up to a RS Reverb, or Bike Yoke Revive, or ??? (what’s your favorite)? Are they worth the extra $ over the X-Fusion? Why?

My LBS does a rebuild of new bikes before they give them to you, so I want to decide before the bike arrives if I’m going to have them install a different dropper or the Command Post during the rebuild.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
I am riding a 2019 TL Expert and have been used to a Thomson Covert Dropper which is super smooth and well damped so in comparison the Command post is pants. Only good thing is it goes up and down but hang on to ya balls on the up stroke :)
Will definitely replace with either Thomson or Fox.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I love the Command post.
People just don’t understand how they work and as such have problems with them.
You got to run the right pressure in them, and as such it’s better to get it right with a digital shock pump. They are super simple to service without removing from the bike. I can have mine apart, cleaned and regressed in 5min. I just put a service kit in mine with new brass key way bushings. The kit was $40 AUD.
I’ve had other droppers and the worst was a Reverb.

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
I love the Command post.
You got to run the right pressure in them, and as such it’s better to get it right with a digital shock pump. They are super simple to service without removing from the bike. I can have mine apart, cleaned and regressed in 5min. I just put a service kit in mine with new brass key way bushings. The kit was $40 AUD.
Reberb did used to be poor, latest version much better. But didn’t even know you could add air to command post so proves your point

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
As an ex-DH rider and dirt jumper I run all my saddles nose up and absolutely love the idea of a dropper that simultaniously drops and tilts back the saddle.
But No. The Specialized command post is a pretty terrible dropper. both from it's function and mechanical design/maintenance perspective. There are far better droppers out there for less money.
This:
They are super simple to service without removing from the bike. I can have mine apart, cleaned and regressed in 5min. I just put a service kit in mine with new brass key way bushings. The kit was $40 AUD.
isn't a full service. it's simply an upper seal/bushing replacement.
They're actually pretty horrible to fully service when they fail.

Wurley

Oct 12, 2018
Folkestone
I love the Command post.
What pressure do you run ?

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
LIked the X Fusion until it seized up after six months. It was replaced under warranty with the Command and despite it's terrifying return speed and preset height steps, I've got used to it and the larger diameter tubes are at least a bit reassuring. If it needs replacing I would probably go back to a Thomson with a Wolftooth Remote lever as I had on a previous bike - fantastically smooth and solid combination

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
command post absolutely sucks, mine was so sticky that it required grease every other ride. The lever though is nice so the 34.9 lev integra fit easily with no change to the housing, just new cable

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
any body want to buy one, only 6 weeks old, seriously :) Its a great post honestly!
think I might have to eBay it :)

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
As an ex-DH rider and dirt jumper I run all my saddles nose up and absolutely love the idea of a dropper that simultaniously drops and tilts back the saddle.
But No. The Specialized command post is a pretty terrible dropper. both from it's function and mechanical
design/maintenance perspective. There are far better droppers out there for less money.
This:

isn't a full service. it's simply an upper seal/bushing replacement.
They're actually pretty horrible to fully service when they fail.

Yeah narh
Unless you are breaking shit like cables and collets ect then there is no need to stuff with the bottom end. Simple service is to pull apart, clean and re grease. Put a service kit which includes all regular wear parts is just a matter of doing the top end.
Regular services ovoids breaking shit in the bottom end. Simples really

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
What pressure do you run ?

12psi I find is good for me. You can go as high as 20 and as low as 10. It just changes the speed of return.
If you run too high pressure you will damage the brass guides. Best to let it slide up the inside of your leg to slow the rate of extension to avoid brass guide damage also. I have fitted an extra o ring to act as a bump stop to alleviate brass guide damage.
You can increase the pressure in the 10-20psi range if you find it starting to get sticky. But it’s best to pull apart, clean and re grease.
Add a o ring here to stop brass guide damage as in photo.

54233C3D-E966-45F3-AC11-087AC05117CC.jpeg

coggbike

Jul 24, 2019
California
Thanks everyone for your feedback. There are in fact some people who actually like the Command Post dropper.

I think I'll likely still opt for a replacement since there will be no cost to install it as they are doing a rebuild of the new bike and will just install the replacement instead of the Command Post while doing the rebuild. I just didn't like the feel of it on my test rides, an I'd hate to get an $8K+ new toy and be frustrated with such an important element of it. And the LBS owner said just keep the Command Post as it would not be a bad strategy to have a backup dropper. Good advice I thought.

Now just have to decide which one as a replacement. First world decisions......

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Thanks everyone for your feedback. There are in fact some people who actually like the Command Post dropper.

I think I'll likely still opt for a replacement since there will be no cost to install it as they are doing a rebuild of the new bike and will just install the replacement instead of the Command Post while doing the rebuild. I just didn't like the feel of it on my test rides, an I'd hate to get an $8K+ new toy and be frustrated with such an important element of it. And the LBS owner said just keep the Command Post as it would not be a bad strategy to have a backup dropper. Good advice I thought.

Now just have to decide which one as a replacement. First world decisions......
Just keep in mind that the command post has a 20mm set back offset. Only the 9 point 8 and the KS eTen have a large offset like this and maybe the Giant Connect. All others have zero offset. Keep this in mind with seat placement for bike fit.

coggbike

Jul 24, 2019
California
Just keep in mind that the command post has a 20mm set back offset. Only the 9 point 8 and the KS eTen have a large offset like this and maybe the Giant Connect. All others have zero offset. Keep this in mind with seat placement for bike fit.

@outerlimits Thanks for the heads up. I admit, I had to research seatpost offset before replying :)

Interesting that the X-Fusion comes on the lower end Levos and it doesn’t have the offset. I’m thinking zero set back offset might be a good thing for me with my height on the medium frame. At least I now know to allow for it for fit!

Wurley

Oct 12, 2018
Folkestone
12psi I find is good for me. You can go as high as 20 and as low as 10. It just changes the speed of return.
If you run too high pressure you will damage the brass guides. Best to let it slide up the inside of your leg to slow the rate of extension to avoid brass guide damage also. I have fitted an extra o ring to act as a bump stop to alleviate brass guide damage.
You can increase the pressure in the 10-20psi range if you find it starting to get sticky. But it’s best to pull apart, clean and re grease.
Add a o ring here to stop brass guide damage as in photo.

View attachment 17803
Thanks for that ?
I’ll give it a strip down regressed and reset pressure
Think it’s set to around 50 psi which was pressure shop set it at

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
I think there is something about 2 versions of the WU dropperpost. I recall that the old version is max 20 Psi and the newer version a much higher max pressure.

Karsten

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I think there is something about 2 versions of the WU dropperpost. I recall that the old version is max 20 Psi and the newer version a much higher max pressure.

Karsten
The WU post is totally different to the Command post IRCC.
The WU is commonly called WU post
And the IRCC is commonly called the Command post. Best not get them mixed up.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
I've got the WU, no complaints.

It now seems wierd using a dropper that doesn't angle back when going downhill, and it's at least as reliable as a reverb.

Reactions: CjP

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
Hi All,

I have a 2020 Levo Expert on order, size medium. It comes with the “upgrade” of the Command Post dropper. I’ve ridden the 2019 versions with both the Command Post dropper and the X-Fusion Manic. Just for short bike shop parking lot test rides though. I really don’t like the Command post. And I’ve seen some bad feedback on it as well. The X-Fusion seems to work well.

Am I right that the Command Post sucks, or am I missing something and if I learned how it works it’s actually the best thing since sliced bread? Does anyone actually like the Command Post?

If the answer is the Command Post just sucks, what would you recommend as a replacement? The X-Fusion is a reasonable price and I was perfectly happy with it on my short test rides. But should I bump up to a RS Reverb, or Bike Yoke Revive, or ??? (what’s your favorite)? Are they worth the extra $ over the X-Fusion? Why?

My LBS does a rebuild of new bikes before they give them to you, so I want to decide before the bike arrives if I’m going to have them install a different dropper or the Command Post during the rebuild.

I have the Fox Transfer kashima and love it. Very curious about this as I have a 2020 comp on order. I'm not sure about the X-Fusion, but I know the older stock Specialized posts were known for smacking your nuts pretty hard. I’m pretty sure I’ll swap the Specialized dropper out for another Fox once the come out with a 34.9.

Last edited:

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Just ordered a Reverb AXS from Evans £506 arrives tomorrow :)

I've had the Reverb AXS for almost 2 weeks and it's a big step up from most I've tried. Solid, fast & precise, I use it as much as my gear shifter. No hydraulic cable & a chunky motor mean the service interval is 600 hours. Yes I had to sell the car to pay for it but (y)

Last edited:
May 29, 2018
california
I just replaced my Levo's Spesh post, with a new reverb stealth, my lord, what a difference. Love dropping the post now, more importantly, bringing it back up without a vasectomy

Ted

Apr 23, 2019
California
I was starting to get used to the Command Post on my 2019 S-Works and then the main seal blew out. The shop repaired it but I had already bought a BikeYoke. I will keep the Command Post as a backup.

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
I've had the Reverb AXS for almost 2 weeks and it's a big step up from most I've tried. Solid, fast & precise, I use it as much as my gear shifter. No hydraulic cable & a chunky motor mean the service interval is 600 hours. Yes I had to sell the car to pay for it but (y)
Hi. mine arrived yesterday so after 15 mins to fit it took it out for a ride. Best dropper I have used by far, totally smooth and sets to any height you like, 100% stable as well. In fairness it should be for the price even at a discounted £504.

And you know the rules car should be no more than 10% of the price of your bike, or twice the cost of your bike rack :)

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
Hi All,

I have the Fox Transfer kashima and love it. Very curious about this as I have a 2020 comp on order. I'm not sure about the X-Fusion, but I know the older stock Specialized posts were known for smacking your nuts pretty hard. I’m pretty sure I’ll swap the Specialized dropper out for another Fox once the come out with a 34.9.

With a few hundred miles on the 2020 now I can tell you I love the stock dropper!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles