Discharging Shimano e8000 battery without riding

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
Is there a way to discharge the battery without riding the bike? I know the easy answer is go ride! But I'm just curious...

Say you were near full power and got mangled up in a crash and can't ride for awhile, and you want to store your battery at a more healthy level

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Someone in the Specilized Levo Owners thread discharged theirs by putting it on a work stand, engaging walk mode then holding it down its tape or a rubber band/similar to discharge the battery - assuming you could do this with the Shimano, though I think better option would be to get one of us on here to run it down for you on a ride.

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
Is the ideal storage 40% soc and 15°c?

BU-702: How to Store Batteries – Battery University

I've used the bike stand walk mode to fine tune the rear mech, it would likely take hours to drain the battery to an acceptable level, but it would work.

I'd like to see an adapter to connect to a proper RC battery charger with balancing, discharge, storage cycles.

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
I guess a cable tie and some string is all you need ?

IMAG0718.jpg

IMAG0717.jpg

IMAG0720.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Brilliant - love that Commencal, don't think I have seen one in that colour, looks like some tasty upgrades too?

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
Brilliant - love that Commencal, don't think I have seen one in that colour, looks like some tasty upgrades too?

Just a few things... Deity cz38 handlebar, Origin8 Flux stem with KustomCaps headset top cap, Wolftooth dropper lever, and an e6000 controller remote ?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I'd like to see an adapter to connect to a proper RC battery charger with balancing, discharge, storage cycles.
I think you'll find the BMS does that already.

Brianjonesphoto

Patreon
Oct 8, 2018
Seattle USA
My son has an Oset trials bike that I have converted to Lipo batteries. I took 3 H1 automotive bulbs and wired them in series to be a “dummy” load for that 36v 360wh pack. Works great about 5–10 minutes per .1 volt of charge. Cost me nothing as I had the bulbs kicking around the garage loose. A couple 1/4” spade connectors should work to hook the the Shimano battery. I can post photos once I’m home.

Btw nice to see another mango meta. Did you find changing the remotes worth the $$$?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles