Decoy pro Race 2019 Öhlins shock, Fox 36 E-fork

akuria

Patreon
Jan 30, 2020
san francisco
I can also vouch for the Vorsprung Smashpot. I put it in my Lyrik and made it 180mm and it was a game changer.....I will never go back to air....haha. The smashpot has a little hydraulic at the end of the travel to add a bit of progression to the spring as well. Super nice.

Fx1

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Zero"
Feb 6, 2020
GB
What do these coil conversions cost on a fox 36?

MTB_MIKE

Dec 20, 2019
Southern California, USA
I am running a 180mm Vorsprung coiled Fork on my Acoustic bike and running a 180mm air Fork on my Decoy. On a freshly serviced fork, they are pretty close performance wise. However after just 2 weeks on the air fork I can feel the performance begins to suffer a bit as stiction gets worse and worse.
I have decided to stick with air on the ebike because there are times I will lend it out to friends. The coil shock is easy to change the spring but the Smashpot is a bit more hassle.

Regardless, I don’t think the Smashpot will work on your Fox 34 internals so its a moot point

akuria

Patreon
Jan 30, 2020
san francisco
The Vorsprung Smashpot is $320 and works on the Fox 36, however not sure on the E-36 since it has 34 internals. If you do decide to go coil I would recommend getting a new fork. it seems like the E-36 has little that can be done to modify it. The Lyrik is a great fork and can be had for cheaper than a real Fox 36. Also Ohlins makes a coil fork out the gate and same with Formula. That new Formula Selva C fork in Violet looks absolutely sick....

ziscwg

Sep 18, 2019
US
The Vorsprung Smashpot is $320 and works on the Fox 36, however not sure on the E-36 since it has 34 internals. If you do decide to go coil I would recommend getting a new fork. it seems like the E-36 has little that can be done to modify it. The Lyrik is a great fork and can be had for cheaper than a real Fox 36. Also Ohlins makes a coil fork out the gate and same with Formula. That new Formula Selva C fork in Violet looks absolutely sick....

I can expand here.
The smashpot WILL NOT work on the E36 because of the internals.

If you want to go coil (I highly recommend it. I have on my Decoy), you can go with the Mazocchi Z1 coil also. It's $750 USD.

akuria

Patreon
Jan 30, 2020
san francisco
I can expand here.

If you want to go coil (I highly recommend it. I have on my Decoy), you can go with the Mazocchi Z1 coil also. It's $750 USD.

I have heard good things on That Marzocchi Z1 coil fork. Good price point as well. The reason I went with the vorsprung is that I already had the Lyrik fork.

DB88MOTO

Apr 25, 2020
BC Canada
Just reviving an older thread.. I have a CF Pro and the fox 36. Today was shake down first ride day. I found the forks super harsh and stiff. I set up the pressure based in my weight and all settings in the middle to start. After a couple steep down hill rock descents I noticed I wasn't even close to using full travel. I did some more adjusting and let some air out. Still stiff and harsh feeling. Got back to my van and checked the pressure once it cooled down. it was at 50PSI and still not using full travel. for my weight it Fox calls for 55 to 66 lbs of pressure. I weigh 140lbs (63kg).. Can any one chime in that has some time on these forks. Thx

ziscwg

Sep 18, 2019
US
Just reviving an older thread.. I have a CF Pro and the fox 36. Today was shake down first ride day. I found the forks super harsh and stiff. I set up the pressure based in my weight and all settings in the middle to start. After a couple steep down hill rock descents I noticed I wasn't even close to using full travel. I did some more adjusting and let some air out. Still stiff and harsh feeling. Got back to my van and checked the pressure once it cooled down. it was at 50PSI and still not using full travel. for my weight it Fox calls for 55 to 66 lbs of pressure. I weigh 140lbs (63kg).. Can any one chime in that has some time on these forks. Thx
at your weight, take all but one of the tokens (volume reducers) out of the right leg. I'd open up the high speed and low speed all the way open (towards the minus sign on the dial). Put your rebounds at their fastest. Then, see how it rides with 55 lbs of air.

Last edited:

eTrax

Oct 17, 2019
USA - West Coast
2020 Decoy 29 Pro | 36 Performance Elite

I wanted to see how many tokens I was running which ended up being 4. I noticed they were green (34)..?

After some searching around I found this thread indicating the internals are 34? Is this a YT spec thing or all Fox 36 Perf Elite?

ziscwg

Sep 18, 2019
US
2020 Decoy 29 Pro | 36 Performance Elite

I wanted to see how many tokens I was running which ended up being 4. I noticed they were green (34)..?

After some searching around I found this thread indicating the internals are 34? Is this a YT spec thing or all Fox 36 Perf Elite?
Fox "decided" to do a 36 with thicker parts and use 34 internals. They say it's better, but I could not tell. It also makes any kind of upgrade much more tricky.

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
I can expand here.

@ziscwg - According to Steve @Vorsprung via email, you *can* use the Smashpot in the Fox 36E+ version (at least code DYZ6) up to a certain spring rate (65 I believe). The higher spring rates above 65 are larger diameter and don't always fit.

I've ordered mine in a 65# and haven't installed yet, so this is on Steve's word alone here....buyer beware but it may be an option just talk to Steve first.

ziscwg

Sep 18, 2019
US
@ziscwg - According to Steve @Vorsprung via email, you *can* use the Smashpot in the Fox 36E+ version (at least code DYZ6) up to a certain spring rate (65 I believe). The higher spring rates above 65 are larger diameter and don't always fit.

I've ordered mine in a 65# and haven't installed yet, so this is on Steve's word alone here....buyer beware but it may be an option just talk to Steve first.
I'd believe Steve. Every time I have called or emailed them, they give great advice and are willing to help.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles