Differences between 22' Rails and previous years.

Sid808632

Oct 5, 2021
Aus
Hi Guys - Found this interesting link on the Australian site today after some digging.
Details the changes in the Rail lineup from a frame POV plus some interesting facts I couldn't find elsewhere online.

TLDR-
What is different about the frame compared to previous versions?

Rail 9.7 and below use the same frame as previous models.
Rail 9.8 and up have new frames with: - Slash-inspired geometry – 64.5-degree head angle and longer reach - Bigger 1.8” head tube and 34.9mm seat tube - Capacity for larger 750 watt-hour battery

markloch

May 14, 2021
NorCal
They're on the US site as well.

9.8 and above will have the new system, and the 750 will be removable.

which includes

GrandesRoues

Jul 26, 2019
Alpes Françaises
As for the 9.8 and 9.9
The motor as been tilt a little bit, and is lower. This combine with the new batterie connector, allows it to sit lower. But on the picture, you can clearly see that it still goes higher, up to the fork crown. watch here at 1:41

Last edited:

dixie600mhz

Oct 13, 2020
Austin, Texas
No updates for 9.7 and below during 2022.
Vital MTB: 2022 Trek Rail 9.9 and 9.8 - The Most E, eMTB to Date.

HGmtb

Patreon
Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
According to Pinkbike the Bosch motor doesn't clatter any more "The motor was also extremely quiet and didn't emit any clunky noises while descending, unlike the bikes we tested with the rattling Shimano EP8 motor at our Summer Field Test."

Sid808632

Oct 5, 2021
Aus
Damn these are very good looking - I have the rail 9 ordered delivery 2 weeks. Wanted to upgrade to the 9,8 but delivery is June earliest so it's a no from me, going to stick to the standard.

mastakilla

Apr 25, 2020
usa
I really wish they would have bumped it to a 170/170 or a 170/160 bike and I not sure why they did not. Everything else about the bike looks pretty amazing, modern geo, top battery and motor, lightweight carbon frame, short chainstays. If they bumped the travel and did fox suspension that would be the absolute ultimate at least for me. Anyways, I was definitely happy to see the longer reach frames, these are gonna be great bikes.

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
Started with the 9.8 2020, have the 2021 now.
new one looks nice, but it’sjust too much tech and batteries to charge on the new one. Not to mention the price increase. (At least here)
The suspension seems nice though, but not in a hurry to upgrade this time

Rostle32

Sep 26, 2018
Uk
the prices are getting proper obscene now ! i splashed 4800 on a rail 7 last summer,
and i thought that was plenty to spend (awesome bike BTW), just had a quick look over the images of the 2022 bike and it
looks dandy, but pound to a piece of shit the paint is still very fragile(for emtb)
and its still got that shitty charging flap thats absolutely useless,
but lets dazzle people with glittery paint and bits of fragile tech that they can fanny about with
on their phones ,instead of sorting snags that still exist !!

Grundy

Apr 17, 2021
Wales
Damn these are very good looking - I have the rail 9 ordered delivery 2 weeks. Wanted to upgrade to the 9,8 but delivery is June earliest so it's a no from me, going to stick to the standard.
I’ve got a 9 coming mid November but I’d love a 9.8 GX if they do one in the UK. Where are you in the world? If the UK, there’s no point me changing my order as I’ll have the same wait as you

Sid808632

Oct 5, 2021
Aus
I’ve got a 9 coming mid November but I’d love a 9.8 GX if they do one in the UK. Where are you in the world? If the UK, there’s no point me changing my order as I’ll have the same wait as you
I am in Melbourne, Australia mate

Black8917

Jun 17, 2021
PNW
Is it possible to buy a frame and motor? I have upgraded everything on my 2021 9.8 would like to just swap my suspension and everything over

Pyga Tom

Jan 25, 2020
South Africa
Hi All

I ordered a 7 back in August, and the bikes have just landed, but only 9.7's, so it was a case of take it or leave it. So I will be receiving a 2022 9.7 this week.

Does anyone know why Trek have not used the same frame for the 9.7 vs the new 9? I would have thought that it would be much easier for them just to have one carbon frame?

Thanks

Tom

Pablo!!

Oct 23, 2021
UK
Hi All

I ordered a 7 back in August, and the bikes have just landed, but only 9.7's, so it was a case of take it or leave it. So I will be receiving a 2022 9.7 this week.

Does anyone know why Trek have not used the same frame for the 9.7 vs the new 9? I would have thought that it would be much easier for them just to have one carbon frame?

Thanks

Tom

My guess is that the frames would have already being ordered/built in advance, the delay of components has left them with a load of frames.

The new 2022 frame again would have been designed/ordered in advance so to get through them all they have spilt the range 9.7 / 9.8-9.9

P.

Sid808632

Oct 5, 2021
Aus
Update - Been riding my 22' Rail for approx. 2 weeks now, absolutely badass - my first E-mtb and it rips, lots of fun. First upgrade will prob be brakes, not much feel/stopping power on descents for me at least. Overall mega impressed,

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
The 9.7 still uses the 625 battery, the new carbon frames are designed to take the 750 batteries, so the battery compartment would be to big for the 9.7

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
Update - Been riding my 22' Rail for approx. 2 weeks now, absolutely badass - my first E-mtb and it rips, lots of fun. First upgrade will prob be brakes, not much feel/stopping power on descents for me at least. Overall mega impressed,
Congratulations on the new bike. I love my 1. Gen. Have a 2022 on order. How many km have you got out of the battery? I get 35km on mine in EMTB mode, 95% trails

Rostle32

Sep 26, 2018
Uk
Just make sure you dont open the charging flap more than 3/4 open, when you plug charger in,
otherwise you,ll end up taping the flap shut like many other Rail owners have had to resort to!!
See the charging port thread!!

Sid808632

Oct 5, 2021
Aus
Just make sure you dont open the charging flap more than 3/4 open, when you plug charger in,
otherwise you,ll end up taping the flap shut like many other Rail owners have had to resort to!!
See the charging port thread!!
Wow I have been doing this... Thank you for the tip, much appreciated.

Sid808632

Oct 5, 2021
Aus
Congratulations on the new bike. I love my 1. Gen. Have a 2022 on order. How many km have you got out of the battery? I get 35km on mine in EMTB mode, 95% trails
Thank you so much! Yep it's amazing will post some pics when I take it out next.

I have done a 35km ride EMTB mode also, had approx. 50% left, wasn't the hardest of rides topography wise but certainly wasn't easy, very impressed :D

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
I’m Looking forward to the extra mileage. It’s usually not a problem, but I have cut trips short a few times due to running low in battery. For 80% of my riding 625 battery is enough, but it will be great to have the option to keep going.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles