Dengfu E22 Frame Thread

BonBond

Jun 19, 2022
Sussex
Confirmed (for my own sanity!), that there's no way of getting 70 18650 cells in the standard battery case. I'll buzz the battery builder tomorrow.

65cells.PNG

Cigales

May 19, 2022
France
Hi,
I was told by Mia (dengfu employe, Melody's replacement) that they have round and squared charging holes on the frame. I've never noticed any squared ones on any of you're pictures.
Has anyone seen that before?

Also do they supply the rear suspension screws/bolts?

It's killing me to wait this long, they still haven't shipped my frame yet :(

bram.biesiekierski

Apr 18, 2022
Perth WA Australia
Hi,
I was told by Mia (dengfu employe, Melody's replacement) that they have round and squared charging holes on the frame. I've never noticed any squared ones on any of you're pictures.
Has anyone seen that before?

Also do they supply the rear suspension screws/bolts?

It's killing me to wait this long, they still haven't shipped my frame yet :(
They supply the bolts for the rear suspension, but not the spacer hardware needed to fit the shock. I think you need to ask for the shock mounting hardware when you order the bike.

Although the design of the dengfu shock hardware is not that great. It's a 2 piece design spacer, with a split right in the middle of each mounting point. Which puts all the bending load on the bolts directly. I think its much better if you can find hardware with a 1-piece sleeve the full length. (Prefferably made of hard steel) That is a much stronger system, and reduces the bending force on the bolts.

As for the charger port. On mine, there is a small square cut out in the side of the bike, just above the motor. It is recessed and takes the charger port, mounting in with 4 small screws. The socket itself looks like a pretty standard circular co-ax charging socket.

20220811_174742.jpg

bram.biesiekierski

Apr 18, 2022
Perth WA Australia
Just looking at your bike. Looks great.

I noticed you don't have any chain protection on the chainstay. You will def need to do something there, otherwise the chain will shred the chainstay.

On my bike, on my first ride I had nothing there, and the chain slap tore up the fresh paint. I then put makeshift protection made of automptive electrical split convoluted tube on as a temp fix.

I have since removed the makeshift protection and wrapped the chain stay with some self amalgamating tape which seams to do a good job, and is much neater.

You need to do pretty much the entire chain stay, especially up near the main pivot where it has that dog-leg bend as that area really cops it. Also won't hurt to do the mid section of the seat stay, as that also cops a small bit of slap when your riding chunky stuff. I didn't worry about the seat stay, as it's on the lower side where you can't really see.

Cigales

May 19, 2022
France
They supply the bolts for the rear suspension, but not the spacer hardware needed to fit the shock. I think you need to ask for the shock mounting hardware when you order the bike.

Although the design of the dengfu shock hardware is not that great. It's a 2 piece design spacer, with a split right in the middle of each mounting point. Which puts all the bending load on the bolts directly. I think its much better if you can find hardware with a 1-piece sleeve the full length. (Prefferably made of hard steel) That is a much stronger system, and reduces the bending force on the bolts.

As for the charger port. On mine, there is a small square cut out in the side of the bike, just above the motor. It is recessed and takes the charger port, mounting in with 4 small screws. The socket itself looks like a pretty standard circular co-ax charging socket.

Thanks for the info. I was never offered any of these accessories when ordering the frame, apart from the headset & thruaxle. It's the kinda things you would expect to be supplied or at least offered.
I'll look into what you mean about the bushings & spacer. Someone here talked about the site offsetbushings.com. I'm going to contact them at some point and ask them if they have the right bushings. What do you think of this design:

1660215839582.png

The square charging port looks alright. I ended up choosing the round one because they have that frame in stock at the time and could ship earlier.

Last edited:

bram.biesiekierski

Apr 18, 2022
Perth WA Australia
Thanks for the info. I was never offered any of these accessories when ordering the frame, apart from the headset & thruaxle. It's the kinda things you would expect to be supplied or at least offered.
Agree. I was kinda surprised when my frame arrived and it wasn't there. I contacted Melody and they have tech drawings (and presumably stock of) the shock hardware, yet there was no mention that you might need it when ordering.

Kyokushin

Mar 28, 2021
Sol
I'll look into what you mean about the bushings & spacer. Someone here talked about the site offsetbushings.com. I'm going to contact them at some point and ask them if they have the right bushings. What do you think of this design:

View attachment 94496

The square charging port looks alright. I ended up choosing the round one because they have that frame in stock at the time and could ship earlier.
I am using offset bushes from this store in my bike, they works perfectly.

bram.biesiekierski

Apr 18, 2022
Perth WA Australia

View attachment 94496

Thats what I ended up going with. Took a little while to arrive in Australia. But they did the job perfect so far.

I actually use an offset bush in the yoke, and a regular bush in the frame side.

The offset bush in the yoke end is oriented so that extends the effective shock eye to eye length by a couple of MM. This allows me to run a 230x65 shock in the frame, which slightly over strokes it.

Because the offset bush is orientated to increase the effective eye to eye distance. I have drilled the yoke and bush, and pinned it so that it cannot rotate and cause frame fouling.

I actually bought both ends of the shock as offset. But you only need to use 1 offset bush in order to run a 230x65 shock.

Cigales

May 19, 2022
France
As of now, they haven't shipped the frame so I asked them yesterday if they could supply me with at least the screw/bolt. Hopefully they will.
As for the rear shock, I got myself a Rockshox Delux Ultimate RCT 230x60 DebondAir2 so to not go the bushing offset way and the pinning of the bush.

I guess all I need now is the bushing extractor/installer.

CaptainBobt

Jun 23, 2022
Usa
Just looking at your bike. Looks great.

I noticed you don't have any chain protection on the chainstay. You will def need to do something there, otherwise the chain will shred the chainstay.

On my bike, on my first ride I had nothing there, and the chain slap tore up the fresh paint. I then put makeshift protection made of automptive electrical split convoluted tube on as a temp fix.

I have since removed the makeshift protection and wrapped the chain stay with some self amalgamating tape which seams to do a good job, and is much neater.

You need to do pretty much the entire chain stay, especially up near the main pivot where it has that dog-leg bend as that area really cops it. Also won't hurt to do the mid section of the seat stay, as that also cops a small bit of slap when your riding chunky stuff. I didn't worry about the seat stay, as it's on the lower side where you can't really see.
Thanks for the heads up, I was actually thinking about chain slap that last night looking at the chainline.. from just looking it seems very susceptible at the pivot point as you said. Do you use the christini chainring adapter .. ? And what size chainring do you have. I started with a 32t wich after mounting was ridiculous, so I went with a 40t and also mounted the chainring on the outside of the christini. This improved the clearance and chain line greatly. I was thinking adhesive vinyl for protection..but maybe needs something more substantial

CaptainBobt

Jun 23, 2022
Usa
Thanks for the heads up, I was actually thinking about chain slap that last night looking at the chainline.. from just looking it seems very susceptible at the pivot point as you said. Do you use the christini chainring adapter .. ? And what size chainring do you have. I started with a 32t wich after mounting was ridiculous, so I went with a 40t and also mounted the chainring on the outside of the christini. This improved the clearance and chain line greatly. I was thinking adhesive vinyl for protection..but maybe needs something more substantial

16602217125378154981782963659885.jpg

16602217472067591136984111576824.jpg

bram.biesiekierski

Apr 18, 2022
Perth WA Australia
I started off with a 36t. But I destroyed the cassette in less than 50kms because the smaller chainring multiplies the motor force into cassette too much, and it just wore the teeth out and rolled them over on the tops.

Then I put the original bafang 44t chainring on with a new 9spd group and it's so much better now. It looks huge when your used to small manual MTB 1x chainrings. But it is actually a really good match when you have the powerful bafang ultra powering it. It's like it was actually designed for it... haha

I am now considering getting an even larger chainring, maybe around 50t. And testing that out. That way I can use more of the lower gears on the cassette. More chain/teeth contact should mean a more reliable drivetrain.

CaptainBobt

Jun 23, 2022
Usa
I started off with a 36t. But I destroyed the cassette in less than 50kms because the smaller chainring multiplies the motor force into cassette too much, and it just wore the teeth out and rolled them over on the tops.

Then I put the original bafang 44t chainring on with a new 9spd group and it's so much better now. It looks huge when your used to small manual MTB 1x chainrings. But it is actually a really good match when you have the powerful bafang ultra powering it. It's like it was actually designed for it... haha

I am now considering getting an even larger chainring, maybe around 50t. And testing that out. That way I can use more of the lower gears on the cassette. More chain/teeth contact should mean a more reliable drivetrain.
Absolutely when I put that 32t on there immediately new It would break shit.. lol cassetes, chainstays and possibly chains plus more likely to drop off and get fouled up in something. I had the chainring mounted on the inside of the the adapter at first and when setting the mech the chain was falling off and the chainline was why outboard in higher gears moving the chainring to the outboard of the adapter seems to be a nice alignment as well as giving more clearance of the pivot point on the lower swing

BonBond

Jun 19, 2022
Sussex
As of now, they haven't shipped the frame so I asked them yesterday if they could supply me with at least the screw/bolt. Hopefully they will.
As for the rear shock, I got myself a Rockshox Delux Ultimate RCT 230x60 DebondAir2 so to not go the bushing offset way and the pinning of the bush.

I guess all I need now is the bushing extractor/installer.
Pretty sure the frame will come with the bolts, mine did. You defo need to ask for the bushings though (or get them yourself elsewhere as suggested above). Melody threw them in for $8 iirr, also might be worth picking up a spare mech hanger while you're there.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Confirmed (for my own sanity!), that there's no way of getting 70 18650 cells in the standard battery case. I'll buzz the battery builder tomorrow.

View attachment 94473
Guys you can’t simply add extra batteries to fill a void. They have to be in multiples of for example for 48 volt systems, 13. So you get 13S3P = 39. 13S5P = 65. Adding 5 extra batteries to make 70 will simply add weight.

Cigales

May 19, 2022
France
Pretty sure the frame will come with the bolts, mine did. You defo need to ask for the bushings though (or get them yourself elsewhere as suggested above). Melody threw them in for $8 iirr, also might be worth picking up a spare mech hanger while you're there.

It turns out they have already handed the parcel over to the transporter, so I won't be getting the bolts or bushings. But they say I can order them if necessary. But they did offer me a spare hanger as commerciale gesture for the delay in treating my order.

BonBond

Jun 19, 2022
Sussex
Guys you can’t simply add extra batteries to fill a void. They have to be in multiples of for example for 48 volt systems, 13. So you get 13S3P = 39. 13S5P = 65. Adding 5 extra batteries to make 70 will simply add weight.
That's not the suggestion. I was looking to make a 14S5P battery, that requires 70 cells, 52v.

Cigales

May 19, 2022
France
Why not modify the battery cover in order to make a bigger battery case? It may not need to be as big as I drew here, but just enough to get the right amount of cells.

1660247118004.png

Cigales

May 19, 2022
France
For those interested, Mia from Dengfu shared with me the frame's torque specs.

Attachments

• Dengfu E22 E23 Frame Torque Specifications.pdf
    108.1 KB · Views: 235

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
Curious,
20220811_210824.jpg

My frame came with the torque specs written on the bolts & hardware.
20220210_120720.jpg

20220210_120702.jpg

I wonder if they've changed the bolts and hardware?

BonBond

Jun 19, 2022
Sussex
Well, after approaching a billion hours in Photoshop, and arriving at my perfect paint-job, I've decided to not paint the frame now and live with it being matte black for a while (I'll paint it in the winter when the weather is crap, another project for another day....).

Dengfu Glossy.jpeg

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Why not modify the battery cover in order to make a bigger battery case? It may not need to be as big as I drew here, but just enough to get the right amount of cells.

Back aways in this thread I posted about the same possibility as it makes the most sense. However I couldn't get DengFu to recognize a need for it. If someone had a 3d printer I would imagine it to be totally possible but seems like it would be alot easier for others if they just made one?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles