Display cable too tight/display re-booting ....

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
A strange problem I had a few weeks ago ..

Almost home from a fun ride out and the bike suddenly stopped and re-booted. Then ok for a few minutes then did it again .. this continued and got worse until it basically cycled round and round re-booting.

Slightly frustrating as this was at the bottom of the hill I needed to climb to get home. ... :)

But basically, when I collected the bike, the switch wire and the display wire were both just flapping about and not clipped to anything. Concerned they'd catch a branch and tear off, I clipped the switch cable to the bars using a sticky clip and ran the display cable along the bars to the right, sticky clipped and looped back and electrical taped the wire to the rear brake hose (French bike so on the right side). I looped the tape all the way round back to the feeds into the frame on the left side.

All was good for a few weeks until the problem. Eventually, this must have put strain on the wire, which caused the re-booting. I removed all the tape and everything worked again. Concerned I'd need to replace the wire as it would be broken I temporarily taped it back to the brake hose every 10cm's to stop it flapping about and create further damage.

Since then it's been fine ! Same cable, lots of falls .. no problems .. :)

So either it's self healing futuristic nano cable or just doesn't like being under too much tension.

One to keep in mind if you have a similar problem.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles