Decoy Shred

Lowrance

Sep 23, 2020
So Cal
I notice a lot of you Decoy owners thinking of swapping out to a coil spring in lieu of the stock air shocks. Looks like YT have done this for us with the Shred. Knowing none of us has been able to throw a leg over one what is the general consensus?

I'm 6'2" and 240lbs at the moment and need something stout for my weight. Was thinking the Shred with a slighty stiffer spring might fit the bill. Any thoughts from the experts on this forum.

Cheers and thanks in advance for any insight.

Armeniandave

Sep 10, 2018
San Diego, California
It's pretty new so not many have them yet but I do have a Decoy Pro Race.
I've been contemplating the coil also but just haven't pulled the trigger yet.
I think it would be great on such a heavy ebike especially for jumping. If I
were to get another Decoy today it would be the shred for sure.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think the Shred is kind of a stop gap model until they bring out a new bike with the EP8, in the sense that they have updated the Decoy with some new parts.

If I was in the market for a Decoy I think the Shred is where my money would go

leocompositing

Sep 14, 2020
Surrey hills
I think the Shred is kind of a stop gap model until they bring out a new bike with the EP8, in the sense that they have updated the Decoy with some new parts.

If I was in the market for a Decoy I think the Shred is where my money would go
I suppose it’s a similar thing with the elite model? Can I ask you what would be the reason for you to go with a shred model instead of the Elite?
thanks

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Mainly because I like the coil and I think the spec and price is a sweet spot in the Decoy range.

Lowrance

Sep 23, 2020
So Cal
Mainly because I like the coil and I think the spec and price is a sweet spot in the Decoy range.

Precisely what I was thinking. And, if YT ever come out with this much rumored 700Wh battery, the 540Wh would make a good spare. EP8 would be nice but as others have mentioned it may be a while until all the bugs get ironed out so the E8000 is a sound option. I think I would prefer a Bosch CX4 over the E8000 but there are not any bikes with this motor option that are as well equipped and generally raved about as the Decoy!

Think I'm talking myself into it.

Thanks for the replies.

There is one guy that has received his Shred (apparently about a month ago). He's either a Yank or Canadian (couldn't quite tell from the video). I am anxiously awaiting some sort of review from him. Will post up a link to the vid when I get home from work.

Cheers

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I would check you can get a spring that works for your weight first though, as you may be better off going with an airshock if a spring isn't available that works for you

Lowrance

Sep 23, 2020
So Cal
I would check you can get a spring that works for your weight first though, as you may be better off going with an airshock if a spring isn't available that works for you

Yep...waiting for a call from FOX today just to make sure. Having said that, spoke to one of the guys at YT USA yesterday and he said he weighs 280lbs and was running at 650lb spring! Gives me hope FOX can sort me out.

Cheers

Lowrance

Sep 23, 2020
So Cal
Talked to FOX and they confirmed they have springs for my weight and beyond! Only $30 a spring.

Also enquired if the DHX2 coil snock could be upgraded to the Factory specs with high and low speed compression and reboud damping....also confirmed.

Good news all around. Think I'm placing my order! Just have to pull that finger back a little further......

Lowrance

Sep 23, 2020
So Cal
Well....not in English but seems to be a very happy Elite owner. San Clemente So California. Right next to YT headquarters.

Lowrance

Sep 23, 2020
So Cal
Just ordered some new gear (helmet, knee/elbow guards, shoes, etc), new seat based on less than stellar SDG reviews (Ergon SM Enduro Comp) and just received my 600lb spring!!

Now I just need the damn bike!! YT say its still on schedule for the 14th. Fingers crossed!

leocompositing

Sep 14, 2020
Surrey hills
Does the shred comes with the fox 38 fork as well? I’ve been to the YT mill UK today and they told me the reason for the delays is that the 38’s were simple sold out. Now that stocks are back they are assembling the bikes next week. So your bike might be built next week and will possibly arrive end of next week or beginning of the week after.

Lowrance

Sep 23, 2020
So Cal
Yep...comes with the Fox 38.

Cushcore on way! Eyeballing those Galfer 220mm rotors and pads....and RSC lever assemblies!!

Bike better get here soon or I'll have bought enough bits to build a complete bike from scratch!

Lowrance

Sep 23, 2020
So Cal
Signed up for YT's newsletter when I paid for the bike. Hadn't received anything from them until the last two days. Keep seeing YT Industries USA in my inbox and immediately think YES!!! Bike is shipping!!!

Then realize it's just the news letter.....bummer! Not liking this ridiculous waiting game!!

Lowrance

Sep 23, 2020
So Cal
Just got my email notification that bike has arrived at YT San Clemente!! Will be shipping today so should have it tomorrow!!! Hopefully!! Was thinking about heading down there and picking it up but too much crap to do at work.

Must be patient!!!!

Lowrance

Sep 23, 2020
So Cal
Apparently not. They use FedEx here. And, the YT Mill is only a couple of hours south of me so hopefully 1 day is sufficient!

Feel like a kid on Xmas Eve!!

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Just got my email notification that bike has arrived at YT San Clemente!! Will be shipping today so should have it tomorrow!!! Hopefully!! Was thinking about heading down there and picking it up but too much crap to do at work.

Must be patient!!!!
Can you post pics once you get that bad boy!

Lowrance

Sep 23, 2020
So Cal
Started assembly last night. A little disappointed in the set-up from YT. It's not as simple as bolting on the wheels and bars and start ripping. The rear mech is out of adjustment (by a lot), the headset and seat tubes are crooked, front brake needs a bleed (rear is fine), etc, etc, etc. Nothing that's insurmountable but expected a better job from YT!

Have a feeling this one was slapped together on a Friday afternoon at about 5:00PM!

Think I'll take care of the easy stuff, take it for a few road putts, then, strip it down to the frame and build it properly. Not what you'd expect for a $6K bike!

Cheers

Oh....even though their literature states the XL comes with a 500lb/in spring on the shock, they slapped a shock with a 450lb spring on it. Useless!

WC44

Oct 23, 2020
US
11A2865C-576D-4A2B-908B-EC45CE9CA8FD.jpeg
57lbs for the XXL with pedals

Lowrance

Sep 23, 2020
So Cal
Yeah...heavy beast isn't it! Haven't weighed my XL...don't really want to! Finished assembly last night and took it for a little rip on the street....it goes but you definitely feel the weight! I'm pretty proficient at wheelies and could barely get the front wheel off the ground!!!

Think I may have to swap out the R lever assemblies for RSCs....and for sure, larger rotor up front!

20201023_072919.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles