• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Derestricted top speed: Speedbox vs Vlospeed vs Badassbox vs magnet

MadManPedal

Nov 13, 2020
philippines
Is there any difference of top speed between these derestriction method?

I simply changed the position of magnet and keep the motor running at a "lower" speed. The GPS shows I'm around 28mph. The bike shows sensor error but the pedal assistance keeps going without problem after 100 miles of ride. I lost the correct speed on bike sensor but get the pedal assistance at higher speed. But I want to go faster.

AFAIK these derestriction box only tunes the top speed limit, not the motor power. So in theory, if I installed any of the derestriction box, I will get the exact the same top speed, correct?

And I've seen some posts mentioning derestriction box adds additional lags to the pedal assistance, is this ture?

John208

Oct 1, 2019
Hampshire
I just bought a disc magnet, stuck it with silicone to the crank arm and turned the sensor been fine for the last year with no errors,cost about £3.You will not get more power by using any electronic boxes,all they do is remove the 16.5mph power assist cut out

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
I have recently discovered this one:

That also promises softer top speed assistance change, wheel circumference adjustments (I recently changed from 27.5 to 29 and the speed and distance is not correct) and other nice improvements.

microfiz

Dec 31, 2020
Alameda CA
I just bought a disc magnet, stuck it with silicone to the crank arm and turned the sensor been fine for the last year with no errors,cost about £3.You will not get more power by using any electronic boxes,all they do is remove the 16.5mph power assist cut out
What year is your bike? And no errors at all?

Chris_Barrable

Sep 14, 2021
Bristol
I've got a Badass Box which fools the Speedo reading but I've noticed that Iif I set to km/h and adjust the wheel circumference (2200mm for 27.5") it reads pretty accurate as MPH ! But with a speed restriction of 25mph!

Cory S

Aug 24, 2020
Bradford NH
I use the magnet method. Been up to 28.9mph on flat ground peddling my nuts off. No errors. 2021 Stance E+1 with SyncDrive Sport.

John208

Oct 1, 2019
Hampshire
I use the magnet method. Been up to 28.9mph on flat ground peddling my nuts off. No errors. 2021 Stance E+1 with SyncDrive Sport.
Yep the same for me,I need a bigger front sprocket to get any faster,Turning the sensor and using a magnet is still working fine even with updates and no error

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles