Diagnostic software-

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
HI Gary - last 2 rides I have been getting 503 (no speed detected ) so I put a new magnet on (lined up with the sensor bar) and it worked for a while (3-4 miles) then errored again- but on and off (mostly on) for a 25ish mile ride yesterday.

its been on the shop computer today and no errors have been recorded.

very frustrating! I think I will have to fit a new speed sensor - to try and rule it out?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Sorry. mate .I don't know my way around a bosch. Just sharing that link to the code readings.
As with my Shimano I'd be checking connections first (after the sensor/magnet alignment). Take out each connector (Sorry. don't know if this is the case with your motor) Give everything a clean and grease and make sure the connections are sound,

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
SOLVED - No thanks to Rutland Cycles or the Potatoe heads in Hargroves Cycles.

I decided to order a new sensor cable and strip it ready to fit the new one later this week

The motor had to come out in order to free the sensor wire, dead easy just 2 bolts and 2 torx and 1 Allen.
p4pb16611725.jpg

And to my delight I found that the sensor wire had been crushed:
p4pb16611722.jpg

This has got to be the cause of my intermittent problem.

I will take my time fitting the new one to make sure this doesnt happen again - mind you - at worst it lasts about 350 miles before it starts to play up!!!!

FYI mine was crushed (roughly) where it fits over the back of the motor.

Also all my connections were bone dry:
p4pb16611724.jpg

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
Back on topic

While I wait for the new sensor to arrive (which will be my shed spare for any future testing) I have discovered that I can reroute the wire from the rear of the chain stay (internally) to exit with the brake hose - much further up and closer to the suspension pivot - which mean the cable wont have to flex as much. Also I can flip the sensor 180 deg (to make it point backwards) and it creates a 10mm gap (instead of 17mm) on the magnet due to being nearer the hub, also this way round the magnet is easier to line up as the sensor line has the bosch logo paralel to it!

The only issue with this is the brake hose hole in the stay wont fit the sensor plug through - but the cable will fit- so as I have a knackered section of cable I have nothing to lose by cutting the pinch out and soldering a new section of wire in to allow this routing

The individual wires are 2mm so I have a nice little soldering and heat shrink job on.

p4pb16615286.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Are you sure you want to internally route it if it means splicing the cable? - the sensor cable is a pretty common failure point on many bikes, not just bosch, personally i would want to be able to swap it out easily

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
Are you sure you want to internally route it if it means splicing the cable? - the sensor cable is a pretty common failure point on many bikes, not just bosch, personally i would want to be able to swap it out easily

Soldering is easy but then again I can solder like a brain surgeon - and I enjoy it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles