Do you polish your bike?

ragnor

Apr 23, 2020
U.K.
Some say that it stops the mud sticking and others just like a nice bike.:giggle::giggle: So if you do polish your bike what do you use.
How to polish carbon or even matt carbon:unsure::unsure:

ceejays88

May 28, 2020
Wirral
I have always been into keeping my cars nicely washed and waxed so I have been treating mine like my car paint.

I use a wash and gloss in warm water with a sponge and then polish it off with a microfibre cloth
Once it is completely dry I put on a layer of wax and allow it to set and then buff it off with another microfibre, The extra time I have spent on these last 2/3 washes means that now the mud hardly sticks and even when it does a quick hose down gets rid of it so quickly.

Next it to wax the rims and see if they stay mud and dust free better.

I didnt buy these just for the bike btw, I have these for my car anyway.

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
I have always been into keeping my cars nicely washed and waxed so I have been treating mine like my car paint.

I use a wash and gloss in warm water with a sponge and then polish it off with a microfibre cloth
Once it is completely dry I put on a layer of wax and allow it to set and then buff it off with another microfibre, The extra time I have spent on these last 2/3 washes means that now the mud hardly sticks and even when it does a quick hose down gets rid of it so quickly.

Next it to wax the rims and see if they stay mud and dust free better.

I didnt buy these just for the bike btw, I have these for my car anyway.

Use the same Wax as that's what I use on the car. Easy to apply and stops the mud and dirt sticking and also protects the paintwork to some degree from minor scratches. Only downside in the hot weather is it does seem to attract the dust but maybe it would do that even if I didn't wax it ;-)

ceejays88

May 28, 2020
Wirral
Use the same Wax as that's what I use on the car. Easy to apply and stops the mud and dirt sticking and also protects the paintwork to some degree from minor scratches. Only downside in the hot weather is it does seem to attract the dust but maybe it would do that even if I didn't wax it ;-)
yeah the only wax that wouldnt do that would be a very high quality Carnauba wax as it has a higher melting point

May 30, 2020
St newlyn east
I always wash mine after as it really helps to run smooth the next time you get on for a ride there not cheap and prevention and generally just looking after it will save you in the long run:)i use bike cleaner from poundland great stuff but like rocking horse shit then apply GT85 Sylicone spray after

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
I do but only to check for damage or things that may need maintenance. I clean the mud off when it gets too much, normally once a week. And then every second wash I’ll do a deep clean and degrease everything then re lube and polish etc.

I lube the chain after every ride though.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I use some diluted wash n wax, wring out the cloth and wipe over the bike. No running water, no rinsing off. I might do this 3 or 4 times a year? I always blast the bike with compressed air pre ride, and knock off dried mud etc. and clean the hydraulics.

MrBrownstone

May 2, 2020
Maine
I’m too busy riding my bike. Never wash my bike. If it gets super muddy I wait for mud to dry then brush it off quickly with a broom. There is ZERO benefit for your bike when taking a hose to it.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I followed Rob's lead and I now use MucOff's silcone shine on everything except tyre treads, brakes, grips and saddles. Once the bike is clean, wipe it on and then polish it off. The bike gleams, the rims and tyres shine and the mud slides right off. It takes a little time to apply, but it is more than saved next time you wash the bike.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Just the one time when brand spanking new as soon as it gets home. I use a polymer coating not a wax. I’ve done this traditionally with all my bikes. Then hardly ever again. Just a soft hose down if needed but otherwise I just leave it as is - or a dry dusting if I can be bothered.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I polish my drive side bearing seal with Bosch tacky grease.
If that seal fails, nothing else matters ?

Last edited:

speedkills

May 17, 2020
Boulder, CO
I'm the opposite, treat my trucks like my bikes, cover them with a wrap to protect the paint job, then take them out in the woods as often as possible, climb everything I can, pretty much just making sure nothing is broken and keeping the lubricants and tires freshened up.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
A quick hose with water to get the worst off. A good spray of Muc Off all over, and leave it to work for a few mins.
Rinse off with water. Bounce the bike a few times to get most of the water off, and then dry with a towel.
Lube, and put away.

Generally my bike looks like new after this.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
I use Autoglym , same stuff I use on my car and motorhome. (y)
Try Beadmaker on your car and motorhome, you'll never use anything else again and the application process is the quickest and most simple ever.

maxresdefault.jpg

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
Wash, dry with microfibre, blow dry with compressor, silicone spray every thing other than brakes n tyres. Degrease chain, dry an lube ready for next ride.
Oh an I use silicone dash spry lol cheap as chips an works a treat

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
no, life's much too short.

a spray to get loose mud off, oil chain as needed, done.
Same as above but use a compressor to blow the excess water off especially the chain but then, every half a dozen washes or so, I use a silicone spray onto a rag and then wipe down everything (seat and grips an exception) including the rims and tyres. Brings it all back up to looking like new, plus I have found some matching nail polish for the stone chips. It's and expensive toy and like to keep it looking like new, just a joy to behold after a bit of TLC.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles