Decoy chain guide "advisory"

KenX

E*POWAH Master
Jul 21, 2019
Briançon, France
Not a recall as such, more an alert.......(via email today)

>>>

Hey Young Talent!

we are stoked to have you as part of the YT Family and hope you are enjoying your DECOY so far.

We want to look after our family members as best we can and that is why we are reaching out to you directly.

It has come to our attention that in some cases the bolts fixing the e*thirteen Chain Guide to the ISCG mounting tab have the tendency to loosen.

Therefore, we would ask you to check out the attached manual and make sure your chain guide mounting bolts are sitting tight, so that you are the only thing getting loose on the trails.

If you have any questions, please reach out to our YT Customer Service and we’ll happily help you out.

See you on the trails!

>>>

I'd already loctited and tightened my bolts about 2 months ago and for sure they were loose..........

So a good heads-up for the Decoy owners here (y)

Lee

Jun 11, 2019
Lancaster
That's a really misleading title, I received the same email today, they are advising you to thread lock the chain guide bolts as they may come loose.

Lee

Jun 11, 2019
Lancaster
Hence why I put recall in inverted commas........

And it's still very misleading as it isn't being recalled in any way, shape or form.
I have no idea why you would want to put something in the thread title that is totally untrue, but each to their own i suppose.

KenX

E*POWAH Master
Jul 21, 2019
Briançon, France
It's the 2 silver ones (T25), take 'em out one at a time and loctite them (y)

IMG_0863.JPG

Last edited:

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
Mine actually came loose and broke below the upper bolt … the chainguide plate is made of plastic (not aluminum) and cracked.

I have a new one on order from E13, however they are on backorder.

As a result, my chainguide is being held onto the bike currently by ONE bolt.

So YES … I can verify 100% that this advice is sound and take a few seconds to check yours.

Gemini2k

Sep 9, 2019
Normal
Mine came loose and broke off, seized up the cranks, and the thing the bolts thread into broke off. So I can't reinstall a chain guide anymore.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Recieved that today. Good on them. I cant say ive heard of many companies doing this and being proactive. As consumers we should be doing bolt checks but im a procrastination king so i appreciate the heads up

His_Turdness

Nov 12, 2020
Finland
I just noticed that mine doesn't have a chain guide. I could've sworn there used to be one. I do remember getting a trouser sleeve button getting stuck in the teeth causing the chain to drop. I just put it back on and continued the ride. So I suspect it may have dropped then and there. Guess I better start looking for a replacement and inspect the bike for further damage. :D

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The e13 one is a POS in my opinion, I don't have decoy but I tried the E13 for while, and it was just a really cheap plasticy piece of kit. I now have a Funn one which is much better, and better looking to boot

Screenshot 2020-11-20 at 19.07.44.png

Screenshot 2020-11-20 at 19.07.53.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles