Did your Vitus come with a motor bash guard ?!?!?

frazerrobbo

Mar 7, 2019
Aberdeen, Scotland
Hey Vitus rider community - Need advice.

I bought the Deore version of the E Sommet in late March. This past weekend, I dinged the underside of the motor casing on a rock on a trail and cracked the motor housing and so started looking online for a bash guard and replacement motor housing. I got a new motor housing form Bikester for £16 but could not find a bash guard.

Then , to my surprise I noticed that other users bikes photos on this forum (Deore edition) all had a bash plate fitted under the motor along with a black protector strip on the down tube. Even the CRC website image has this bash plate visible now that i've gone back for a look.

My bike did not come with a bash guard fitted, only the slim black strip on the down tube, and so im pretty gutted that this damage could have been avoided had CRC property QC'd and fitted this guard.

Since these are direct sales I had no idea it was missing. Never occurred to me since I bought the cheaper of the two models and the first time I saw the bike what when it arrived. No inventory comes wit the bike so no way to tell if every single nut and bolt is accounted for really.

Anyway, I'd like to know if you guys all have motor bash guards as standard and seek any advice for approaching CRC. I've already emailed them photo proof from purchase showing missing componet and asked if they will do a new replacement bike for me due to their error and the now subsequent damage, but since i've used the bike numerous times I am worried they might play hardball with me.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers,
Fraz

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Is the version you have the VR with the E8000 motor, or the standard with the E7000 motor? I believe the E7000 does not come with a bash guard

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I believe the pictures on the website are wrong - if you look at the attached picture (screen grab from CRC Video) of the standard E-Sommett with the E7000 motor you will see it has no guard.

I believe the picture used on the website is actually an E8000 equipped bike with the E7000 parts on it, as the motor lookalike an e8000, or its a photoshopped VR /with the parts swapped out for the photos.

Screenshot 2019-03-26 at 20.44.36.png

Screenshot 2019-03-26 at 20.50.03.png

Screenshot 2019-03-26 at 20.50.20.png

frazerrobbo

Mar 7, 2019
Aberdeen, Scotland
On this forum member ‘craigy’ Showed his Deore version arrived and it DID HAVE the bash guard.

I’m confused as his was only 6 days before mine arrived without one.

Something is not right here with the CRC shipping and QC
EE355E12-969B-40FA-A370-BB2E34C1703C.png

755BF50B-37F3-4199-98CE-ED869398C691.png

7CA926D5-BC49-4F0D-9F25-A1D3468F3251.png

5AEAA6E4-629B-4F44-8865-B692A4967193.png

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Interesting - you can see its the bash guard designed for the e8000 motor due to the gaps, i.e its not designed for that motor - maybe his bike is the anomaly and they accidentally fitted it, as every photo I can see of the standard sommett doesn't have a guard. Weird

frazerrobbo

Mar 7, 2019
Aberdeen, Scotland
Interesting - you can see its the bash guard designed for the e8000 motor due to the gaps, i.e its not designed for that motor - maybe his bike is the anomaly and they accidentally fitted it, as every photo I can see of the standard sommett doesn't have a guard. Weird
I have sent CRC a huge email this evening essentially complaining about this so hoping they can supply something or at the very least explain what is goi g on. I’ll post back on when I get a reply.

In any case I got a new motor housing so can replace that easily and I already fashioned a one made bash guard from an old cut down Maxxis tyre and packing foam which I can zip tie onto the frame and motor.

Curious to hear if any other Deore version owners got a bash guard fitted as stock on their E7000 motor.

Cheers,
Fraz

grover

Apr 23, 2019
PT
I have sent CRC a huge email this evening essentially complaining about this so hoping they can supply something or at the very least explain what is goi g on. I’ll post back on when I get a reply.

In any case I got a new motor housing so can replace that easily and I already fashioned a one made bash guard from an old cut down Maxxis tyre and packing foam which I can zip tie onto the frame and motor.

Curious to hear if any other Deore version owners got a bash guard fitted as stock on their E7000 motor.

Cheers,
Fraz

@frazerrobbo did you got an answer from CRC about the bash guard?

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
Now available, looks as flimsy as the E8000 protector but will probably be fine for flying debris, just not as an actual bash guard.

[edit] its also twice the price of the E8000 protector, thanks CRC.... [/edit]

ceejays88

May 28, 2020
Wirral
Description says it's to replace the bashguard and bolts.... How can I replace something I never had in the first place ?

SmartSelect_20200616-193800_Chrome.jpg

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
Mine arrived, looks right shape, not fitted it yet as need to give the bike a wash first. Quality is pretty poor but it'll do what i want which is basically a mud/spray/flying stones protector, its not a bash guard.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles