Decoy Warranty Fail.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Given what a clusterfuck the YT CS seems to be, I wouldn't expect to see it again...

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Seems like the way to go with warranty’s is to buy a good bike bag.. not use the box at all. That is what I plan on doing if I everhave to ship it back.
I had a bike shipped from Germany, it arrived in a box with no damage, but it had been carefully packed and padded. YT's lack of attention to detail and customer care is shocking for a ebike manufacturer wanting to be taken seriously. Style over substance?

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
I had a bike shipped from Germany, it arrived in a box with no damage, but it had been carefully packed and padded. YT's lack of attention to detail and customer care is shocking for a ebike manufacturer wanting to be taken seriously. Style over substance?

I think trying to run a rapidly expanding global business during a pandemic, most likely closer to the truth. most businesses want to do a good job, they rely on it to grow and make a profit. If they are not doing that its likely do to other things vs willingly trying to make people miserable. But they could be terrible demons who devised an bike empire that was intent on screwing its customers.. always possible...

Also could be down to some internal EU politics? I don't know but support is good in USA.

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
Support YT is good. It is just a few people that make a lot of noise like always. Unless someone gives me some numbers on how many satisfied / non-satisfied customers YT has had I believe my first statement and my own experience.

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
Support YT is good. It is just a few people that make a lot of noise like always. Unless someone gives me some numbers on how many satisfied / non-satisfied customers YT has had I believe my first statement and my own experience.
That is your choice but it is also my choice to believe MY own experience.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
It takes years to build a reputation and seconds to destroy one. YT are closer to the latter unfortunately.

Armeniandave

Sep 10, 2018
San Diego, California
So I have used the warranty process several times now. First to replace several e13 cassettes
that had issues, then to replace the first motor, and now to replace the second motor. Before
Covid the process was much faster and all issues were handled in under a week. Granted I'm
an hour away from the YT Mill in California. Right now I'm in the middle of replacing the second
motor and the service is definitely slower but still good. Took one week to get the motor approved
and now I'm waiting to get the second motor early next week (maybe sooner).

Because of there good service I also bought a Dirt Love a few months ago and just purchased a Capra
Shred which I won't get till February. So perhaps depends on where you live as to the service you get.
YT opening up the Mill over there should hopefully help the service get up to speed to what we have
here in America.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
So I have used the warranty process several times now. First to replace several e13 cassettes
that had issues, then to replace the first motor, and now to replace the second motor. Before
Covid the process was much faster and all issues were handled in under a week. Granted I'm
an hour away from the YT Mill in California. Right now I'm in the middle of replacing the second
motor and the service is definitely slower but still good. Took one week to get the motor approved
and now I'm waiting to get the second motor early next week (maybe sooner).

Because of there good service I also bought a Dirt Love a few months ago and just purchased a Capra
Shred which I won't get till February. So perhaps depends on where you live as to the service you get.
YT opening up the Mill over there should hopefully help the service get up to speed to what we have
here in America.
Second shimano motor wow.. you doing jump parks,Bike parks? Big air seems to kill the bearings..

Armeniandave

Sep 10, 2018
San Diego, California
Well considering there promo video for the Decoy showed the rider doing a double backflip I'd
say not that big. But I would agree with you. I do not think this motor was designed for bigger
jumps. The problem is they put them in bikes that are designed for big jumps and then the motor
becomes the week link. I did order a YT Capra Shred to take the load off the Decoy for jumping
but I won't get it till February. :cry:

This is about the biggest jump I've hit on it...

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
On all ebike motors the issue is if you ride hard, and put a lot of lateral pressure etc though the motor, they will end up biting the dust. They just cant take the forces that riding real hard puts though them. When I was putting 3k plus miles a year on a normal MTB I was lucky if the BB survived a year.

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
That is your choice but it is also my choice to believe MY own experience.
Never said you couldn't or shouldn't. For you it is like that. I simply mean that while your experience is true it does not necessarily mean most of the customers have a bad experience. That is impossible to track. Even my experience might change in the future.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Well considering there promo video for the Decoy showed the rider doing a double backflip I'd
say not that big. But I would agree with you. I do not think this motor was designed for bigger
jumps. The problem is they put them in bikes that are designed for big jumps and then the motor
becomes the week link. I did order a YT Capra Shred to take the load off the Decoy for jumping
but I won't get it till February. :cry:

This is about the biggest jump I've hit on it...

would be great if they built them with serviceable bearings!... until then your plan sounds like a good one

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
would be great if they built them with serviceable bearings!... until then your plan sounds like a good one
In the shimano thread there is someone who opened the E8000 and changed the bearings. If I understand his story it is quite doable if you are a bit experienced.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles