DIY Turbo Levo charger

CCCC

May 26, 2019
Ita
I need a turbo levo DIY charger. I tried with standard 42v lithium charger and a LM2596 to supply 5v to brown cable inside the battery, but nothing happens.
I tried, first the 5v, then the 41 / 42v and viceversa. I tried with a lab power supply at 41v too.

Any suggestions?

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
Matt is right just buy a proper charger that will work properly, and if you have bought a Levo it would come with a charger that was supplied with the bike!

CCCC

May 26, 2019
Ita
Thank you for reply but I need a second charger and I don't want loose 150 bucks.. It's a good reason to try diy.

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
Thank you for reply but I need a second charger and I don't want loose 150 bucks.. It's a good reason to try diy.

Good luck with that then!

By the time you have bought all the bits you need and all the faffing about needed to get it to work and let's face it the charger will look like a bodge job, just spend the money on a proper charger that was designed to charge this complex bike!

Also from your first post it seems clear that you are having problems with it!

CCCC

May 26, 2019
Ita
Good luck with that then!

By the time you have bought all the bits you need and all the faffing about needed to get it to work and let's face it the charger will look like a bodge job, just spend the money on a proper charger that was designed to charge this complex bike!

Also from your first post it seems clear that you are having problems with it!
Yes, I read around to apply 41.5v to main pins and 5v to data pin. I tried but charging not start.
I suspect a water damage too, but if I recharge directly to cells, mission control says "all good!"
None is interested in battery reverse engineering here? Wrong forum?

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
I’m interested to hear @CCCC
I spent a while trying to get one of my fancy RC chargers hooked up so I didn’t need an inverter to charge from a leisure battery.
Couldn’t get my head round the CAN bus on the RoPD connector.
You recon it’s just a case of 5v across the data pins?

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
My understanding is cycles fitted with the RoPD connector (Specialized, Focus, etc) are signed up to the Energy Bus Association.

A standard was created to encourage public charging stations using a common connector. The connectors data ports pass on info to the charging station such as battery voltage, capacity, charge currents and other parameters necessary for safe charging of different voltage & capacity packs.

Rosenberger Charge Connectors Make Ebike Charging Cooler than Ever

I gave up on trying as it seemed without tapping into the data stream the BMS wouldn’t open up the main power ports to allow charging. As you have found charging the cells directly bypassing the BMS is probably the only way without establishing communications with the BMS.

CCCC

May 26, 2019
Ita
I think Levo plug doesn't have a real charging protocol neither energybus.
Plug a Logic analyzer or a voltmeter to your original charger and you'll see just 4.8v fixed to the brown cable.
I need some volonteers.

freerider85

Dec 20, 2018
canada
I'm also interested if it's possible use aftermarket charger for rc stuff . I'm often offgrid in Canada now just charging in car when driving but still need inverter and also using deep cycle battery like spare power bank. Inverter consume too much power from battery if I can charge directly without inverter can save lot power. If anyone know's how trick T pin it would be nice.

Sepp62

Nov 21, 2018
Germany
I described charging the 2019 levo in this article:

Specialized - Analyse Ladevorgang und Akku-CAN-Nachrichten am Levo 2019

Unfortunately it is german, so you have to do a translation i.e. with deepl.com

You do not have to deal with CAN to charge your bike, but you need some kind of "control voltage", if your charger does not start w/o sensing the battery voltage.

If you want to do "backcountry charging", I recommend a RC charger (10s lipo) . But you will not get below 150 bucks with such a device and you still have to do some modification for the "control voltage".

Troutwrestler

Dec 25, 2018
Scotland
I have ordered one of the BMW 12V 2A chargers. It should arrive in the next couple of weeks - it has to come from Germany - and I'll let you know how I get on. I intend to charge from 2 x 110Ah 12V leisure batteries.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
I have ordered one of the BMW 12V 2A chargers. It should arrive in the next couple of weeks - it has to come from Germany - and I'll let you know how I get on. I intend to charge from 2 x 110Ah 12V leisure batteries.

Do you have the BMW part no for that?

Troutwrestler

Dec 25, 2018
Scotland
Yes, but it is written in my diary at work. I am not 100% certain it is the correct one, but it appears to be the 12v input "Specialized for BMW" charger. Once i am certain it is the right one, I'll post the details. £72.

Reactions: Dax

DTZ

May 5, 2019
UK
I'd be really interested in this as it would help us charge our batteries in our motorhome if we don't have 240v hookup. We do have a pair of onboard leisure batteries with a solar panel feeding them so 12v charging would be great.

Does anyone know if the Specialized BMW models came with the 12v charger as standard? MY mate has the BMW version and he might actually have the 12v charger and put it to one side and forgotten about it.

Troutwrestler

Dec 25, 2018
Scotland
From my local BMW dealer. I tracked down the Manufacturer in China and was in contact with them. They are not prepared to sell individual units. I got in touch with the local BMW and the parts guy there was helpful and put a bit of time into checking it out. It has to be ordered from Germany. When it arrives next week, if it is the correct thing I'll post up the part number. If it isn't, I've taken a £72 hit for the team.

Decca

Sep 30, 2018
Guisborough
From my local BMW dealer. I tracked down the Manufacturer in China and was in contact with them. They are not prepared to sell individual units. I got in touch with the local BMW and the parts guy there was helpful and put a bit of time into checking it out. It has to be ordered from Germany. When it arrives next week, if it is the correct thing I'll post up the part number. If it isn't, I've taken a £72 hit for the team.

Did it arrive yet? Any luck?

Decca

Sep 30, 2018
Guisborough
Just rang my BMW dealer. None available world wide, apparently. You are a lucky guy. I'm guessing this must be a DC-DC adapter, so no inverter involved. Specialized should sell these!!!

Apr 12, 2020
Arizona, USA
Yes, I read around to apply 41.5v to main pins and 5v to data pin. I tried but charging not start.
I suspect a water damage too, but if I recharge directly to cells, mission control says "all good!"
None is interested in battery reverse engineering here? Wrong forum?

Some of us here are interested in the tech side of things, so I'm glad you posted up this experiment. I love tinkering as well!!!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles