Derestrictors on Ebikes

Big Fish

May 26, 2020
Wisconsin
I've been reading about the Planet3 deristrictors. I'm curious about what people in the USA are doing with their gearing to actually utilize this device. The USA class 1 bikes limit out at 20 MPH or 32 KPH. In my case, I own a 2020 Levo and with the stock gearing, I'm pretty much spun out at 20 MPH anyways. Are people installing larger chainrings for more top end or are they just spinning their butts off?

Forever Wild

May 21, 2020
Arizona
I've been reading about the Planet3 deristrictors. I'm curious about what people in the USA are doing with their gearing to actually utilize this device. The USA class 1 bikes limit out at 20 MPH or 32 KPH. In my case, I own a 2020 Levo and with the stock gearing, I'm pretty much spun out at 20 MPH anyways. Are people installing larger chainrings for more top end or are they just spinning their butts off?
I installed BLEvo and raised my speed limit to 25mph.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I'm pretty much spun out at 20 MPH anyways.
in that case you really aren't able pedal very quickly.
20mph in 32x11 on a levo is under 80rpm which really isn't a very high cadence
it shouldn't be too difficult to pedal at 90-100rpm (23-26mph) for most decent cyclists and at lot higher cadences for many

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
on a sight downhill slope in top gear I can make it to 31mph while still applying peddling force but no faster. At that point my ankles feel like they are about to detach from my body. 15t front chainring Bosch.

Big Fish

May 26, 2020
Wisconsin
in that case you really aren't able pedal very quickly.
20mph in 32x11 on a levo is under 80rpm which really isn't a very high cadence
it shouldn't be too difficult to pedal at 90-100rpm (23-26mph) for most decent cyclists and at lot higher cadences for many

Gary, I consider myself a "decent" cyclist. It's just that my old legs don't spin like they used to. At this point of my life, 80 RPM cadence is the upper limit of what I feel like pedaling. I guess I'm just curious as to what the top end could be with unlimited gearing. Obviously, the motor only cranks out so many watts and there is rider weight, wind resistance, grade, etc. to factor in, so there will be a limit on the MPH or KPH.

speedkills

May 17, 2020
Boulder, CO
If they are older bikes, people are just using Blevo from what I have seen. If they are newer, I imagine most folks don't want to lose their warranty and just aren't derestricting them.

speedkills

May 17, 2020
Boulder, CO
Which leaves me wondering, who is using the planet3 derestrictors? People with a new enough bike that Blevo doesn't work who don't care about their warranty, or think it can't be detected?

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
I would certainly be a planet3 customer if I updated my 19 kenevo to a 20. My current bike can easily be tweeked to 20mph(I dont need more). The 20 model can no longer be done with software as far as I'm aware.

speedkills

May 17, 2020
Boulder, CO
No worries about the warranty or is Specialized just ignoring it? It delivers 1 out of 3 pulses that should go through the rear wheel speed sensor, I would think there are electronic boxes that can ignore 2 out of 3 pulses as well, but either seems super easy for Specialized engineers to figure out you were using, even after you took it off of the bike. But maybe they aren't enforcing it.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
I use it on my 2020 kenevo , brings it to life . Stock gearing and it works fine , your supposed to be able to pedal 3x the limit but not bothered going that fast as don’t do roads ! Had it on since January with no issues ! Don’t thin spesh care about warranty issues on motors as it ain’t them replacing them ☺️

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
+1 to derestricting. 36t chainring on my Levo. On every ride so far my Garmin reckons I'm spending at least 1/2 of the ride without motor assistance because the speed I'm going is above 15-17mph. I can feel it too, my legs aren't as young as they were and 20 miles on a 21kg odd bike without motor assistance is a royal pain in the arse.

I notice it on downhill runs as well, if there is a technical section where I want to accelerate hard out of a corner; I'd like the backing from the motor.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
At this point of my life, 80 RPM cadence is the upper limit of what I feel like pedaling.
Out of interest, did your preferred pedalling cadence become lower with age or have you always preferred lower pedalling speeds?
I'm wondering if it drops as you age, and if so, why?
higher cadences on normal bikes generally means less pedalling torque. but oddly most Emtb motors actually reduce the torque they assist as cadences become higher.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Ouch....I thought it was the other way around :)
Do we have any (trysted) graph of this on the different motors ?
Yes. There are graphs.
All the motors taper off at higher cadences.
My idea of what a higher cadence (comfortable) is might not correspond with yours.

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
Yes. There are graphs.
All the motors taper off at higher cadences.
My idea of what a higher cadence (comfortable) is might not correspond with yours.

Well...I actually like to be around 90-100 and will max out at 120rpm....maybe a little higher in a short while.
This is while racing....I can't go slow....and won't.

ottoshape

Dec 19, 2018
Right Here
QUOTE="aarfeldt, post: 172605, member: 4078"]I can't go slow....and won't.[/QUOTE]

Cheers! I like moving as fast as the terrain allows...

Well...I actually like to be around 90-100 and will max out at 120rpm....maybe a little higher in a short while.

What gearing are you running? Front chainring teeth? Rear sprocket ranges?

JaySal

Sep 23, 2019
Todwick
Still on default gearing:
32T front and 11-42T rear.
Seems hard to get a steel 34-36T front ring (Levo)
Phone upgrade bikes , they will sort you out before sending orders out to shops. They are the sole UK importer for Praxis Steel rings.

Big Fish

May 26, 2020
Wisconsin
Out of interest, did your preferred pedalling cadence become lower with age or have you always preferred lower pedalling speeds?
I'm wondering if it drops as you age, and if so, why?
higher cadences on normal bikes generally means less pedalling torque. but oddly most Emtb motors actually reduce the torque they assist as cadences become higher.
When I was younger I could spin with the best of them. I was a US national cycling team member back in the late 70s-1982 I remember racing Cat 1-2 crits with Junior Cat. gear restrictions. I lost a lot of finesse of my pedal stroke due to gaining a TON of weight and losing a TON of conditioning. I won't blame my age so much though...I just like beer and baked goodies too much now :)

May 26, 2020
UK
Hey guys, I also recommend Speedbox tuning kits (speed up to 25mph) or PearTune (unlimited speed) - we have them both on our eshop www.ebikechip.com ! Shipping worldwide, and we have them both in UK, Europe and USA warehouses!
Cheers

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles