• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Do Shimano ME7 Spd shoes work with crankbrothers Mallet DH Pedals?

Feb 5, 2019
Wales
So I followed the instructions for both, but could not get them to clip in and out. I have tried adding a shim to get them to work with each other. I don’t think it helps with the fact the cleat holders are held together to the shoe via a sticker. I have put the cleat in the most forward position for efficiency, but it’s still super difficult to clip in and out. In fact, I have to take the shoes off and push with a lot of effort to clip in, and the shoes have to come off to get off the bike, and pull them off with a lot of effort as well.

I’ve watched many YouTube videos but they haven’t helped.

Comments like, “wear flats” I do not need, because I am too invested monetarily, and would like a more fitting solution.

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Me7 are designed to work with shimano pedals hence the channel to guide the cleat into the clip-in. My guess is the crank bros clip-in is a bit wide for the channel hence your difficulty. When i used crank bros pedals (not for very long) i found shoes with a flatish sole worked best

Feb 5, 2019
Wales
Me7 are designed to work with shimano pedals hence the channel to guide the cleat into the clip-in. My guess is the crank bros clip-in is a bit wide for the channel hence your difficulty. When i used crank bros pedals (not for very long) i found shoes with a flatish sole worked best

Yeah I thought as much (change the shoe or change the pedal). When I bought both I was blinded by top reviews.

Seeming as the shoes cost me more (they both RRP at roughly the same price though), I am leaning to getting Shimano pedals. Any recommendations on this?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
All the Shimano pedals are good - the only reason to pay for a top end one is weight saving - I believe the likes of HT are also Shimano compatible, along with several other brands

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I experienced similar problems with my Cube SPD shoes used with Shimano pedals. It was as an earlier post explained the fact that the cleats fitted too deeply into the sole of the shoe. Putting some shims between the cleat and its "home" in the sole of the shoe would have worked but I opted to reduce the depth of the tread pattern on the shoe. After all of that faff, I decided I did not like being clipped in or wearing dutch clogs for shoes so stuck to flats :eek:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles