Decoy Hacks??!!

ziscwg

Sep 18, 2019
US
Really appreciate the replies so far gents.

ACF-50, foam tape and 3M plastic sheets on their way. Stunlocker downloaded. Think I’ll try the stock Minions for a while though.

MT7’s going on, not a fan of SRAM anchors.
SRAM brakes work great as anchors. Just carry them when you are out fishing and you will feel a sense of bliss when you throw them overboard to never see them again

MKoskinen

May 23, 2020
Helsinki
So you used the ACF-50 for everything, including battery terminals?

The reason I am asking is that ACF-50 does not seem to be available in Finland. Might be able to order online, but I’d rather find something from a local hardware store.

Do you think that WD-40 would do the same job? Is that safe to use similarly everywhere (but brakes of course)?

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Did you get the guys in whistler to do it? or is it just 'easier' because its all precut?
Took the bike into Steed on the North Shore to assemble, and they sent the relevant bike parts to the guys in Whistler to RideWrap before assembling. This was when it was looking like COVID-19 was going to hit hard, and the bike store was happy to take the work, and I was happy to support them. Things are a bit different now... bike stores are busier than ever.

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
So you used the ACF-50 for everything, including battery terminals?

The reason I am asking is that ACF-50 does not seem to be available in Finland. Might be able to order online, but I’d rather find something from a local hardware store.

Do you think that WD-40 would do the same job? Is that safe to use similarly everywhere (but brakes of course)?

No wd40 an acf50 are totally different things I would not use wd40 personally for much more than releasing oil/spry. It is not the best as a lube either. Do a search about acf50. don’t know about alternatives sorry as that is what I use

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
There are various similar products, and lots of YouTube vis about how to use ACF50 - I used to use it on my motorbike that I used to commute on, was doing about 15,000 miles a year in all weathers and it prevented any serious problems.

I have recently used this, but only because I got it free from lbs to try

no idea how similar it is to ACF, but does a similar thing - been so dry recently though, so no idea how well it works.

MKoskinen

May 23, 2020
Helsinki
Might give the muc-off version a try first. There’s some in our local bike shop I see.

Thanks for all the answers. I really appreciate it.

Been able to ride over 100kms since the last error after applying all these tips.

Last edited:

mikeyneale21

Sep 16, 2020
South Wales
Hi butt, I’ve checked all the cables, cleaned and inspected them but I’m still having no joy. Now instead of the steps screen freezing on start up I can’t get it on at all. Dropped motor and inspected cables. Power going to switch. Just wondering if you had any other ideas I could try. I’m just outside Pontypridd so not far from you. Bikes only a week old and I really don’t want to send it back to YT if I can help it. Any help would be much appreciated

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
Hi butt, I’ve checked all the cables, cleaned and inspected them but I’m still having no joy. Now instead of the steps screen freezing on start up I can’t get it on at all. Dropped motor and inspected cables. Power going to switch. Just wondering if you had any other ideas I could try. I’m just outside Pontypridd so not far from you. Bikes only a week old and I really don’t want to send it back to YT if I can help it. Any help would be much appreciated

Not sure tbh mate. But u are more than welcome to come over to mine an I’ll have a look and can use parts off my bike to test

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
3. I used Stunlocker to set Eco to 50, Trail to 100 and Boost to 150, but obviously those settings are very personal and dependent upon the trails you ride.
5. Exactly the same on the Capra, so I was used to checking this.
8. Just had a Michelin 2.6" e-wild rear arrive today. Some people have said if I install this tire I might need to flip the chip to slightly raise the bike. Will have a play later.
9. Really liking the look of the foam idea - wouldn't surprise me if YT do something similar in the future. For the time being, the black electrical tape is working for me - but obviously a hassle if you want to remove the battery (remove tape, reapply tape).
Did you end up flipping the chip after installing the Michelin E-Wild 2.6?

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Did you end up flipping the chip after installing the Michelin E-Wild 2.6?
Yes I flipped the chip to slightly raise the bike. Prefer it all around. Better for climbing and I don't notice any difference on the downhill. Suits my riding style better. I'm now running Kenda 2.6 Hellkat Pro ACG with CushCore and love the combo.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Yes I flipped the chip to slightly raise the bike. Prefer it all around. Better for climbing and I don't notice any difference on the downhill. Suits my riding style better. I'm now running Kenda 2.6 Hellkat Pro ACG with CushCore and love the combo.
Thanks for the prompt feedback. Going with the Michelin E-Wild 2.6 myself. Is your inner width of your rear wheel 35mm by any chance? Thinking wheel profile should still be ok running 2.6 vs 2.8 on rear.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Thanks for the prompt feedback. Going with the Michelin E-Wild 2.6 myself. Is your inner width of your rear wheel 35mm by any chance? Thinking wheel profile should still be ok running 2.6 vs 2.8 on rear.
Yes - fits fine on a 35mm rim. The E-Wild is also a great tire. I found it a little stiff getting on to start with, but there is definitely a technique to changing tires... I destroyed mine, but it was totally my fault.

mikeyneale21

Sep 16, 2020
South Wales
Not sure tbh mate. But u are more than welcome to come over to mine an I’ll have a look and can use parts off my bike to test
I was thinking about trying to find someone else close by to try swapping parts out. I have booked it into onit cycles in porthcawl on Tuesday so hopefully they should be able to diagnose and sort it. They are an official shimano service centre. If they have no luck I might take you up on the offer.
It’s only a week old and YT said they would collect but haven’t got any availability to even look at it next week and I really don’t want to be without it after waiting 6 weeks for it. Thanks a lot for the offer I appreciate it. I’m thinking it’s either the steps controller or the battery that’s causing the issue. I won’t be putting a hose anywhere near it after this though ?

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
Ur welcome dude the offer is there if u need it. Since I done my preventative steps I can wash it all I like battery in or out an don’t get a single issue

mikeyneale21

Sep 16, 2020
South Wales
Ur welcome dude the offer is there if u need it. Since I done my preventative steps I can wash it all I like battery in or out an don’t get a single issue
I managed to find the issue. It’s the battery. A friend of a friend got a decoy and I tried his battery and the bike works fine. Put my battery in his bike and same issue. I’ll ring YT tomorrow and hopefully they can send out a new battery. I’m going to make a gasket like yours and put tape over the gap between frame so then it should be all good ?

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
Just hope theres no issue now getting a new battery from YT. I know the batteries are sold out but hopefully they should have some tucked away for warranty issues. Thanks for your help and info
They do seem to have them now but do not keep them tucked away for warranty issues.. I have waited 3+ months for replacement of my failed battery ... and still waiting.

mikeyneale21

Sep 16, 2020
South Wales
They do seem to have them now but do not keep them tucked away for warranty issues.. I have waited 3+ months for replacement of my failed battery ... and still waiting.
I’m getting more and more pissed off all the time. I had to leave my bike there yesterday in the end. Wouldn’t admit it was a simple battery issue and insisted they needed to check the whole system even though the bike works fine with another battery. I might just order another battery and get them to send me the bike back. It’s not ideal but I’m fed up of waiting to ride a brand new bike. My mate had a similar problem with his Levo. He walked into the shop where he bought the bike and walked out with a new battery in 10 minutes. I know you save money by buying direct and can’t expect the same level of customer support but I was hoping the mill would bridge the gap a little. After going there yesterday I’m not so convinced. They said they didn’t even have any batteries there. What’s that about ? Disappointed to say the least

Finlayc

May 8, 2021
Perth UK
Many thanks for this thread. Ride 3 when the Decoy kept turning off on the ride home. Battery out and some ACF spray and all perfect today. Home made seal to follow. :cool:

Feb 27, 2020
home
I have 2 additional water inlets: the cable plug for the gear and the cable plug for the dropper. After each ride these plugs have just about free-ed themself from the frame. On the photo even the gear cable shows some wear. I have tried silicon spray between plug and cable but that doesn't solve the problem. Glue them to the frame... ? Any other hack ?
An very expensive solution would be to go wireless ?

rubber.jpg

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
I have 2 additional water inlets: the cable plug for the gear and the cable plug for the dropper. After each ride these plugs have just about free-ed themself from the frame. On the photo even the gear cable shows some wear. I have tried silicon spray between plug and cable but that doesn't solve the problem. Glue them to the frame... ? Any other hack ?
An very expensive solution would be to go wireless ?

View attachment 61197

A little zip tie will keep them in place

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
Some more battery issues fixed might help someone. So my mates decoy has been playing up well his battery was, now an then his battery would just turn off, an the other week we stopped to get over a gate an his bike turned it self off, An would not restart tried it in mine an nothing mine in his an works so defo battery. Now when we refitted his battery I pushed it up towards to head stock the bike turned on. It seems as tho the contacts on his battery are too far away. So I put some small washers at the bottom of the battery lower mount to push the battery forward. Bike works perfect an has had no faults for a couple of hundred miles

Sand0kan

Dec 12, 2019
Netherlands
Some more battery issues fixed might help someone. So my mates decoy has been playing up well his battery was, now an then his battery would just turn off, an the other week we stopped to get over a gate an his bike turned it self off, An would not restart tried it in mine an nothing mine in his an works so defo battery. Now when we refitted his battery I pushed it up towards to head stock the bike turned on. It seems as tho the contacts on his battery are too far away. So I put some small washers at the bottom of the battery lower mount to push the battery forward. Bike works perfect an has had no faults for a couple of hundred miles

Did the same thing and no more shutdowns ever since. I used washers from my flatpedals lolololol

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
That battery’s are strange as in they look adjustable with the bottom holes elongated but are not. I just used some stainless washers an his bike works great now. Glad urs works mate

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles