Decoy shutting down

Sand0kan

Dec 12, 2019
Netherlands
Ok had a Nice ride today....35km and 800 hightmeters.

the decoy shut down 10 times or m o re on me.....no power. if i turn it back on i can continue but it sucks.

any more having this problem?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
does it display a code on the display when it does they, or just shut down totally with everything including display truanting off?

Armeniandave

Sep 10, 2018
San Diego, California
This happened to me recently and I did two things and have not had the issue since.
First make sure there is a little slack to the rear speed sensor. It can get pulled tight
when the suspension compresses.
Second update the firmware to the latest. There was an issue before with updating the firmware but the new version has been great so far.
Try those two things and see if it helps!

EDIT: Started happening again so I cleaned the contacts between the motor and the frame. There was definite dirt that came out so we'll see if it works.

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Also check the battery mount is tight, and also the cables into the display, and into the motor, which are behind the housing on the LHS of the motor

Changleen

Jan 18, 2020
Acquiring
Make sure the battery to bike connections in the down tube are really clean; I had the same issue, now I clean the contacts with a CO spray cleaner every couple of rides and problem has gone.

Sand0kan

Dec 12, 2019
Netherlands
Make sure the battery to bike connections in the down tube are really clean; I had the same issue, now I clean the contacts with a CO spray cleaner every couple of rides and problem has gone.

Did this and since then no more power shut downs....keeping fingers crossed. Thx for the tip mate!!

Félix

Aug 19, 2020
Pyrenees
Hello, I had the same problem with my YT Decoy Pro 29, after a good uphill without problems, my Decoy shutting down more than 10 times in the downhill.
I have read all the posts and I have disassembled the battery, cleaned connections, also the connectors of the e7000 display. I have also checked that the sensor cable was not tight, the software is updated through the eTube app. One thing that I have not read in the posts is that sometimes when I finish riding and I want to turn off the bike and when I press the on / off button, it does not turn off, it does so by itself after a couple of minutes.
I still think that it may be something that does not connect well when I am going down with the bike, because when I pedal up it does not happen. The engine runs fine and everything seems fine, no error messages appear on the display.
I'm going to go through the whole cleaning process again and try riding once before contacting YT.
Could it be a battery problem? Any more ideas on this problem? Thank you!

ebkilla

Oct 15, 2021
California
I have had the exact same experience to the last detail. Randomly turning off no errors. Also sometimes it won't turn off like you described. I will let you know if I find a solution.

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
It is most likely contact issues with the battery if the Decoy shuts down without errors. Make sure if you insert the battery bolts you tighten the bottom one first. You can even pull the battery up into the contact points a bit before securing the bottom bolt!

If the problem persists you'll need to contact YT to get an extrension of the battery contact point in the bike. Was a thread about this I believe

SVT_925

Jan 18, 2023
CONCORD CA
Ok had a Nice ride today....35km and 800 hightmeters.

the decoy shut down 10 times or m o re on me.....no power. if i turn it back on i can continue but it sucks.

any more having this problem?
So I had the same problem.... I figured it out and got it fixed, found out it was the main wiring harness, intermittently stopped working then all of a sudden would not turn on. It was due to corrosion. Its a $30 part......
YT is not a very helpful company, they left me hanging to figure it out on my own and I had to call them and request the part ( paid for it myself )since they don't offer any information about trouble shooting or even diagrams online. I fixed the bike and cant wait to sell it and buy a specialized, I will never buy a YT again.

Hale_Storming

Oct 14, 2020
Munich, Germany
So I had the same problem.... I figured it out and got it fixed, found out it was the main wiring harness, intermittently stopped working then all of a sudden would not turn on. It was due to corrosion. Its a $30 part......
YT is not a very helpful company, they left me hanging to figure it out on my own and I had to call them and request the part ( paid for it myself )since they don't offer any information about trouble shooting or even diagrams online. I fixed the bike and cant wait to sell it and buy a specialized, I will never buy a YT again.
Hey, I've got similar issues. The Steps logo flashs on and off, but it never gets as far as the normal display and doesn't power up.

I've been told that it's the battery to motor connection. I guess this is the main wiring harness that you purchased. Do you have any details for this part, e.g. part number?

Thanks!
Luke

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles