• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Do eBikes depreciate faster than clockwork bikes?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I've sold a few of my much loved clockwork bikes recently, so it has brought depreciation to my mind front and centre!

So, do eBikes depreciate any faster (or slower) than regular clockwork bikes?

Obviously I'm not talking about bike shaped objects from Argos here!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I guess it depends on the bike - I can see some of the lower spec Specilizeds taking a hit in the second hand market, as the spec isn't going to compete with other brands new offerings at much lower prices.

My gut instinct would be a top end e-bike is going to take a bigger hit than a cheaper/lower spec one. I can see several thousand minimum coming off a Pivot or S-Works, and then factor in how fast the tech is moving. If you had a 2018 S-Works Levo I can't see it being worth much more than half its RRP simply because of the New Levo.

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
Shop once told me s/hand value as far as trade in for a new bike is concerned is 50% pretty much as soon as it goes out the door. You can better price selling privately. I generally replace every 3 years and get about 30-40% of original price at that point. Year old Levos seem to be going at about 60% original price so I don't think there's much difference between electric and acoustic.

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I think Specializeds new transferable warranty policy will help in resale value if the bike is sold within the first two years.

Jun 10, 2018
United Kingdom
I guess it depends on the bike - I can see some of the lower spec Specilizeds taking a hit in the second hand market, as the spec isn't going to compete with other brands new offerings at much lower prices.

My gut instinct would be a top end e-bike is going to take a bigger hit than a cheaper/lower spec one. I can see several thousand minimum coming off a Pivot or S-Works, and then factor in how fast the tech is moving. If you had a 2018 S-Works Levo I can't see it being worth much more than half its RRP simply because of the New Levo.

The same with the 2018 Spesh Carbon Expert bike: got it basically half price.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles