Do Giant owners get aggro from their bikes?

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
Got about 1500 miles on my Trance E+3Pro since June.

controller needed to be change to the V2 for moisture ingress issues. Well documented.

Freehub failed and was stripped by LBS in front of me, grease was like wax. Hardware was fine. Re-grease, been fine. I’d suggest all Giant owners go in and re-grease to be sure.

Other than that, no issues bar my battery area seems to clunk over bumps and no matter what I do I can’t seem to get it to stay quiet for more than an hour on the trail. Still battling that, but it’s not really a big issue. Just an annoyance.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
My mate's Giant Trance has given him a tower of pain, of particular concern to me as I recommended it to him.
It is twelve months old and so far it has had a new motor, a new front hub, new front brake lever as the brakes kept seizing on and the dropper post is now playing up. He is on his third control unit. The first developed a mind of its own and would engage walk assist when just leaning against the wall. The second one, supplied by a distant dealer for my mate to fit himself, would not engage walk assist just made a pretty light display and the third, which he bought himself works fine until it decides to flash up a red light and then becomes inoperative. This bike really is a pile of squit.
Can any Giant riders tell me what this red light on the control unit is warning of or its possible cause?

Last edited:

paul-g

Dec 27, 2019
yorkshire
hi
looked at these this year to either buy a 2019 or the 2020 model.
asked lots of questions and pretty much got the same answers as
"peaky rider" lots of problems. ive got a full e +1 with an 0 sx pro drive train (fitted myself) 50t on the back
and since new in 2018 no problems what so ever, im 60 and this bike still
gets me into the hills at derwent, granted maybe not as fast down them
(not as daft as i used to be)but every bit as quick up.
so maybe a morel to the story, save a **** load of cash forget about the
street cred run the old model and have fun
oh one more thing in the mathematical equations of the universe does
DEPRECIATION =FUN

WP_20190530_08_47_43_Pro.jpg

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
Don't get too smug, my mate bought his E Trance 2 last November when I bought my Focus.
First ride out, his freewheel failed (the grease in it was more like candle wax).
A few rides later, his handlebar controller went mad and his bike kept setting off on its own. He had to take the battery out and ride back without power. On two rides his brakes seized on.
After six months his wheel bearings were shot, LBS replaced the rear ones but could not source any for the front so he had to have a new hub.
Oh! and he's just had to have a new motor.
He does like it though.
i wasn’t being smug! My free hub has gone too and my chain was replaced under warranty

poppy

Jun 26, 2018
Gold Coast Queensland
My mate's Giant Trance has given him a tower of pain, of particular concern to me as I recommended it to him.
It is twelve months old and so far it has had a new motor, a new front hub, new front brake lever as the brakes kept seizing on and the dropper post is now playing up. He is on his third control unit. The first developed a mind of its own and would engage walk assist when just leaning against the wall. The second one, supplied by a distant dealer for my mate to fit himself, would not engage walk assist just made a pretty light display and the third, which he bought himself works fine until it decides to flash up a red light and then becomes inoperative. This bike really is a pile of squit.
Can any Giant riders tell me what this red light on the control unit is warning of or its possible cause?

Which red light is showing Peaky Rider?
Screenshot_20191231-130328.png

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Which red light is showing Peaky Rider?
View attachment 23826
It's number 3, which we now know is the speed sensor, as confirmed by your post.
The strange thing is this warning light didn't show until a new controller was fitted, the third. Bit of a coincidence that.
It's now at the LBS for them to investigate and he's so fed up with it that once it gets fixed, he hopes to get shut.
Reckons he's going back to his old pedaller.

Series6

Feb 27, 2019
Brisbane
Trance E + 1 Pro
Close to 2,000 km
Batt Capacity 98%

Used everyday. And I mean everyday.

I commute 40km round trip and on Wed Night we do a local trail night ride (I ride a a normal dualy and my wife ride this) and Sat/Sun we hit the local mountain parks - its fantastic way to shuttle up for more passes. Other times we hit long bush tracks and I use a normal and my wife blasts the trails on this on full power. Shes loves being able to keep up - with commuting y fitness levels have surpassed hers so an ebike is a great equaliser.

Use: downhill - terrain is hard and full of rock gardens. Dry Season dusty environment 70% with 30% being the Wet Season (really wet) tropical season when its wet, clay and rocky.

The geometry makes it steady and combined weight of me and bike is not an issue.

No issues.
Nothing replaced.
Stock as.
Regularly serviced and always kept clean.

About to buy a Ribble Endurance SLe or Bianci Aria Ebike (maybe the Orbea) to replace this as my commute mule.

I would LOVE a belt drive or shaft drive as my next ebike.

Last edited:

poppy

Jun 26, 2018
Gold Coast Queensland
It's number 3, which we now know is the speed sensor, as confirmed by your post.
The strange thing is this warning light didn't show until a new controller was fitted, the third. Bit of a coincidence that.
It's now at the LBS for them to investigate and he's so fed up with it that once it gets fixed, he hopes to get shut.
Reckons he's going back to his old pedaller.

I can understand his frustration. All the issues i had with mine, was getring pretty annoying and there was no trust between myself and the bike. My LBS and i had finally had enough and they ordered me a new bike and my original went back to Giant. New one has only had the control switch replaced under warranty and has been issue free apart from that. It was only replaced a month ago and i have had the 0 now for 12 months. Hope it gets sorted for him, they are plenty of fun. I have a mate with an Epro 1 and it has not had one single issue in the time he has owned it, been faultless and he has had it since it was released here in Australia.

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
I see this is an old thread but my 2020 Giant Trance E+ has been flawless apart from a badly fitted dropper when first bought.

I’ve covered 2300km and replaced chain cassette and front ring. Rear derailleur will be replaced next week.

It had a tough summer and even tougher winter but is still as it was on day one.

It’s has been like this all winter.

IMG_0142.jpg

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
Had my Trance E+2 2020 for a year now, 1,200 km trail and gravel. Small issue with rear derailleur, Shimano agreed to replace. The bike runs great. Like others, I'd like a smaller chainstay for more agility, weight is not a factor. A few crashes during that year, bike feels indestructible, unlike me ?
I wanted to get the new 2021 with 29er wheels but availability so limited that I decided to

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
Had my Trance E+2 2020 for a year now, 1,200 km trail and gravel. Small issue with rear derailleur, Shimano agreed to replace. The bike runs great. Like others, I'd like a smaller chainstay for more agility, weight is not a factor. A few crashes during that year, bike feels indestructible, unlike me
I wanted to get the new 2021 with 29er wheels but availability so limited that I decided to

I’ve bought the 2021 version......but so have to wait until May. Then the E+1 Pro goes up for sale.

Tbrors

Feb 23, 2021
Germany
Bought my e-reign 2 last year April. Put around 1000km it and I had a number of issues.
Rear hub failed so they tried to repair it and when I mentioned they did a bad repair replaced the entire wheel.
Dropper having issues twice? At least it didn't work properly and the second time they ask me to just buy one myself for 250€. I kept the giant one figured out what's wrong and they never ask to have it back.
I mentioned on the rear they they forgot a spacer between the links? So the Alloy got some use and the paintjob is gone. Gonna get the whole rear replaced.
Next thing I mentiond when I screw in the battery the fit seems off and in one place the cover scratches the frame. Let's see they gonna check it.

Beside that I only paid 3800€ for the bike and I don't think I could have gotten anything better for what I paid

Bellefield

Aug 5, 2020
Isle of Man
I always think this is tempting fate, but had mostly trouble free riding so far with my 2019 fathom pro E+ 2 29er.

The one problem I had, which is the battery fell out mid ride, was fixed by the LBS. No problems since, put about 2,000 miles on it so far

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
The Yamaha is almost unchanged since 2016, they make them right.
That is the reason i bought a Giant 2020.
My Stance left the shop 8 months ago, it rides daily(i do not have a car)
zero, niet, no issue. I pedal, recharge, lube and smile.
Guess what brand will my next Ebike be.
Some other brands invested in marketng and now their list of excuses is unlimited.
Great price and great reliability, my kind of bike ;)

John208

Oct 1, 2019
Hampshire
Problems from my 2019 fathom so far which i have had for nearly 2 years, Ride control water ingress which eventually stopped working so replaced by me, rear hub spring failed replaced by me for only a couple of pound and it eats chains apart from that no motor problems yet

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles