Dengfu E22 Frame Thread

CaptainBobt

Jun 23, 2022
Usa
So wheels came today ..😁 I'm sure it's been posted but anyone wanna share the rear rotor size on the frame without space adapters...? .much appreciated..

20220628_153522.jpg

20220628_153506.jpg

bram.biesiekierski

Apr 18, 2022
Perth WA Australia
I9s nice.

I have a set of hydra enduros on my other bike. Initially I was constantly breaking spokes. Turns out they had a bad batch of spokes when they built my wheels up. They were still under warranty, but it was very expensive to send them from Aus back to i9 and then back to me in Aus. So they sent me a full set of replacement spokes. Which I laced up and trued my self. And a billet stem for my trouble.

CaptainBobt

Jun 23, 2022
Usa
I9s nice.

I have a set of hydra enduros on my other bike. Initially I was constantly breaking spokes. Turns out they had a bad batch of spokes when they built my wheels up. They were still under warranty, but it was very expensive to send them from Aus back to i9 and then back to me in Aus. So they sent me a full set of replacement spokes. Which I laced up and trued my self. And a billet stem for my trouble.
Thanks, honestly I was very lucky to find these I've been looking for decent reasonably priced wheels with XD drive. For awhile.
Very hard to come by this time of year without a 2 month backorder .. in the US at least. These guys as you know are in North Carolina. Wich made it easier to get. Got this today as well

1656459235809319262137327832307.jpg

CaptainBobt

Jun 23, 2022
Usa
Thanks, honestly I was very lucky to find these I've been looking for decent reasonably priced wheels with XD drive. For awhile.
Very hard to come by this time of year without a 2 month backorder .. in the US at least. These guys as you know are in North Carolina. Wich made it easier to get. Got this today as well

View attachment 91177
32t I think it going to be a bit much .popping wheelies should be fun however.. lol

bram.biesiekierski

Apr 18, 2022
Perth WA Australia
I'm really on the fence here, pretty unsure whether to go Medium or Large. Obviously I'll be kicking myself if I buy the wrong size frame.

I think I'm between sizes generally. My old Scott 29er was Large and feels ever so slightly too big, the BMC 27.5 I have my BBSHD on is Medium and feels a touch too small. I rode my mates Giant Fathom E+ 2 last night, and my knees seemed oddly close to the bars....it felt small.

Need to find that Goldilocks zone :)

Anybody else have any input?
What did you decide?

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
20220625_174503.jpg

Managed to sneak in a quick sess with the 29er setup this evening.
Gods honest truth, I left it in level 1 and it did everything (baring in mind my M620 is only running at 20amps maximum current with the 32t chainring).
Truly, this bike has gained the mechanical advantage whilst ensuring range and battery consumption 👍🏿

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
Oh yeah, someone pm'd me asking what the tyre clearance was like on the E22 when ran with a 29er rear wheel.
Well!!
20220629_213006.jpg
20220629_212934.jpg
20220629_213109.jpg

With a 2.4 Schwalbe Hans Damf on a WTB STI30, you guys be the judge ✌🏿

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
how fast will it go at 30a i know it nukes the batts tho
Within the initial week of testing my E22 with the M620 in its default settings (and with 27.5x2.8 Michelin E Wild's and a 38t chainring), it was easily achieving speeds of 35mph.
Being honest with you Shockwave, I never fully tested the top speed of the E22 as I never intended for this bike to be used in that manner. But it wouldn't surprise me if the E22 could achieve higher speeds if given the opportunity and in the right environment and conditions 👍🏿

bram.biesiekierski

Apr 18, 2022
Perth WA Australia
I have done a quick top speed check with mine, and it can do about 50km/h, without pedalling, confirmed with STRAVA and on board speedo. On asphalt road surface.

36t chainring
9t top gear on cassete
Rear tyre 27.5" x 2.6" maxxis assegai at 35-40psi
Front tyre 29" x 2.4" maxxis dissector at 35-40psi

rivets

May 26, 2021
USA
Cable management - there's significant slack in the cockpit from the extra cable length running from the motor to the front end. Is the only "clean" solution to snip and re-solder?

bram.biesiekierski

Apr 18, 2022
Perth WA Australia
Cable management - there's significant slack in the cockpit from the extra cable length running from the motor to the front end. Is the only "clean" solution to snip and re-solder?
I just hid all my wires/connectors inside the the frame.

Then I tidied them up at the bars with some spiral wrap

Only cable I'm not happy with is the one that goes between the buttons and the display.

20220626_121602.jpg

CaptainBobt

Jun 23, 2022
Usa

thelostjs

Jul 1, 2022
tn usa
first post. I got a luna z1 back at new years. its been so great. I'm ready to take the plunge on some mods and maybe even a new build. would anyone care to give an update on the performance effect of the 52v battery? I've got ding tai battery waiting to hear back from me on a potential order?

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
first post. I got a luna z1 back at new years. its been so great. I'm ready to take the plunge on some mods and maybe even a new build. would anyone care to give an update on the performance effect of the 52v battery? I've got ding tai battery waiting to hear back from me on a potential order?

If you have seen my previous post about this I still feel that the 21700 cell 52v DT battery is a marked improvement over the stock Luna battery.

thelostjs

Jul 1, 2022
tn usa
I read every single post in this thread. Its really making me want to try building another E22!
I ordered a pair of 52v 15ah batteries and chargers from your contact at ding tai battery, he was sure to thank you for the referral. I'm extremely interested to share experiences. I'll report back once they arrive here in usa.

bram.biesiekierski

Apr 18, 2022
Perth WA Australia
What do you guys think of these from ebay? Better than factory or any close to christini?
View attachment 91407
I tried buying one of those off of aliexpress.

The seller marked as posted. Then he contact me to say he has no stock. And can't get anymore. I ask for refund. But because he already said it was posted, it wasn't easy. I lodge complaint with Aliexpress, but they won't act because, aparently seller had already posted it. And I had to wait up to 60 days for it to arrive. So I contacted my bank and requested a credit card charge back.

thelostjs

Jul 1, 2022
tn usa
maybe its against the rules to post links. I have looked often to find the cheaper alternative anywhere but aliexpress. with some image search and keyword jingling I found this seller (jianhuwan4 ) listing on ebay (E-bike Chainring Chain Wheel For BAFANG M500 M600 M620 Motor 32/34/36/38/40T)
Is this the product?

bram.biesiekierski

Apr 18, 2022
Perth WA Australia
maybe its against the rules to post links. I have looked often to find the cheaper alternative anywhere but aliexpress. with some image search and keyword jingling I found this seller (jianhuwan4 ) listing on ebay (E-bike Chainring Chain Wheel For BAFANG M500 M600 M620 Motor 32/34/36/38/40T)
Is this the product?
It says compatibility with m500 m600 m620. That is a red flag. Im pretty sure m500 and m600 are different to m620 with regards to chain ring mounting

bram.biesiekierski

Apr 18, 2022
Perth WA Australia
Had another ride today, this time out in the hills. Went to one of my favourite local trail networks. Total blast. So good to get back out there again. I hadn't ridden this spot since I was hospitalised last year.

The bike keeps on impressing with its performance. Although I did have a couple of mechanical issues which gave me some trouble.

Firstly, the B screw on my Sram GX eagle rear derailer somehow wound itself out. And was causing all kinds of shifting and gear skipping dramas. Took me a little while to figure out what was happening and fix it.

Then the rear thru axle loosened. Again causing havoc with shifting and skipping and I didn't pick up on this until after the ride, because I assumed I was still having rear mech problems. Although by that stage the battery was at about 20-30% and I could feel the motor reducing output.

I slapped on an ad-hoc chain stay protector before the ride and this worked well and actually turned out half decent. But I will re-visit this later aswell.

The ride was out at Kalamunda trails, the particular trails (ferral grove / scorpion etc) are nice fast single track downhills, coupled with tight switchback climb trails through the west australian forrest. Not too extreme on the downs, probably blue level. Alot of super fun large high speed wooden burns. A few basic jumps. A bit of rock and root chunder to negotiate. Log drops, that type of stuff. The ground is mostly that round orange gravel/rock we get here, and also a bit soil/clay in the wooded sections from the decomposing fallen leaves and tress.

The bike flys through the high speed sections. And it handles so well. Never struggled for steering grip. And it inspired lots of confidence. Plus the motor boost was keeping me up at good speeds through the sections.

I managed to bottom out on the jumps once or twice. And this caused a large creaking/crack type noise on impact. Because of the modded shock/bushings, was worried the seat stay bridge might have hit the seat tube. But no witness marks there. I think it probs needs all the bolts/screws checked and retorqued now. After the initial shakedown, these things can shake loose as everything settles. (Eg the rear thru axle)

On the tighter switchbacks/climbs though I kinda struggled. The long seat stays and overall size of the bike make manoeuvring through this more tricky than im used to. Plus the added boot from the motor during peddling is an extra thing to handle.

But the power getting up the hills is something else. Climbing I found myself in level 2 or 3 out of 5 most of the day. But then would use the throttle as a little turbo button for straight sections where level 2 or just doesn't have enough boot to put a smile on your face. (Once you get used to the power, you kind of crave it more and more haha)

Other riders were blown away with the performance of the bike on the climbs. I would blast past them on the climbs and have chats and stuff at the trail heads. Alot of people were quite curious about the setup.

Im thinking it might not be a bad idea to buy a second battery. I tend to be a bit of a rev head now that I have the motor. And that does chew the battery. For now it's ok, as I'm fatiguing myself on a single charge. But as I recover, and my body strength (arms, legs chest etc) and my overall bike fitness returns, then I would like to push further/longer rides. Having a second battery would allow me to easily swap it out and double my riding time, without sacrifice my power hungry riding style.

I did also smash my foot pretty hard into a blackboy/grass tree stump. Due to the motor, the pedals are slightly wider than a standard bike. And while it's not much, and you don't really feel it. It is enough to catch you out. What I smashed my leg into, I'm sure I would have missed on my old bike. I think my muscle memory and riding stance expected my foot to clear the stump, but the added bafang width caught me out. So my foot got smashed pretty hard into the stump.

20220703_132733.jpg

Last edited:

thelostjs

Jul 1, 2022
tn usa
nice ride! whats is your chainring size and largest cassette gear? whats that work out to on the rev limit?
I still run the stock 40-42t with 50 rear and I get around 8.5-9mph. I'd like a little more torque for the steepest bits, but no one I ride with can keep up with this platform anyways :(

you could use some old innertube for your chainstay for a slightly sleeker look

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles