Derestricting E160 / E180

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Has anyone managed to derestrict their E160 or E180 (85nm firmware) as yet without the dreaded 504 error?

If so, which solution would you recommend?

RsGaz

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
N. Lincolnshire
gone volspeed here. as much as i love the bike, i also do a lot of local trails on flat to low gradients and getting the assistance up to around 18 would feel more normal for what i'm used to. It's slightly disheartening trying to keep up a speed i would manage at ease with my old giant anthem.
Have you noticed if you’re using a lot more battery/getting less distance with the volspeed on

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
If you aren't careful then it is easy to use more battery. However I'd say since installing it I've got more range as I use eco/tour a lot more often.

GuyWo

Mar 6, 2021
Leicester
gone volspeed here. as much as i love the bike, i also do a lot of local trails on flat to low gradients and getting the assistance up to around 18 would feel more normal for what i'm used to. It's slightly disheartening trying to keep up a speed i would manage at ease with my old giant anthem.
Is it reasonably easy to fit space wise ?.
Any fitting advice appreciated..
New e150 rs owner.?

Has anyone managed to derestrict their E160 or E180 (85nm firmware) as yet without the dreaded 504 error?

If so, which solution would you recommend?

Quite new with ebike specs, have done a lot of reading about all these derestricting options.
What do you mean with the E160/E180.. I do have the 85Nm firmware. (1.1.2.0 firmware on a Bosch Performance CX Gen4 engine)
Was thinking about the BadAss Box but its not really working with the data in the Kiox.. (still doubt about that)

cheers J

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Quite new with ebike specs, have done a lot of reading about all these derestricting options.
What do you mean with the E160/E180.. I do have the 85Nm firmware. (1.1.2.0 firmware on a Bosch Performance CX Gen4 engine)
Was thinking about the BadAss Box but its not really working with the data in the Kiox.. (still doubt about that)

cheers J

Hi Jerome,

E160/E180 being the Whyte E160/E180 bikes (not the motor) ?

Cheers, Andy

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
I see the Speedbox 'B' is out now, does it have less chance of triggering a 504 error or is it just additional features not found on the regular Speedbox?

Edit: Hmm it does just seem that it has Bluetooth, for some additional features:
  • Tuning control
  • Saving and viewing your trips
  • Hide Tuning function
  • Motor lock
  • Motor diagnostics

MsO

Dec 11, 2018
swindon
I got error 504 the other day it went away after 40 minutes cycling had an update to firmware 1.1.5 but there was no errors on the report does this mean I've had 1 strike and got 2 left or not? or is this 3 strikes then the motor is locked is just rubbish

MsO

Dec 11, 2018
swindon
Yes using speed box 3 even left it on the bike for the update and nothing was flagged up it makes you wonder if you were buying a second hand bike with Bosch Gen 4 it could already have 2 error codes on it with out you knowing I think this 3 error codes then the motor goes into lockdown is a load of rubbish I haven't heard anyone getting 3 and the motor gets locked

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Good info cheers. Re the 3 strikes, I thought that after the 3rd, you couldn't do the manual reset by riding X miles without assistance, but I must admit I can't think of a direct link I can post about it..

MsO

Dec 11, 2018
swindon
Even the one strike I had I'm sure that would have came up on the diagnostic report from the shop but drive unit showed no errors at all, I have used speed box 3 on my old trek for over 1300 miles no issues and on my cube stereo 160 for 1000 miles no issues but my Sam2 showed it up after 400 miles only thing different was I was in turbo mode when it happened normally I only use emtb mode

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
Mine triggered a 504 the other week, but oddly it was when i tried to engage walk mode. :rolleyes: ? In the 500+ miles since derestricing mine i've had no bothers.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles