Di2 upgrade

Samwise

Apr 10, 2019
Hampshire, England
Has anyone upgraded to di2 gearing? I know some of the higher models already come equipped with Di2. Just wondering how easy it is to make the upgrade?

Many thanks

Samwise

Apr 10, 2019
Hampshire, England
Di2 is a doddle to fit, I have it on my cube ebike commuter
That's good to know. I believe I just need rear mech, shifter and 2 cables.... One to go from shifter to display and another to go from rear derailleur into the motor? It's this one that that has me a bit unsure as I don't even have the bike yet I'm not sure how it plugs into the motor... Hopefully simple and doesn't require removing anything

Samwise

Apr 10, 2019
Hampshire, England
Previous thread about it here: Upgrade to Di2 shifting - EMTB Forums

I'm about to do the same, all I'm waiting on is getting the correct cable lengths from Focus (for a Jam2 as the top models comes standard with Di2) to order them -> local bike shop will do the install.
That's a good idea. I've ordered mine from Rutland, so will ask them about cables. As for install, will try to do it myself unless it requires removing the motor to fit the cable. Fingers crossed it doesn't ?

Welshman

Subscriber
Nov 8, 2018
South wales
That's good to know. I believe I just need rear mech, shifter and 2 cables.... One to go from shifter to display and another to go from rear derailleur into the motor? It's this one that that has me a bit unsure as I don't even have the bike yet I'm not sure how it plugs into the motor... Hopefully simple and doesn't require removing anything
And one from display to battery.....so that’s 3 cables

I don’t have mine fitted to bike battery I have di2 battery fitted into the handlebars

Phill_B_34

Feb 11, 2019
Brisbane, AUS
And one from display to battery.....so that’s 3 cables
I don’t have mine fitted to bike battery I have di2 battery fitted into the handlebars

Different setup on Focus Jam/Sam bikes.
To add Di2 shifting to a Focus, only 2 new cables are needed, yellow and red in the diagram below (this is Pivot's wiring diagram which is essentially the same for all Shimano E8000 installs).

Pivot Wiring1.jpg

Welshman

Subscriber
Nov 8, 2018
South wales
Different setup on Focus Jam/Sam bikes.
To add Di2 shifting to a Focus, only 2 new cables are needed, yellow and red in the diagram below (this is Pivot's wiring diagram which is essentially the same for all Shimano E8000 installs).

View attachment 12830
I can see now....the display has extra ports for the di2. I don’t have that on my Bosch motor, that’s why 3 are needed

Phill_B_34

Feb 11, 2019
Brisbane, AUS
Do you know if the motor has to be removed to route the rear derailleur cable to the motor?

No idea but I'd guess yes as the cable has to get from the drive side, across the top of the motor to the non-drive side to be plugged in. I'm getting brakes upgraded at the same time so the motor is being dropped anyway.

Phill_B_34

Feb 11, 2019
Brisbane, AUS
I think I'll do that. Does it void warranty if you drop motor yourself?
I think you can service (including dropping your motor yourself) in Australia without voiding warranty as long as you don't obviously break something then try and claim a repair under warranty.
My dealer hinted at this in our last chat. I could do the work myself but if I broke anything then they'd have a hard look if it was my fault or not. They are happy to do the work (and me supply the components, they know and are happy with what I've got/getting), ensure all the components work together and continue to warranty the bike and the installation of the new bits (the new components warranty is with each components supplier).
Dealers doing the job -> easy decision really.

Samwise

Apr 10, 2019
Hampshire, England
I will speak with my where I bought the bike and see what they suggest. where I ordered online they are not local for me to get them to do it. Ive always done my own maintenance in the past, its just the motor bit that's new to me. Sure ill get there in the end

Keisari66

May 1, 2019
Finland
So I just fitted a Di2 rear mech. Brings up W032, do I now need the cables and the pc software to enable the electric shifting? The bike is Focus Jam2 2017.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles