Do eMTBs do enough vert (for me)?

n8__

Jun 23, 2019
USA
Contemplating an eMTB as a supplement for my pedal bike to ride motorized trail systems in the PNW. Lots of these rides are 4-6k feet of gravel road climbs followed by amazing descents. BC (before children) I was able to put enough saddle time in where I could handle these 4-6k days well enough. Now... not so much. I'm having a hard time determining vertical climbing range - which I know can vary significantly.

I've only demo'd a Devinci with the Shimano motor and it seemed like ECO was more than enough support if it means that I can grind my way up these big climbs with a little bit of help. I like the price of the commencal line, but I just can't tell if I'd get the necessary range.

I currently ride a 27.5 norco optic setup 140f/120r - it's a little under biked for some of the stuff I ride, but I don't need some massive enduro beast bike. Maybe hold out for the Trek bikes with the new Bosch motor? Really hoping to not sink more than ~$5k give or take a bit.

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Contemplating an eMTB as a supplement for my pedal bike to ride motorized trail systems in the PNW. Lots of these rides are 4-6k feet of gravel road climbs followed by amazing descents. BC (before children) I was able to put enough saddle time in where I could handle these 4-6k days well enough. Now... not so much. I'm having a hard time determining vertical climbing range - which I know can vary significantly.

I've only demo'd a Devinci with the Shimano motor and it seemed like ECO was more than enough support if it means that I can grind my way up these big climbs with a little bit of help. I like the price of the commencal line, but I just can't tell if I'd get the necessary range.

I currently ride a 27.5 norco optic setup 140f/120r - it's a little under biked for some of the stuff I ride, but I don't need some massive enduro beast bike. Maybe hold out for the Trek bikes with the new Bosch motor? Really hoping to not sink more than ~$5k give or take a bit.

For your perspective, my 14 yo daughter rides a norco optic, when we put her on a focus jam (shimano motor, 375 w battery) she got an easy 1200 m (4 k feet) elevation gain on a 50 km day using 2/3 of the battery in eco. So if you're a cross country rider and willing to ride an ebike in eco mode, then 4-6 k feet is well within the reach of an average 500 w battery . Having said that....after a couple of days on an ebike her style changes - she starts spinning the cranks slower, changing gears less, and chewing through power - so you'd have to consciously " ride" the bike to get that sort of range.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
4500ft of steady climbing is what I'd usually expect to get from a fully charged 504wh battery (E8000 motor) if riding dry(ish) good condition fireroad/singletrack climbs to access teh amazing descents. ;)
Depending on combined rider/bike/kit weight and gradients you'll get more/less but somewhere around that figure.
tyre choice (rolling resistance) comes into play with range too BTW

I'm 14.5st, run fast rolling tyres on a light (48lb) 170mm emtb and don't ever carry loads of shit around with me. (just a tube/Co2/tool/phone/Debit card/cash)

Hope that helps.

if you want 6k ft I'd look for a 700wh bike

n8__

Jun 23, 2019
USA
@Gary What motor / modes? I could handle riding in ECO the entire time. Maybe riding a bosch motor will be the way to go because you can tune the low assist mode more easily?

Brianjonesphoto

Patreon
Oct 8, 2018
Seattle USA
N8
Where in the pnw are you located? Now that shimano has updated software to allow you to tune all assist levels it’s shouldn’t be much of an issue.

That said it all depends on rider mass and assist level. Riding in the “old default” eco and mixed medium trail was able to do a 25mile 3000’ ride and that was about all the juice both the bike and I had. I tip the scales at 240 most days. A lighter and/or fitter rider will get better range.

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
Add a tyre pressure gauge to your kit and you will do it, set off with 45psi in the tyres and adjust at the top. When I got one and started keeping an eye on it the increase in distance by just adding a few psi is remarkable so if your first accent is long then it will help. If you read the thread about power and assistance levels(mission control) you will understand the importance of a fully tuneable motor to get the distance you are talking about.

n8__

Jun 23, 2019
USA
N8
Where in the pnw are you located? Now that shimano has updated software to allow you to tune all assist levels it’s shouldn’t be much of an issue.

That said it all depends on rider mass and assist level. Riding in the “old default” eco and mixed medium trail was able to do a 25mile 3000’ ride and that was about all the juice both the bike and I had. I tip the scales at 240 most days. A lighter and/or fitter rider will get better range.

I'm in Wenatchee. I'm primarily interested in using it in the Entiat trail system. I'd like to have the range to ride from the bottom to the top of shady pass which according to my Strava rides is approximately 5500 vert. Also doing from the bottom of devil's gulch to the top of the mission ridge trail which I think is 4500-5000.

The issue is once you get to the top you can still have quite a bit of vertical depending on your routes.

Angels staircase would be nice too, but the mandatory hike a bike on that ride might be impossible with an ebike. You have to basically back carry the bike approximately 400 vert to get to the top. That ride clocks in around 5500.

I'm 200lb on a good day. Those big days on a standard bike are fine if I'm riding 3-4 days a week. I just go really slowly and take my time.

A buddy has offered me a Norco sight ebike to try out which has a bigger battery. Not sure I want to drop the coin on that bike.

My ideal ebike would be something in the 40lb range with very low assist that just lets me keep out of granny ring. It wouldn't bother me if I'm poking along at 5-7mph.

The new Bosch motor looks nice and I'd guess the 700watt batteries will be much more prevalent in the next few years.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
@Gary What motor / modes? I could handle riding in ECO the entire time. Maybe riding a bosch motor will be the way to go because you can tune the low assist mode more easily?

Shimano E8000
mainly Eco (with maybe the odd short stint of trail for a couple of steeper bits)

Riding all the climbs slowly in eco (and low cadence ~ 50rpm) eeks out the battery range massively (so you may well be able to eek out 6k ft) but for me on solo rides it's just not really worth the boredom or weight penalty to ride the same sort of speed I would on a regular non E bike.
I still ride normal bikes a lot and prefer the far lighter bike weights handling
Eg. Spent 3 hours at the BMX track today doing gate start sprints and playing with manualling/jumping rythm sections on a 25lb 4X hardtail. I'd have been bored within half an hour had I been on my Ebike.

hokkane4

Jan 3, 2019
Finland
I have done climbing in the Alps from 2000m - 2500m (depending on support level) and I weight around 80kg with gears. Shuttling up the roads and no need to use battery power on DH trails. This is with Shimano E8000 with one 504Wh battery.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles