Derestricting Levo 2020

Parrychops

Sep 24, 2019
London
Has anyone used the Bad Ass 4 box to derestrict a 2019 / 2020 Levo? I’m tempted because the drag after top speed is more annoying than I think it should be (2020 expert). I’ve used them before on my Haibike and it was incredible but the fitting on the Levo is slightly more involved and the bike is way more expensive.

Appreciate your thoughts! :)

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Has anyone used the Bad Ass 4 box to derestrict a 2019 / 2020 Levo? I’m tempted because the drag after top speed is more annoying than I think it should be (2020 expert). I’ve used them before on my Haibike and it was incredible but the fitting on the Levo is slightly more involved and the bike is way more expensive.

Appreciate your thoughts! :)

Try to ask your LBS to set the wheelcircumference to 2000. Cutoff will then happen around 30km/h. Makes a big difference in ride feeling! If not enough for you, then you might want to check also the Levociraptor speed hack solution.

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Try to ask your LBS to set the wheelcircumference to 2000. Cutoff will then happen around 30km/h. Makes a big difference in ride feeling! If not enough for you, then you might want to check also the Levociraptor speed hack solution.
Mine is set to 2000 and still cuts off at 25km/h :unsure:

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Mine is set to 2000 and still cuts off at 25km/h :unsure:

I think you still use MC. In reality the real speed must be higher at least when you kept the original 29 inch wheelset in the bike. If you use BLEvo (which automatically recognizes the fake 2000 setting compared to your real wheel setting) you will see that the real speed/cutoff lies around 30km/h. It will also not void Specialized’s warranty! (but strictly taken the bike is not street legal anymore as cutoff is limited to 25km/h in europe)

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Are there any other downsides (beside wrong speed info from Levo sensor) if you change wheelcircumference to 2000?
I'm using Garmin watch to display all info from Levo sensors, but if I change wheelcircumference I will have to put Garmin speed sensor on a hub to show correct speed ....

Parrychops

Sep 24, 2019
London
I don’t know TBH I haven’t tried them. The Bad ass 4 hasn’t arrived yet but I did put one in my Haibike and it was fantastic

Parrychops

Sep 24, 2019
London
Don't do it, it's bad for access issues but also engineered around NOT cracking the code, just ride it as is, its more than enough assistance.
I am inclined to agree with you but when the assistance cuts out it’s like riding through treacle. I find the tyre choices so confusing. I ride on hard packed mainly and want the best rollers but with grip for trails. Am I asking for the moon? ?

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
High Rock Ruti

I bought a 3D printed small nylon set of planetary gears fits over the axle spacer on the rotor side of the rear wheel. Remove the magnet from the disk rotor install a 3mm magnet in the planetary gears reduces rotation of cadence sensor by 50% on pavement was able to pedal under power to 33 mph too fast 2019 turbo levo s works. Let's face it pedaling on a trail to 33 mph is silly but into the mid twenties is really nice.

May 29, 2018
california
I am inclined to agree with you but when the assistance cuts out it’s like riding through treacle. I find the tyre choices so confusing. I ride on hard packed mainly and want the best rollers but with grip for trails. Am I asking for the moon? ?
Asking for the moon? No, but sounds like you should buy a motorcycle.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Take out the Brose motor and throw it in the bin. It’s shit anyway, how dare it restrict your speed. Throw the battery in the bin while you’re at it. Now grab the brush cutter, rip out the motor and fuel tank and fit that to your bike.

TrailwattsUK

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Trader
Aug 27, 2018
Kent
w levociraptor!! my specy center ordered ten(10)!! we are sure @TrailwattsUK that when we have to update the firmware or make a guarranty job is possible to take it off without any track?;):p
Remove levociraptor procedure before firmware update.
Updating firmware after versions have been tested by manufacturer advisable.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
i have my bike derestricted but just to the American limit, if spesh think its ok to set the cutoff at that level in some parts of the world Technically it must be ok for the bike.
anybody who thinks a derestricted pedelec is like riding a motorbike is ill-informed. the speed limit of an e- bike is governed not by the motor cutoff but by the gearing and the strength of your legs

Chappy42

Jul 26, 2019
Surprise, AZ.
Alright alright I get it ? in my defence though, I LOVE the bike ok? I just wanted advice on the treacle drag and replacing tyres for better rollers. I’ll zip it now ?
The OEM tires are awful for hard packed and loose or sand trails. I changed my front to a Maxxis Minion, night and day difference. The front now stays planted.

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
I really wonder... is derestricting not an issue outside of germany? Dealers here clearly state, that this will void the warranty, no matter which brand. My lbs already had two malfunctioning batteries sent to Specialized which they refused to replace because some sort of derestricting was used. He even said, i should better not connect other apps that "could" derestrict the bike, cause this is detectable and can fire back to me in case of a warranty issue.

And from the new Bosch motor/software he told me, that they now can detect derestricting and will allow it one or twice but then lock down the system completely so only the dealer can unlock it again. And if it happens again after that, not even the dealer can help and it has to be sent to Bosch. Not sure it's true - maybe Bosch is spreading nonsense on purpose, but we will see soon :)

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I can only speak about specialized, I have no experience of other brands but as I see it 2017/18 levo,s had the "brain" in the battery but that could be factory reset by the user and I doubt any information was stored other than the distance travelled, battery health and number of charges. I doubt proof of derestricting could be cleaned from that. as long as the user did a factory reset before taking the bike in for service.
The 2019/2020 the "brain" is in the TCU the battery is dumb. specialized upped their game for these models and made it very hard to derestrict, apparently, the eu laws were tightened up to put more responsibility on the manufacturer, apparently!! Software manipulation is now more or less impossible but they can still be "adjusted" mechanically. whether that can be traced is anybodys guess but there is a LOT of scaremongering by dealers.
I think the same situation is in all of EU not just Germany

Lithium

Jun 4, 2018
UK
Whilst researching this earlier in the year I decided against dongles that bypass or replace the Spesh cables - not because of whether Spesh could see/tell or not but because of water ingress issues. If you see the bottom two connectors on the example below, there are no rubber O-rings or even the right shaped plugs to fill the motor sockets. Scary!
1570639977875.png

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Whilst researching this earlier in the year I decided against dongles that bypass or replace the Spesh cables - not because of whether Spesh could see/tell or not but because of water ingress issues. If you see the bottom two connectors on the example below, there are no rubber O-rings or even the right shaped plugs to fill the motor sockets. Scary! View attachment 19813

You are 100% right! This design is asking for issues!

Have you seen however the new Levociraptor sold by Trail Watts? There water ingress is virtually impossible.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles