Dengfu E22 Frame Thread

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 31, 2020
UK
I can't remember where I saw it. But I know I've seen a custom battery used on a Dengfu E22 frame.

Can't remember what the spec of the battery was. But being as both a 48v & 52v already exist, it wouldn't surprise me if the battery was higher in voltage.

Although, it wouldn't be surprising to find that the dengfu E22 was using a reworked M620 motor with a custom controller.

BonBond

Jun 19, 2022
Sussex
I can't remember where I saw it. But I know I've seen a custom battery used on a Dengfu E22 frame.

Can't remember what the spec of the battery was. But being as both a 48v & 52v already exist, it wouldn't surprise me if the battery was higher in voltage.

Although, it wouldn't be surprising to find that the dengfu E22 was using a reworked M620 motor with a custom controller.
The cavity in the frame is somewhere in the region of 89mm wide, the standard case interior seems to be somewhere around 78.5mm. There is room for a snugger case with more cells for sure (or doing away with the case entirely I guess).

But without modifying the end caps, locking mechanism and battery connector, there is no way anybody is fitting more than 5 rows of 18650s in that cavity - the distance between the battery connector and lock just isn't going to fit any more. Wider and/or taller seems like simplest solution.

70 cells nearly fit in the standard case, perhaps with modified end caps and the BMS somewhere external, it could work. Maybe some of these fabled 52v batteries have less that 5 cells in parallel (but then what's the point really?).

Defo interested to see anybody's working 52v setup.

moarrr_cells.PNG

bram.biesiekierski

Apr 18, 2022
Perth WA Australia
yeah, but following that logic, you could have two bigger batteries.

View attachment 94568
Sure that would work. Aslong as they were quick and easy to change. You wouldn't want to have a custom battery built into the frame that was a pain in the arse to remove.

The stock battery casing might no be the biggest battery capacity, or the lightest unit per WH. But atleast it's super easy to swap on the go.

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 31, 2020
UK
The cavity in the frame is somewhere in the region of 89mm wide, the standard case interior seems to be somewhere around 78.5mm. There is room for a snugger case with more cells for sure (or doing away with the case entirely I guess).

But without modifying the end caps, locking mechanism and battery connector, there is no way anybody is fitting more than 5 rows of 18650s in that cavity - the distance between the battery connector and lock just isn't going to fit any more. Wider and/or taller seems like simplest solution.

70 cells nearly fit in the standard case, perhaps with modified end caps and the BMS somewhere external, it could work. Maybe some of these fabled 52v batteries have less that 5 cells in parallel (but then what's the point really?).

Defo interested to see anybody's working 52v setup.

View attachment 94572
As luck would have it, I have recently obtained a second locking mechanism to study in my spare time.

@Mabman and myself were discussing a while back different battery options, before we both sourced 52v batteries.

Mabman did explain earlier on in the thread, the different options available for the Dengfu ebike line and details of who to reach out too. However, we both recognise that some members may wish/choose to build batteries themselves.

I may revisit this topic, as I only cracked open my batteries to verify what cells were used. But I do agree with you BonBond, that using a larger capacity battery will mean changing the battery holder and lower 4 pin battery terminal.

I'll give this some thought over the weekend and share my thoughts as I've been meaning to evaluate possible ways to give more flexibility to dengfu emtb frame builders 👍🏿

Tomteam

Feb 18, 2022
Huelva. España
I am mounting my E22 and I have doubts about where to place the shift sensor.
I've thought about putting it inside the frame, where the shifter cable runs over the battery box.
Any ideas?

BonBond

Jun 19, 2022
Sussex
I am mounting my E22 and I have doubts about where to place the shift sensor.
I've thought about putting it inside the frame, where the shifter cable runs over the battery box.
Any ideas?
Pondering the same thing here, not decided yet - worth bearing in mind you can insert it anywhere along the cable and/or cut the housing and insert where you like, I put one right next to the shifters on a BBSHD build I did a while ago.

Tomteam

Feb 18, 2022
Huelva. España
Pondering the same thing here, not decided yet - worth bearing in mind you can insert it anywhere along the cable and/or cut the housing and insert where you like, I put one right next to the shifters on a BBSHD build I did a while ago.
Yeah, I know. I had one too.
In the case of the m620, the shift sensor cable is 50cm long and is connected to the motor.
That's why I ask if anyone has any good experience

BonBond

Jun 19, 2022
Sussex
Back aways in this thread I posted about the same possibility as it makes the most sense. However I couldn't get DengFu to recognize a need for it. If someone had a 3d printer I would imagine it to be totally possible but seems like it would be alot easier for others if they just made one?

This thread is fantastic, but its enormous now and getting pretty unwieldy.

So, in an attempt to make specific information more accessible, I've just sifted through the 24 pages here and started a new, battery specific, thread (with links to the start of each piece of battery chat in this thread):

DENGFU E22 BATTERY THREAD :
Apologies if I've missed anything, I've obviously credited you all in the links.

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 31, 2020
UK

So, in an attempt to make specific information more accessible, I've just sifted through the 24 pages here and started a new, battery specific, thread (with links to the start of each piece of battery chat in this thread):

Apologies if I've missed anything, I've obviously credited you all in the links.
Now why didn't I think of that😄
Good job @BonBond 👍🏿

El Topo

Jul 23, 2022
Germany, Bavaria

Thank you great work, I should do the same for the E23.
Shouldn't this thread be in the DIY Bike forum though?

BonBond

Jun 19, 2022
Sussex
They are the Meroco 4pot brakes (mineral oil). The calipers are similar to the Tektro Orions or Clark M4s.
The levers are similar to Shimano Deore (so they can use I-spec).
I did have to buy a longer brake hose for my Large frame and re-bleed the brakes. But I swapped out the stock resin pads and went with sintered for consistency.
The rotors are Shimano 205mm. With the Shimano 205mm brake adapter.
Overall, they're not bad for the price.
Hey @Neeko DeVinchi I got these brakes in the end, bargain. I just went to fit them and the hoses are waaaaaaaay to short for my medium frame.

I started by looking at chain reactions brake hose kits, but not sure which standard I need. Do you recall which it was, or can anybody else point me in the right direction?

brakelines.jpeg

CaptainBobt

Jun 23, 2022
Usa
Hey @Neeko DeVinchi I got these brakes in the end, bargain. I just went to fit them and the hoses are waaaaaaaay to short for my medium frame.

I started by looking at chain reactions brake hose kits, but not sure which standard I need. Do you recall which it was, or can anybody else point me in the right direction?

View attachment 94790
I have these brakes and use standard shimano barbs and olives work fine..

bram.biesiekierski

Apr 18, 2022
Perth WA Australia
A few little mods.

E13 chain guide and some old mudguards. The chainguide works brilliantly. Haven't dropped a chain since I fitted it. The mudguards not so such. I'm sure they do something, but you still end up coated it mud.

If you look closely through the chainring, you can see some damage caused by dropped chains.

20220814_104453.jpg

20220814_104657.jpg

20220814_104705.jpg

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Never understood the postage stamp fender craze. Where I live you either have fenders on in the wetter months, and the fuller the better, or take them off when the weather is nice. Just the way it goes.

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 31, 2020
UK

View attachment 94790
Apologies for the delay @BonBond.
It looks like @CaptainBobt answered the question.
Shimano olives, work fine with the Meroco 4pot brakes.
Quite recently, I swapped the levers on my E22 with Shimano levers and noticed that the power had tremendously increased.
So I am a fan of the calipers, as the running cost to keep them going isn't expensive 👍🏿

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 31, 2020
UK
A few little mods.

E13 chain guide and some old mudguards. The chainguide works brilliantly. Haven't dropped a chain since I fitted it. The mudguards not so such. I'm sure they do something, but you still end up coated it mud.

If you look closely through the chainring, you can see some damage caused by dropped chains.

View attachment 94814

View attachment 94815

View attachment 94816
Nice👍🏿
Keep us posted on your chain guide solution @bram.biesiekierski.

If you're satisfied that it performs without issue, spread the word on how others can make their own. Or, start mass production and make a little bit of money on the side (I'd buy one off you👍🏿).

CaptainBobt

Jun 23, 2022
Usa
A few little mods.

View attachment 94814

View attachment 94815

View attachment 94816
I'm assuming you drilled and tapped to mount the chain guard what size..?

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 31, 2020
UK
So, I've been messing around with the Eggrider v2 display on my E22
20220805_135553.jpg

20220805_135744.jpg

20220805_135613.jpg

20220805_135637.jpg

At first, I thought some of the functions the display/app offered, would be overkill for EMTB. But I am truly impressed with the ability to examine rider data after each ride. Not to mention, it is the smallest display for Bafang ebikes. And the ability to export this data and upload it to third party services like Strava, is not lost on me 😄.
Huge shout out to Eggrider for the hook up. At present, they are out of stock but I'll do my utmost to keep you all posted on stock availability.
A full video and written review coming soon 👍🏿

bram.biesiekierski

Apr 18, 2022
Perth WA Australia
I'm assuming you drilled and tapped to mount the chain guard what size..?
Yeah, glued and screwed. I just used a single m4 screw. I figured the smaller the hole the better. I used a countersunk head screw as it can sit flush and not foul the chain. And I put it right through the middle of the e13 adjuster screw hole. I crudely drilled the adjuster to give it the countersunk recess. And put the 2 or 3 washers behind to give the correct chainline. The glue I used was a very tacky sealant adhesive I had laying around. It sets to a very rubbery finish. It's very strong. But not so strong that it can't be removed.

Only 1 ride in, but so far so good.

bram.biesiekierski

Apr 18, 2022
Perth WA Australia
Nice👍🏿
Keep us posted on your chain guide solution @bram.biesiekierski.

If you're satisfied that it performs without issue, spread the word on how others can make their own. Or, start mass production and make a little bit of money on the side (I'd buy one off you👍🏿).
There would be no money in it for me. All I did was take an existing product, and attach it to my bike haha. But yeah I'll keep everyone up to date with how it works out.

CaptainBobt

Jun 23, 2022
Usa
I would like the ability to adjust the throttle characteristics. Or somehow link it to PAS level or something. The throttle is very on/off. It does have some proportional variability to it, with how you press it. But it's not very much. Its more like an on/off switch. And it's full output no matter which PAS level is selected.
Dont know if this will help your need. But I purchased a cheap bafang twist throttle for my bbhd fat bike just for the same reason the thumb throttle being on/ off . I do alot of riding with that bike in crowded urban areas with alot of pedestrians and needed the variable throttle for safety. The twist throttle enables much more finess with power delivery. Not perfect but hands down better than the thumb. It was like 20 bucks US on Amazon.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles