Kenevo Gen1 Diagnosis help - 2019 Kenevo assistance fail

Kid Kenevo

Aug 16, 2022
London
My 2019 Kenevo FSR Expert 6Fattie (owned from new) has failed. Any ideas from the wisdom of this crowd appreciated:

1. Handlebar remote had intermittently failed over ~6 months. Control on frame worked fine.
2. Suddenly assistance failed: powers on, can change assistance level, but delivers zero assistance while pedalling
3. Tried cleaning/lubing the battery cover door (per advice on here)
4. Tried cleaning the speed sensor and magnet (per advice on here)
5. Mission Control App gives green tick/check for System Status, Odo 3200km, Batt Health 90%, Charge 95%, 109 cycles, Batt Hardware 1.0, firmware A.18.A, 41.0V, but no details for the Motor (no S/N, H/W, F/W details, Temp 0 deg C which is not correct)
6. Took to LBS who successfully updated firmware but thereafter shrugged*.
7. Mission Control app now shows Batt firmware 10.24.10
8. Downloaded BLEvo which shows green dot for bike, battery, but flashing red for motor

Feels like either a sensor issue or a sudden and total motor failure. Anything I should try?

Kid Kenevo

*Specialized dealer in a MTB resort in peak season. He is busy fixing his own fleet of rentals and doing high margin brake swaps. Could look at my bike in September (ie after the MTB season). Next nearest urban Spesh Shop is >2hrs away

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I know you've cleaned it, but I'd check the cable/plug/socket again for any tiny metal particles which might be stuck.

Sounds like the motor isn't seen at all which would suggest a connection issue, or possibly a failure of the cable itself. They can split, though normally that was a problem on the Levo's with the 2.1 motor.

You could also take off the left side top motor cover and check the cables/connections. Possibly completely disconnect the handlebar remote if it's not working, in case it's causing an issue.

Reactions: Dax

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
This sounds like the issue you have when the lead to the battery isn't plugged on.

Kid Kenevo

Aug 16, 2022
London
Thank you all. Really appreciate the ideas/advice.

Since the LBS were able to update the firmware on the battery *and* motor in the shop, using a wiring harness that connects to both the male batt cover and the female charger socket on the bike, itook @Dax and @Zimmerframe's advice and scrubbed, lubed, poked and generally fettled with the battery cover until it worked. Thank you so much - the advice saved me a potentially very expensive motor replacement.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Glad you've got it fixed!

There are also wiring harness faults that will cause similar symptoms, but this is totally typical of 'not plugged in'. In my case usually because the magnetic connector has picked up some metal swarf and isn't seated right.

When I'm riding my OG Kenevo I always plug in the harness, power it on, and check that the rocker makes it beep, before I load it into the car.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles