Di2 to standard mech?

LawmanMtb

Aug 15, 2018
Wigan
Has anyone else's Shimano powered bike come with Di2 gears and you decided to swap over to a normal Shimano XT mech and shifter? if so, how did it go? and did you have to change anything else on the bike? software or anything? any info appreciated (y)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
No experience.. but theoretically you'd need to re-configure the unit so it knows it's not Di2 anymore.

You can do this with either the PC USB to Shimano box or something like StepsUnocker through bluetooth.

I guess as a quick test you could unplug the Di2 cable (inside the left side motor cover or from the derailleur) to see if it still boots up and runs ok - you won't be able to change gear, but you'd know if the motor/display works or not. If it doesn't you'll need to re-configure which takes about 30 seconds.

If it does work like that then you can make the physical changes, without worrying too much about re-configuring the software. I think the only difference then would be with walk mode as with Di2 it changes the power depending what gear it's in, where as without Di2 it just gives you "SLOW" in case you're in a high gear already.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Just another q regarding Di2 - will it adjust/cut the assist when shifting ?
I got a Di2 I want to mount...when I get the time :)

If you have the Di2 connected to the E8000 and not a standalone Di2 (why would you), then yes, if you configure Di2 on the E8000 then it cuts the motor momentarily when you shift. Though from other posts, this doesn't mean you can bash your way though the gears without a care in he world, I think you still have to ease a bit, it just helps. From what you've said, you have stepsunlocker, so it should be easy for you to re-configure your settings to change to Di2.

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
Yep...the Di2 components would connect to the display (2 free plugs)
Sounds good that it will limit the assist, to ease the shift.
Will try it later and see how it goes.

Maybe auto-shift is not that far away (or does it allready exist ?)
It knows my cadance and foot-power....
I might still use manual shift, but it would be nice to know (via a beep/biip) when the computer think it would be most benefit to shift.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
So just to update this in case anyone ends up here looking for answers.

It looks like if you have a Di2 bike and remove the Di2 and run it as a mechanical shifter. You don't need to re-configure the E8000 settings to tell it you don't have Di2. (As you would if you're changing from Mechanical to Di2).

I suppose it makes sense, if you were out on the trails and the Di2 or the Di2 cable was damaged, you wouldn't want to be stranded. So on a re-boot the E8000 just presumes it's not there and you can limp home as a singlespeed.

LawmanMtb

Aug 15, 2018
Wigan
makes sense, i was concerned it might create an issue with the running of the motor, with it all being electronic, all good to know, Cheers (y)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles