Does anyone actually have a Canyon Spectral:ON yet?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
mood_01_1920.jpg

Last edited:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hi mate,

That sucks that its taking so long. But what is inexcusable is that Canyon are not looking after you. If it were my business and you'd just payed down thousands of ££££ I'd be sure to be doing everything I could to keep you informed. Shit happens and delays occur, but you, the customer, should feel like you are being looked after. If Canyon don't look after you, someone else will.

Anyway cant wait to see the bike mate when you get it :cool::cool:

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
Apparently they have been let down by a supplier. (A component supplier. Not their box supplier)
Which would have been fine if the bike I bought hadn't been listed as in stock and ready for dispatch when I ordered it. What is also not fine with me are the lies I have been told, promises I have been made (and not fulfilled) the poor/non existant correspondance and the mistakes with the rest of my order.
You can always cancel your order and buy something else... I had a similar experience with a bike I ordered in my local bike shop last October. It was scheduled for delivery in November and I just got it three weeks ago. I sucked it up because it's my friend's shop and I got a good price otherwise I would have canceled it.

Pottsy

Founding Member
Feb 12, 2018
Northern Ireland
Missed promises. Misleading excuses.? No apologies. No price drop in recognition of extremely poor customer service.
I would have cancelled order and jumped ship long ago. It doesn't bode well for future backup.

I ordered my Giant in Nov to be delivered in Feb. When Feb came they apologised that they didn't have it ready. Wouldn't be here till late March.

Offered me next model up at same price (already had a good deal on price), with immediate delivery. I said yes and had new better bike two days later.

That's customer service.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
On the bright side, you can use this delay to save up for another battery.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
The Commencal is the next closest to the sort of thing I'd like but they're not available until later in May and they're also significantly more expensive with a lower spec.

Which models are you talking about? I don't see what you see... :) The two lower spec Commencals are 200€ more than the Spectral 6.0/7.0 with almost same spec and the Meta Race is pretty much identical spec with the Spectral 8.0 - both for 4.999€ - apart from no piggyback shock on any of the Spectrals.

Pottsy

Founding Member
Feb 12, 2018
Northern Ireland
Gary
You clearly have good experience, done your research and know what your after.

Stick to your guns for a while longer and hopefully you will be rewarded with a great bike.

Good luck.
Pottsy

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
You probably didn't expect a disertation. but you did ask (sort of)

:D

No problem, I really like to hear what goes on in other people's mind as I might hear something that I didn't think about before. :)
I understand your reasoning and it makes complete sense especially in case of the base models.
I have a Meta Essential and I'm glad I bought it before the Spectral came out because now it would be hard to choose between the two Meta Essential/Spectral 7.0.
I like Canyon - as I mentioned earlier I had three bikes from them (still have Strive CF) - and wouldn't think twice about getting one. When the Spectral was announced it looked like a prototype to me but after a while I started to like it. It has some neat features - they squeezed in a bottle cage - and I like the two wheel sizes. The adjustable geo is a nice option too although once you find your setting you won't be changing it.
I get your dislike of plus tires especially if you ride aggressively. I have three bikes with all variations (Strive 2.5/2.4, Meta 2.6/2.6 and an Orbea Occam TR 3.0/2.8 all Maxxis DHF/DHRII/HRII/Rekon+) and I feel the 2.6 HRIIs on the Meta are perfect for my riding. I wouldn't want an ebike with 2.3 tires the extra volume is good for the bigger weight but 2.8/3.0 would be too much. For the Occam I have 29" wheelset with 2.4/2.2 but on that bike, I prefer the plus tires for some reason... :)
The short chainstay on the Spectral is nice although the too short can compromise the climbing abilities. I never rode one but some of the testers felt it short for steep climbs. If you are not buying it for "climbing adventures" then it's irrelevant. :)
The Magura Trail brakes on the Spectral are probably better than Deore on the base Meta I would give them a chance for sure. Mine came with Guide RE but I just cannot stand SRAM brakes. They look awesome but I find their praised modulation just a marketing term for lack of power. I run Saints on the enduro bike and I got a set for the Meta too because the Guides were scary for me... Also, I had a bunch of issues with the Guide RS that originally came on the Strive so no SRAM brakes for me.

There is one thing I find strange in the Spectral I don't know why they did that. While the analog version is classified as "Category 4" the ebike is just "Category 3". Just something to consider before you extend the fork travel.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
You can see the bike category with the description when you open any specific model and scroll down to the very bottom of the page under the specifications and geometry.

3. BIKE CLASSIFICATION: Bikes in this category include those from categories 1 and 2 and are designed for harsher, unpaved terrain. The scope for these bikes includes occasional jumps up to a maximum height of 60 cm. Jumps of this scale can cause inexperienced riders to have accidents on landing, which can result in injury. Hardtail mountain bikes and full-suspension bikes with short travel are included in this category.

4. BIKE CLASSIFICATION: This category includes all bikes from categories 1-3. In addition it includes use on very harsh, obstacle-scattered terrain with steep gradients and consequently higher speeds. Regular, moderate jumps pose no problem for experienced riders when using these bikes. Extended and regular use in bike parks and when tackling “North Shore” sections should be avoided. Due to increased stresses, these bikes should be checked for damage after every ride. Full suspension bikes with mid-level travel are typical in this category.

I agree, the brakes are a personal preference too and mine is Shimano. I used Deore/SLX/XT and Saint through the years I really like their feel and they were completely reliable for me. One of the Saint sets is four years old and rock solid. On the other hand, the never got along with the Elixir 7 Trail that came on my old Strive and the Guide RS that was unusable (compare to the Saints) on long downs in the mountains. I never new what will happen when I pull the lever next time and in warmer weather, the piston stuck in lever. After rebuilding it I put it on my XC bike which I was selling at the time. The Guide RE should be an "ebike specific" brake with Guide R lever and old Code caliper but it had the same feel that I don't like and I found a good deal on Saints so it was a no-brainer. :)

I ride mostly in Bosnia and Herzegovina it's an amazing place with mountains everywhere... :)

Spectral ON Nick

Apr 8, 2018
dorset
I placed my order about three weeks ago, and when you log in with your order and customer number, they give you a week window for dispatch. My original window was May 7-14, now it has changed to April 29 to May 5, so I'm pretty hopeful this will be accurate. :)

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
If you'd come down to the FoD today you could have told them in person. :D

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Canyon shipped two of my three bikes before they were originally scheduled. They are far from a horrible unreliable company. Spectral ON is a brand new product and they might have some hiccups just like many other manufacturers and I think that's all...

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Yeah, I just saw your post in the other thread. It’s the bike I would have bought if the Trek hadn’t come up at silly money.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Looks like a good choice as the fork and the shock alone are good upgrades over the Spectral. I saw you asked about the E8000 drag but I don't notice it (and I reached 1000km today)... it's nothing compared to a Bosch.

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Good choice mate, im jealous i want one of those

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Yes, it feels like you hit the wall when pedaling and the assist turns off @25kph but it's due to the weight and the tire drag. :) The Meta chainstay is also 444mm and I personally don't find it long. The bike is super stable and agile at the same time.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
It's not. You can't have both. But I'm just being pedantic.
I spend a hell of a lot of time riding sub 400mm stays on dirtjump/4x bikes though.
My DH bikes are 438 and 443 and I wouldn't ever really want any more. But stability isn't my main concern from a bike by any means.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts on the perceived drag

I didn't mean to compare the agility to a DJ bike... compare it to a Bosch equipped Radon Slide with 498mm chainstays.

100 Cols

Mar 9, 2018
Côte d'Azur, France
On April 3rd you wrote that
I spent a long time looking at specs, geometry, motors, suspension designs of every decent E-mtb i could find ... I don't actually want a different brand of bike (or even model) ... I prefer the canyon frame ... it has the shortest stays of any E-mtb I have seen which I really like... I'm actually fine with waiting for this bike.
yet today, only one short week later you've cancelled your order and are now waiting for a lesser machine to arrive... o_O

I would have thought that you'd stand by all those strongly opinionated pro Canyon Spectral assessments in this thread previously. But no, another bandwagon fired up. Kind of surprised.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
On April 3rd you wrote that yet today, only one short week later you've cancelled your order and are now waiting for a lesser machine to arrive... o_O

I would have thought that you'd stand by all those strongly opinionated pro Canyon Spectral assessments in this thread previously. But no, another bandwagon fired up. Kind of surprised.
Hardly a lesser bike, my opinion its a better bike

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
So heres my humble opinion why the canyon has a big problem if you live somewhere wet and muddy, different size wheels, the bike is balanced by putting a big 2.8 tyre on the back 27.5 and a thinner tyre on the front 29 er. I reckon and i speak from experience the 2,8 tyre will be pretty horid in the mud. Put a thinner (smaller) tyre on the back to cope with the mud and you lower the bottom bracket, slacken the head angle possibly too much of each
Just my opinion

niccolo

Apr 10, 2018
Italy
Hi all, I'm new here.
I ordered one Spectral on 8.0 size XL the 9th of March. At that time the planned delivery week was 17-23 Apr but when they received my bank transfer they anticipated the delivery date by one week (10-16 Apr).
Do you think I can rely on their plan? I'm leaving for bike trip to Madeira the 1st of May and I'll be very disappointed if I won't be able to go with my new ebike.

Thank you.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Fair enough but thats not how it comes out the box

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hi all, I'm new here.
I ordered one Spectral on 8.0 size XL the 9th of March. At that time the planned delivery week was 17-23 Apr but when they received my bank transfer they anticipated the delivery date by one week (10-16 Apr).
Do you think I can rely on their plan? I'm leaving for bike trip to Madeira the 1st of May and I'll be very disappointed if I won't be able to go with my new ebike.

Thank you.
I think you will find out soon enough. They have the production scheduled and since it’s close if you ask them they should be able to tell you if they can keep it or there will be a delay.
Are you flying to Madeira? If you do then the battery will be a problem.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles