Derestricting Levo 2020

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
I can only speak about specialized, I have no experience of other brands but as I see it 2017/18 levo,s had the "brain" in the battery but that could be factory reset by the user and I doubt any information was stored other than the distance travelled, battery health and number of charges. I doubt proof of derestricting could be cleaned from that. as long as the user did a factory reset before taking the bike in for service.
The 2019/2020 the "brain" is in the TCU the battery is dumb. specialized upped their game for these models and made it very hard to derestrict, apparently, the eu laws were tightened up to put more responsibility on the manufacturer, apparently!! Software manipulation is now more or less impossible but they can still be "adjusted" mechanically. whether that can be traced is anybodys guess but there is a LOT of scaremongering by dealers.
I think the same situation is in all of EU not just Germany

Thanks, this makes sense to me. Maybe i'll give it a try when my warranty is gone anyway. Not for the trails, but when commuting i often wish i had some more speed available..

TrailwattsUK

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Trader
Aug 27, 2018
Kent
How about a "Retro-Levociraptor" for the 2017/2018 Models out there on the market? Would be a big market since the warranty is running out or is already gone for those models and there are a lot out there ;)
there are so many options and software derestrict options already.

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
Normally I ride deresticted - But at the local races I ride restricted. But it's totally weird to feel the engines cut out at 25 km/h over the flats, where analog bikers easily go 30-35 km/h.

Specialized uses the good old 1.2s engine in the Vado Speed Pedelec with a max of 45 km/h. So the engine is prepared for more speed...

After 3.500 km with deresticting the 1.3s still runs perfectly.
Of course only on private lands :cool:

Last edited:

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
The part no. for the speed sensor cable is S196800004

If you want to make it more hidden, place the sensor on the inside of the motor cover, with a small magnet on the crank spider or chainring.

jmulvaney

Jun 7, 2019
Gold Coast, QLD, Australia
Normally I ride deresticted - But at the local races I ride restricted. But it's totally weird to feel the engines cut out at 25 km/h over the flats, where analog bikers easily go 30-35 km/h.

Specialized uses the good old 1.2s engine in the Vado Speed Pedelec with a max of 45 km/h. So the engine is prepared for more speed...

After 3.500 km with deresticting the 1.3s still runs perfectly.
Of course only on private lands :cool:
How do you ride deresricted at the trails? Simply remove the TCU to turn the levociraptor dial down to 0 or 1? Or do you unplug the device? I am looking for a convenient way to ride the bike fast to the trail but then reduce max speed so I have to work a bit!

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
Hmmm, sounds good, does the sensor pick up the magnet through the cover?
The sensor is a Reed Switch. The cover is made of plastic; AFAIK only certain specific metals will interrupt (re-route) magnetic field lines. The magnet probably needs to be within 5mm of sensor to activate the Reed switch. The exact distance would depend on the strength of the magnet.

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
If you want to make it more hidden, place the sensor on the inside of the motor cover, with a small magnet on the crank spider or chainring.
I haven't done it myself, that's just where I thought I'd put it. But after thinking about it some more I think it is too much trouble. Removing the drive side cover, requires removing the crank spider which requires a specific gear puller tool to avoid damaging the crank torque sensor.

Instead just mount inside left (non-drive) side cover with magnet on crank arm. Position sensor far away from motor (a source of magnetic interference), so somewhere down low. To remove it, the left cover would have to come off anyway (to remove and reconnect the original), so that's now where I'd put it.

EDIT: That would be too far away, so just zip tie sensor to outside of chainstay near end of crank arm.

Last edited:

TrailwattsUK

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Trader
Aug 27, 2018
Kent
How do you ride deresricted at the trails? Simply remove the TCU to turn the levociraptor dial down to 0 or 1? Or do you unplug the device? I am looking for a convenient way to ride the bike fast to the trail but then reduce max speed so I have to work a bit!
Yep, switch bike off.
Turn dial to 0 and then switch bike on?

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark

I ride the 2018 Levo - With BLevo App I can just set the max speed at anytime.
With the 2019/2020 this seems no longer to be possible :eek:

Egodlew

Apr 13, 2020
Us
Has anyone used the Bad Ass 4 box to derestrict a 2019 / 2020 Levo? I’m tempted because the drag after top speed is more annoying than I think it should be (2020 expert). I’ve used them before on my Haibike and it was incredible but the fitting on the Levo is slightly more involved and the bike is way more expensive.

Appreciate your thoughts! :)
The new PearTune 3.0 works perfectly on my 2020 Levo Expert.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
High Rock Ruti

I found a link from an online forum for a set of 3D printed planetary gears, you have to buy the round magnets (specifically sized) to fit into the three plastic pieces what happens is the magnet has to orbit around between a set of two gears an inner and an outer, the effect is to reduce the speed of the magnet by 66%. Your able to pedal with power upto the mid thirties, (on smooth flat pavement of course). The set of gears is the exact depth of the rear axel spacer sitting between the chain stay and the disk rotor. After removing the disk mounted magnet. Takes seconds to install and more importantly to remove. You'd have to look really carefully to see the set up......DON'T FORGET TO REMOVE PRIOR TO HAVING THE BIKE SERVICED. No wiring, no software, pure elegance.
Installation

Last edited:

kaj0103

Oct 23, 2020
Maidstone
Hi... so is there a clear winner or a "chip" that will allow a bit more speed (say mid 20's mph), not affect warranty, and also show you your actual speed? There seem to be a lot of choices, all with their own little "features" :cool:

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Hi... so is there a clear winner or a "chip" that will allow a bit more speed (say mid 20's mph), not affect warranty, and also show you your actual speed? There seem to be a lot of choices, all with their own little "features" :cool:
Changing circumference of the rear wheel to 2000 in MC (dealer can do this) will give you top speed ~18mph, IMO this is the only way to not loose warranty and if you are using 3rd party device which supports setting own wheel circumference (like Garmin devices) and using bike as speed sensor it will show correct speed too ...

Last edited:

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
The "choices" are all the same solution: they interfere with the speed sensor and make the bike think the wheel is spinning slower than it really is. It doesn't matter if it's an electric or analog solution, they all do the same thing. So no, none of them will allow you to display actual speed via Mission Control.

Last edited:

kaj0103

Oct 23, 2020
Maidstone
The "choices" are all the same solution: they interfere with the speed sensor and make the bike think the wheel is spinning slow than it really is. It doesn't matter if it's an electric or analog solution, they all do the same thing. So no, none of them will allow you to display actual speed via Mission Control.
Ahhhh. Thanks for that explanation. So it’s all trickery rather than increasing the speed limiter itself. Cheers!

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts

High Rock Ruti

The clear winner is the planetary gears that make the magnet spin half as fast, on my turbo levo I could pedal on level pavement under power upto 33 mph after that the motor runs out of gas, not governed mind you. The gears slip over the rear axel remove the magnet from the brake disc put it in the planetary gear reassemble, DON'T LEAVE IT IN WHEN YOU TAKE TO THE BIKE SHOP
I run up against my governor all the time, but at 66 I've made an "age appropriate" decision to not de-restrict.

Warm Regards Ruti

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
I run up against my governor all the time, but at 66 I've made an "age appropriate" decision to not de-restrict.

No, you didn't. The planetary gear solutions do the exact same thing as the electronic ones. There is no "derestriction" on the 2019+ bikes as no one has attempted to hack the firmware (at least not publicly).

EDIT: Sorry I think misunderstood your reply. I thought you were trying to say the mechanical solution was more ethical than the electronic ones. Now I realize I think you're saying you tried it but not longer use it (y)

Last edited:

kaj0103

Oct 23, 2020
Maidstone
High Rock Ruti

The clear winner is the planetary gears that make the magnet spin half as fast, on my turbo levo I could pedal on level pavement under power upto 33 mph after that the motor runs out of gas, not governed mind you. The gears slip over the rear axel remove the magnet from the brake disc put it in the planetary gear reassemble, DON'T LEAVE IT IN WHEN YOU TAKE TO THE BIKE SHOP

Warm Regards Ruti
Sounds like the right one. Are they an all or nothing to double the speed or can you get a gear that will add say a 50% increase instead of double?

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Sounds like the right one. Are they an all or nothing to double the speed or can you get a gear that will add say a 50% increase instead of double?

JD LSS is 150%. Planet3 is 300%. You can run more magnets to adjust it. I.e. if you run 2 magnets with the Planet3 it's then 150%. But more magnets creates more noise, more drag, and more wear, so it's a balance.

Last edited:

TrailwattsUK

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Trader
Aug 27, 2018
Kent
CBBB6BAC-35A2-4C12-BAF3-0F6C8256D665.jpeg
Plug into tcu?

Oct 20, 2020
Colorado
Badass Box 4 for 2019 and newer Specialized Levo models for sale. This will also work on any Brose motor (Bulls, Fantic, etc). New in box never been installed. $200 US. If you have questions there are numerous posts discussing its use. I ordered this in October of 2020 and due to the efficiency of the USPS I received it last week, after I had ordered another from a different supplier.
If you live in the US this is the easiest and fastest way to get this product without having to order from Germany or Australia. Many retailers in the EU will not ship this to the US.

images.jpg

Woody1975

Jul 15, 2020
amsterdam

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
Has anyone used the Bad Ass 4 box to derestrict a 2019 / 2020 Levo? I’m tempted because the drag after top speed is more annoying than I think it should be (2020 expert). I’ve used them before on my Haibike and it was incredible but the fitting on the Levo is slightly more involved and the bike is way more expensive.

Appreciate your thoughts! :)
High Rock Ruti

There's only one clear choice, the set of planetary gears that fit over the rear axel replacing the rear disk mounted magnet. It causes a reduction in the number of times the magnet triggers the speed sensor, I pedaled on flat ground to 33 mph and it is easy to install and more importantly easy to uninstall....(don't forget to remove it the having the bike serviced) it is mechanical and not electronic, I've asked on this forum and was "told" that the data register will show you pedaling at 30 mph, but I don't know of this is true or not? I ask others to weigh in on this question?

Warm Regards

Ruti

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles