Dengfu E10 - The CHEEB V1.0 - Discussion

captainhightop

Feb 26, 2021
UK
So could you replace it with the specialized controller? If so whats to know about how to?
Not a chance unless you can reprogramme the specialized firmware on their controller, canbus is a fieldbus protocol so that kind of matches, but the chance that it uses the exact same messages are pretty low I'd say. It's a bit like saying 2 petrol engines from different manufacturers would work in totally different vehicles.

Canbus isn't a massively complex protocol, so using a small microcontroller (ESP32/8266 etc) to implement a custom controller may be possible though and certainly something I'd consider in the future. Some of the work has already been done by guys on endless sphere who've hacked a server for the besst tool.

Afifz

Feb 18, 2021
Turin, Italy
Melody is asking me for my tax number so they can send the motor, any ideas what she's on about?

Its for the customs. She just needs a personal tax identifier to probably use in the custom declaration forms. Here in Italy this is called a personal Fiscal Code or Codice Fiscale. If the tax is "pre paid" as she says, then there needs to be an identifier that they are paying tax on behald of you. I am not sure what's the UK equivelent, maybe your National Insurance number or the tax number you are registered with the inland revenue etc...? Maybe those in the UK that have received their frames can share their experience.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Melody is asking me for my tax number so they can send the motor, any ideas what she's on about?
As @Afifz says. I think in the UK it's called the "TIN" Tax identification number. Or The unique taxpayer reference (UTR). If you don't have those then your national insurance number can also be used as an individual tax identifier.

Sheff73

Feb 13, 2021
UK
Could someone please let me know the minimum fork steerer length that can be fitted to a large sized frame? I've found a used fork but the steerer length is only 180mm long. I think it will be ok but......
Thanks.

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
This will be very tight. @135 mm Steering Tube length in size XL, You only have 45 mm left as stack height for the headset, stem and spacers. Depending on the stem You use, this may be too short or no space left for any spacers, so no option to adjust stem height.

Sheff73

Feb 13, 2021
UK
Just noticed that the frame is no longer showing on the Dengfu website?
I tried contacting Melody a few days ago to order one but no reply so far....
Wonder if they have stopped taking any new orders as the wait time now is very long?

Sunburntwily

Jan 28, 2021
Australia
Wonder if they have stopped taking any new orders as the wait time now is very long?
How did you look for it. I just googled "dengfu e10 frame" and it came up no problem. So try that. I have not had much luck finding it on the dengfu search page but always showed up as above.

Sheff73

Feb 13, 2021
UK
How did you look for it. I just googled "dengfu e10 frame" and it came up no problem. So try that. I have not had much luck finding it on the dengfu search page but always showed up as above.
Just going directly to the site yields no results but like you have said, doing a "Dengfu e10" search shows it.

jtran69

Jan 9, 2021
CA
I'm not sure if this paint color is right for this thread. By default frame is matted black, does it have the same protection if painted with other colors? If not is it worth paying more and wait longer? thanks in advance for your expert knowledge!

Sunburntwily

Jan 28, 2021
Australia
I'm not sure if this paint color is right for this thread. By default frame is matted black, does it have the same protection if painted with other colors? If not is it worth paying more and wait longer? thanks in advance for your expert knowledge!
The default finish is just the colour of the carbon fibre. Rob said early in the thread he could see the fibre weave in some places, so on that note I ordered the frame painted matte black.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
According to the info on the Dengfu website the frame is „UD Matt / Clear coating“.
UD Matt is just carbonfibre bare with no top layer as per Robs frame before he painted it.

Clear Coating is the carbonfibre coated with an acrylic lacquer ( much like a modern car top coat ), it does look pretty cool and yet discrete and gives some protection to the carbon fibre although it does show light scratches, but hey if you use it and abuse it, you're goner get scratches.

jtran69

Jan 9, 2021
CA
Thank you gents! Learning from you guys are always the best.
I got a quote for painting with about a week delay: $85 for 1 color, $170 for 2 colors, $160 for shifting color. Anyone else having similar cost? I'd love to see it if some brave one did it with spray bottle paint :)

Last edited:

RyeNiel

Jan 4, 2021
Philippines
melody told me before that they are still selling e10 but one of their dealer ask them to not put it on their website

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
Hello,
I have a problem with the hood Help me please View attachment 57542
pity that "bebert" do not said more. On mine i have different assembly ? It will be interesting if it explain us how past warranties.
DSCF1561.JPG

Mar

Apr 10, 2021
Croatia
Hello everyone, big thanks to Rob for bringing the attention to this bike. Your videos about it are great!
Now, I'm interested in getting one myself. I've been in contact with Melody and and the price for the battery has gone up for a bit, she quoted me 2480$ including shipping and prepaid taxes for E10, M600 and 16AH battery with all bits and pieces.

What struck me as odd is that Melody told me they are not able ship to Croatia, despite the fact we are within the EU, so I have to get some friends from neighbouring Slovenia to forward the parcel for me.

Unfortunately they can't tell me when they will be able to get 17.5ah battery.

This will be my first e-bike and I reckon I can get it assembled for under 3000 euros since I already have stuff like wheels, cockpit, dropper and few other things.

I already have Giant Trance 29er sitting at 140/120mm travel and was planning on trying longer travel ebike with 160mm Lyrik but still keep it around 20kg with carbon wheels and other components.

I gueess 16ah battery and m500 motor would help to keep the weight down but I'd like the added power and range for m600+17.5ah combo. What are your thoughts and experiences with these?

Thanks.

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
Hello everyone, big thanks to Rob for bringing the attention to this bike. Your videos about it are great!
Now, I'm interested in getting one myself. I've been in contact with Melody and and the price for the battery has gone up for a bit, she quoted me 2480$ including shipping and prepaid taxes for E10, M600 and 16AH battery with all bits and pieces.

What struck me as odd is that Melody told me they are not able ship to Croatia, despite the fact we are within the EU, so I have to get some friends from neighbouring Slovenia to forward the parcel for me.

Unfortunately they can't tell me when they will be able to get 17.5ah battery.

This will be my first e-bike and I reckon I can get it assembled for under 3000 euros since I already have stuff like wheels, cockpit, dropper and few other things.

I already have Giant Trance 29er sitting at 140/120mm travel and was planning on trying longer travel ebike with 160mm Lyrik but still keep it around 20kg with carbon wheels and other components.

I gueess 16ah battery and m500 motor would help to keep the weight down but I'd like the added power and range for m600+17.5ah combo. What are your thoughts and experiences with these?

Thanks.

About the weight.

Goal of 20 Kg will be a big challenge, hard and expansive to reach for the only interest the "show off". For me it is not important ( in regard of my weight 100 kg). i do not feel differncies in use between an ebike of 21 kg and 25 kg. But i feel a great differncies with the lightened components (low capacity battery, carbon rims, low diamete forks, light tires, etc) who reduce bike effiencies and reliability. One of the interest of ebike, is that you can use strong (and heavy) component to have a better bike to downhill whitout negative physical impact,. To uphill, the motor compensate the increased weight. If you see necessity to have 160 travel, i suppose you will use it in hard track with jumps and fast down speed on stone gardens Do not make mistake to use brittle light parts.

About reduce power of battery to reduce weight. the worst thing that can happen with an E-bike, is to have empty battery and needs to uphill. It is a gret pleasure to riding whitout any worry of power remaning.

note: carbon wheel is not necessary brittle, but they are more rigid and less confortable than alloy,.*

Last edited:

Roy68

Mar 4, 2021
UK Herts
I agree you would need to make some undesirable compromises to hit 20kg, especially with heavier M600 motor. I've built 9kg China carbon XC bikes before using all the lightweight stuff, and they perform great for XC use, but the Dengfu E10 is an Enduro style e-bike frame. Maybe 23kg as a target seems more reasonable?

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Yup with middling weight running gear and suspension more for hard work than race light, seems most of us are in the 22 - 23 kgs, which is comparable with most branded bikes with durable and similar set up.

Bare in mind that a 36mm staunchion 140mm travel fork will be only a tad lighter than its 160mm sibling or probably the same as the same stanchion would be used on both forks, now a 38mm and its goner be heavier.

The most easiest way to lighten the bike is reduce battery capacity. Do you really need 720 Whs if you don’t ever use full capacity. I have a 360 Wh battery for those 1 hour blasts and magically my bikes makes 20kgs. :rolleyes:

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
Yup with middling weight running gear and suspension more for hard work than race light, seems most of us are in the 22 - 23 kgs, which is comparable with most branded bikes with durable and similar set up.

Bare in mind that a 36mm staunchion 140mm travel fork will be only a tad lighter than its 160mm sibling or probably the same as the same stanchion would be used on both forks, now a 38mm and its goner be heavier.

The most easiest way to lighten the bike is reduce battery capacity. Do you really need 720 Whs if you don’t ever use full capacity. I have a 360 Wh battery for those 1 hour blasts and magically my bikes makes 20kgs. :rolleyes:
of course if your ride make 1 hours and 500 m of uphill, you do not need 800 w. it is not the same to riding several hours in mountain and at less 1500 m

Sheff73

Feb 13, 2021
UK
Could I please ask a favour? For those of us that want to build our own batteries for the E10, it would be great if someone could please post some detailed photos of the current Dengfu battery case, showing any part numbers etc along with external dimensions. Hopefully we can then source an empty case from the likes of AliExpress etc.
Its not essential to have the bespoke battery case, but it would be nice!
Thanks in advance.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles