Di2 Shifter Orientation Preference?

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
I know that the X and Y can be swapped around with software but what are peoples preference for which lever does what. Currently my inboard lever shifts to a smaller cog and my outboard lever shifts to a bigger cog (that's how it came set up from the LBS), occasionally I'll shift the wrong way which makes me think I should swap it around but then I'd probably still get it wrong occasionally. Is my current set up the preferred way and should I just get used to it?

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
To me, it's the lower switch that makes easy'er gear, and upper switch makes heavy'er gear.
I've used both directions, but when it gets busy and I have to change gears quickly without thinking about directions, it's the above configuration that works for me.

My local trail is 21km long and I get around 330 shifts pr round on my MTB using Di2.
The same trail on my eMTB will get me approx 200 shifts (this might change, as I'm very new to eMTB (2 weeks) compared to MTB (+30 years)).

I've used XT Di2 from the start they arrived, and never smashed a part (+20.000km on trails).
I know it's personal preference....but if you never tried it....just try it out.
To me...it's just wonderfull.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
To me, it's the lower switch that makes easy'er gear, and upper switch makes heavy'er gear.
I've used both directions, but when it gets busy and I have to change gears quickly without thinking about directions, it's the above configuration that works for me.

My local trail is 21km long and I get around 330 shifts pr round on my MTB using Di2.
The same trail on my eMTB will get me approx 200 shifts (this might change, as I'm very new to eMTB (2 weeks) compared to MTB (+30 years)).

I've used XT Di2 from the start they arrived, and never smashed a part (+20.000km on trails).
I know it's personal preference....but if you never tried it....just try it out.
To me...it's just wonderfull.

Thanks, sounds like your Di2 is set up the same as mine.

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
I think mine is reversed as pr default setting....but it works best for me this way - I don't have to think about it, when I need to change urgent :)

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
I think mine is set up the same as both of yours. I kind of remember it by: the longer lever is easier to push (both less force and closer to hand for emergency shifts) so it gives an easier gear.

I've also extended the plastic bit on the long lever, so there is more separation between the two and less chance of hitting the wrong one.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
I think mine is set up the same as both of yours. I kind of remember it by: the longer lever is easier to push (both less force and closer to hand for emergency shifts) so it gives an easier gear.

I've also extended the plastic bit on the long lever, so there is more separation between the two and less chance of hitting the wrong one.
Did any of you try the other switches ?
6010 or the 6000 model ?
I might go for the 6010.

i have the 6000 on the way, I believe it’s slimmer in width and has the 3rd button to toggle through the display.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Did any of you try the other switches ?
6010 or the 6000 model ?
I might go for the 6010.

They all look useful in different ways and depending on what you want :)

I've gone for the E7000 switch for my assist modes now - it's more slimline and out of the way. But definitely seems slightly harder to find the right button sometimes as they are smaller.

For the gear shifter I've actually got the XTR Di2 version fitted currently - it has 2 click positions as you push the lever in, so you can set up single shift on one click, and multi shift on the second click. Which seemed quite useful to start with. But I've since realised when going over bumpy ground I just don't have the control to always get the number of clicks I want … so I've just made both click positions the same now, so it's a bit useless!

@R120 seems to have a good collection of all the shifters: That’s better - EMTB Forums :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles