Product Image:
dirtlej-dirtsuit-pro-edition-cutout.png

20181214_132850.jpg

20181214_132843.jpg

20181214_132832.jpg

Product name: Dirtlej Dirtsuit Pro
Price paid: £225
Score (out of 10): 10

Review: A month ago 6 of us entered The Real Ale Wobble in Llanwrtyd Wells. Its a very relaxed event consisting of a 34km route with stunning views , a mix of terrain , monster climbs and pit stops serving beer ? All good so far .
There is one catch though , The Weather , it's in mid November in the Welsh mountains. I did this event 2 years ago and it was brutal !! Wind and rain mudfest.
So like a mug i signed up again
Forcast was good , 10 degrees , sunny and clear. It had been foul in the week preceding so we were expecting a slopfest.
Undeterred, i packed my best waterproofs determined not to be beaten.
I was feeling quite smug as i donned my kit .
Until i clocked 2 of my mates slipping into what can only be described as a waterproof onesie. My first reaction was WT dickens !!( im far too polite to use the other word ). After a bit of customary banter and abuse i now started to get kit envy.
This is a quality bit of kit . Well thought out by designers who are bikers.
This model is 15000 waterproof and 10000 breathable. Pretty tough but flexible, non restrictive fabric . Nice touches like well placed waterproof zipped pockets that arnt too deep. Stowable hood that's large enough to fit over a helmet . Armpit and thigh zipped vents . Elongated angled cuffs to sit over gloves. Velcro cinch points at the hips and cuffs. The shorts are long enough to cover the knee when pedaling.
The idea is to get as filthy wet as possible . Peel of the suit and drive to the pub .It's certainly fit for purpose as thats exactly what my 2 mates did at the end of the very muddy ride.
I was so envious that i bought one . Took it on its maiden voyage yesterday and sought out as much mud and dirty water as i could find . I couldn't stop grinning. Absolutely luv it !!!
Hosed it down and hung it up to drip dry in my garage ( It is machine washable )
Any negatives ?? Not for me ,but an observation
Im not a fan of full length trousers so this suit is perfect for me . I prefer shorts , knee pads , 3/4 or full length tights and sealskin socks when its grim outside
Inevitably below the knee is going to get minging . I can live with that. If you can't then Dirtlej do other options with full legs that can zip of at the knee. One version has removable arms as well.
Check out their website for details

I paid £225 for it which isn't cheap but compared to other options is actually good value
Im determined to ride all winter , give one of these some thought if you are too.

Pics below with my best catalogue model poses for your delectation ?

StuR

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
Weather was foul here in FoD today
Cold and wet. Perfect for a proper test .
So i manned up and went out for 2 hrs
Verdict ? Toasty warm and dry- Luv it !!

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I agree great bit of kit, but only if it fits properly.
I am normally a large, so ordered one from Germany, when it arrived it was massively too long for me.
I'm 5 9, but this would have fit someone over 6 2.
Sent it back and got Endura mt500 top and bottoms, they fit me!

StuR

Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
I agree great bit of kit, but only if it fits properly.
I am normally a large, so ordered one from Germany, when it arrived it was massively too long for me.
I'm 5 9, but this would have fit someone over 6 2.
Sent it back and got Endura mt500 top and bottoms, they fit me!
What Dirtlej version did you get ?
Im 5ft 9 too and went XL because of my manly chest? fit is perfect
Couple of extra inches in torso length helps when dressing and in ride position.
Waist cinch straps help keep everything in place
Tried the L in the classic .length was good. Torso was snug.
My mate has the SFD version in XL.
Crazy big and long on me

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
What Dirtlej version did you get ?
Im 5ft 9 too and went XL because of my manly chest? fit is perfect
Couple of extra inches in torso length helps when dressing and in ride position.
Waist cinch straps help keep everything in place
Tried the L in the classic .length was good. Torso was snug.
My mate has the SFD version in XL.
Crazy big and long on me
I bought the new grey coloured classic version, I know the sizing seems off, a friend of mine has the original green one, he is the same height as me and had xl, and is not too long for him?

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Just to give you all a laugh, this
Screenshot_20181215-191550_Photos.jpg
was the size large on me.
I'm 5 9 with 42 inch chest for reference.

StuR

Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
I bought the new grey coloured classic version, I know the sizing seems off, a friend of mine has the original green one, he is the same height as me and had xl, and is not too long for him?
Weird !!
I guess potential purchasers would be wise to try various ones

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
You could have made the bed before you took the pic...

I really like these but there’s no chance of getting one to fit.

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
Since the dirtlej "XL" size is not fitting my "XL" body, i sadly couldn't take it with me.
But a friend of mine did, he's nearly 2m tall and very slim, the XL fit's him good. Guess the dirtlej XL is made for the taller people, not for the bigger ones :)

He's more than happy with that suit, it's good quality and does exactly what it's meant to do - keeping the dirt, water and cold air outside.
3CA9F11D-A545-4880-8EF3-BD5FBB95E412.jpeg

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Does the road climb through Cheddar Gorge get very muddy?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Worth it though. I used mine for the first time today and finished the ride with a nice clean and dry base layer. My Sealskinz socks, on the other hand... ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles