Dengfu E22 Frame Thread

bram.biesiekierski

Apr 18, 2022
Perth WA Australia
And yes, I want to paint the frame. I'm toying with the idea of getting it painted that satin or crystal white pearl colour that Subaru / Toyota use. Has that nice metallic shine in the sun light. I think that would look sweet.

Im also quite fond of world rally blue, but I don't think it would work well on the bike, unless I went with a bunch of yellow/gold components.

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 31, 2020
UK
tamiya-47372-subaru-impreza-wrx-2004-tt-01e-kit-1-10.jpg

Subaru!!! Now that's a blast from the past 😀

If you can pull off the colour scheme for your E22 build, you'd be a legend @bram.biesiekierski 👍🏿

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 31, 2020
UK
It would need ohlins shocks, xx1 drivetrain, and anodised gold everything else
Lol. Fair play. Truth be told, I'm assessing which coil shock to slap into the E22 just for testing. I'm familiar with the ohlins ttx coil as I have a couple of rigs which use this shock. But I may look elsewhere for fear that I'm missing out on what else is out there.

Mayners

Mar 18, 2022
Germany
Nice. Looks good.

How do you find it with the DHX2?
What strength spring is in there, and how heavy are you (if you don't mind me asking)
Unfortunately i was running the dhx 2 only one time because it need a service. The cane creek progressive is 510-600 and i am 90kg.
On my dh bike i ride a super deluxe coil with Race only progressive spring. Cant say much about feeling of the dhx 2 because i also not was on my setup...

Mayners

Mar 18, 2022
Germany
the weight for example of the batery and the total assembly. and 3000 W ? what you doing with that ? it is a bike or a motorcycle ?
Its my first E bike with bafang ultra so I not was knowing how much 3000w realy is 🙈 With throttle it feels rly like a trail motocycle 😅

bram.biesiekierski

Apr 18, 2022
Perth WA Australia
Quick question re mounting the rear shock on the e22.

I have test assembled the frame, but noticed that the only mounting hardware for the shock is the bolts. Does anyone know what's needed to make a standard 1/2" eyelet fit.

bram.biesiekierski

Apr 18, 2022
Perth WA Australia
Ok. So apparently the shock hardware doesn't come with the frame. :cautious: Melody said to try and source local, because its not worth sending because of the price of postage.

The frame mount needs a 32mm x 8mm x 1/2" hardware, and the linkage mount needs a 16.6mm x 8mm x 1/2" hardware. The 32mm piece isn't that hard to find, but the 16.6mm piece is a bit of an odd ball. I have found a 16mm x 8mm x 1/2" needle bearing, so I have ordered that to see if it will work.

Melody did send the drawings of the hardware they have. See attached.

If possible, I want to find a single steel piece to span the gap of the frame mount. Having the span filled by 2 individual pieces like the Dengfu design isn't very strong in my opinion. They only use an 8mm pin on the frame span, which is fastened with m6 threads. The amount of force that will be subjected to will cause bending force on the pin. A single steel sleeve to span the gap, would be alot stronger. Less likely to cause a bending of the pin IMO.

Attachments

• 避震器安装垫圈-B.pdf
    351.9 KB · Views: 216
  • 避震器安装垫圈-A.pdf
    349.8 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:

Mayners

Mar 18, 2022
Germany
Ok. So apparently the shock hardware doesn't come with the frame. :cautious: Melody said to try and source local, because its not worth sending because of the price of postage.

The frame mount needs a 32mm x 8mm x 1/2" hardware, and the linkage mount needs a 16.6mm x 8mm x 1/2" hardware. The 32mm piece isn't that hard to find, but the 16.6mm piece is a bit of an odd ball. I have found a 16mm x 8mm x 1/2" needle bearing, so I have ordered that to see if it will work.

Melody did send the drawings of the hardware they have. See attached.

If possible, I want to find a single steel piece to span the gap of the frame mount. Having the span filled by 2 individual pieces like the Dengfu design isn't very strong in my opinion. They only use an 8mm pin on the frame span, which is fastened with m6 threads. The amount of force that will be subjected to will cause bending force on the pin. A single steel sleeve to span the gap, would be alot stronger. Less likely to cause a bending of the pin IMO.
Dont know where are you from but I orderd mine from Huber Bushing.
Its perfekt.

bram.biesiekierski

Apr 18, 2022
Perth WA Australia

bram.biesiekierski

Apr 18, 2022
Perth WA Australia
I like that it has the metal sleeve the full length of the span like I was talking about above. Much stronger way of doing it compared to the 2 piece design from Dengfu.

Does anyone know if using 2 of those offset bushing will allow a 65mm stroke shock on the E22? Otherwise I will have to put the 5mm shim back into the shock to limit it down to 60mm. It's a PITA because the spring I have in there is tight to get in and out.

Last edited:

Offset

Bushings
Jun 18, 2020
UK
This will hopefully help you @bram.biesiekierski

It's the same bushings as the E10 so reach out to @Offset.

They do ship worldwide and they can provide you with the exact hardware requirements for your intended shock 👍🏿

Thank you sir! Yes, we've had a few customers with E22s order for their bikes. I'll make a specific product for it at some point - but you can just order that E10 one for now as it's the same. We sell the standard centre drilled bushings for them too.

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 31, 2020
UK
So I appreciate that my work commitments have somewhat delayed me in shooting further footage for the comparison video between the E22 and E10.

Nevertheless, I figured I'd take this opportunity to discuss 'some' of my findings so far which I'll touch up on in the video.

Handling & Maneuverability

20220519_233440.jpg

As I've mentioned before, I
do not subscribe to the notion that one is the successor or predecessor to the next. Moreso, they are two different bikes. Designed to do near enough the same thing. However the method as to how they execute it, differs.

20220519_233337.jpg

As such, both bikes (surprisingly) require the same amount of input when riding in mellow trails

20220519_234330.jpg

Oh more aggressive trails.

Whilst I appreciate that the E22 does weight more than the E10 ordinarily, the weight distribution in terms of battery and motor remain in the exact same location on either frame.

Only the motor orientation differs, subject to the mounting requirements.

Granted, that's not to say that they ride similarly.

The Maneuverability between the two is somewhat different (again surprisingly), considering the rear ends are the same.

The best way I can explain without using visual aids would be, the E22 is heavier but lower. Thus, this allows the rider to engage with the platform at speed. Without the fear/risk of losing control.
The E10 is lighter but higher. Thus, the rider has to engage with the platform to fully maximize its effectiveness to ensure traction.

Hopefully, the above has made some sense but I'll elaborate on this point (amongst other points) in more detail in the video.

Future proof

In all honesty, both platforms are as future proof as each other.

Remember, both are using metrics rear shock standards compared to imperial. Both use boost hub spacing. Both use headset cup diameters which are quite common. Both use 31.6 seatposts and most importantly, both will require maintenance throughout ownership (no different from any full suspension emtb).

There is talk that Bafang will stop developing the M620 motor. This is indeed false!!!

Moreso, future iterations of the M620 will use the CANBus protocol. But the dimensions of the motors remains the same. Naturally, the M500/M600/M510 are relatively new so I doubt Bafang will stop production anytime soon.

The point being, regardless of which Frameset you buy or which ebike you own, you need not worry about whether the bike will be rendered obsolete.

I've often referred bafang owner to GBK (Green Bike Kits) for bafang bits and pieces. But Holland Bikes also sell Bafang components as well.

Hell, even Tredz has some Bafang components on their website

So hopefully, the above has put some fears to rest.

Anywho, I'll wrap this post up here.

Take it easy everyone ✌🏿

Sixdays

Nov 22, 2020
MAN
Guys can anyone tell if you're still waiting on a battery shipment? I have all the bits here and still waiting 2 months now for battery to be shipped. Ordered directly from Dengfu.

Are there alternative battery options out there? Thanks

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Guys can anyone tell if you're still waiting on a battery shipment? I have all the bits here and still waiting 2 months now for battery to be shipped. Ordered directly from Dengfu.

That is unfortunate. Not sure of the reason in your case but their are many supply issues going on and the last month or so the main battery manufacturing area in China has been in lockdown.

After not being happy with the stock 840wh battery performance I enlisted help from DingTai battery and worked with them to build what I hoped would be a better one? I specifically wanted to have 2170 cells with a higher 40A at least BMS, stock were 18650/30A BMS. The constraints of the case are an issue however as the 2170 cells are slightly larger as well as the BMS. I also had heard that the M620 likes to run on 52v so I added that to my wish list. End result was a 52v 780wh battery that I feel outperforms the stock one I got.

My bike came from DengFu via Luna and who knows who made the battery but neither of those companies did for sure. One would think that Bafang made them perhaps but even that seems to be a stretch because their primary business is making motors and probably they farm out their battery manufacture also?

Anyway try contacting [email protected]. Unfortunately you will still be about a month out from getting the battery as that is how long it took for mine to come once we got the spec's hashed out. Or if you have the skills to build a battery or know someone that does just make a shrink wrap battery and stuff it in there like others have done as that might be faster depending on the former?

Good luck!

bram.biesiekierski

Apr 18, 2022
Perth WA Australia

Im in Australia. I ordered my frame, motor and battery from dengfu directly on 21st April 21. My frame arrived last week. (Approx 4 weeks) I am still waiting for the motor and battery. I do have tracking for 2 more packages from Dengfu. But I dont know which is motor and which is battery.

One package is already in Australia in a customs depot on the other side of the country. So that should hopefully arrive next week.

And the other package just says "shipment info recieved".

Im guessing it will be the motor first, then the battery.

What I suspect is happening is they are getting shipped from different locations. I reckon the frame comes from the dengfu warehouse, the motor from bafang warehouse, and the battery from who ever produces the battery. It is probably a hold up with the battery, either in components, or perhaps the warehouse is in an area where covid lockdowns are in force.

djol

Feb 28, 2022
Tasmania, Australia
Like @bram.biesiekierski I'm also in Australia. Ordered E10 from Dengfu at end of March, frame arrived a couple weeks ago, then wheelset last week. Still waiting on m510 and battery, though have a couple of in-country tracked packages that I'm hoping will be those last two.

Although I ordered a lighter, lower-capacity 2nd battery (48V 12Ah) from Hipack Battery Store on Aliexpress in early April and it arrived a couple weeks later! (NB: this is for the E10 / not sure if same battery fits E22 frame)

@bram.biesiekierski did Melody give you all the tracking numbers, or did you need to chase them up for it?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles