Decoy 29 chainring to 32t

Boros

Jul 6, 2020
Romania
I want to change the chainring on my decoy pro 29 from 36T to 32T, but shimanos e8000 specific smallest chainring has 34T.
Is it even possible to go to 32T, has someone done it, and if yes, what chainring did you use?
Thanx

StuE

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jun 4, 2018
Leeds
I put a 32t Hope ring on my Esommet (E8000 motor) it worked fine but didn't wear very well so now back on original Shimano 34t

Boros

Jul 6, 2020
Romania
The 36T is too big I think. Woluld like to go to 32T, I think it would help the battery too on longer rides with normal bikes, and not to speak of the possibility to have to pedal home without assistance?.
I allso have a missaligned chain sound on the hardest gear. Do you allso have that sound?

Last edited:

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I have a merida e140 that had shimano 34 - I have 32 on it now. No problem for me. It was cheap, and looks like it could be reversible (twice the life). I bought a few more just in case. Because I mostly use eco - I use the lowest gears often. I bought this. I had trouble finding cheap ones that were 12x - many of them don't state what they are compatible with.

Boros

Jul 6, 2020
Romania
I ordered original Shimano 34T. Will try it. Allso ordered it with 50mm spider to try to get rid of the chain sound on the hardest gear. Will keep you posted. I think I will try allso some 32T by some other brands.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
If someone is interested in steel I also found this. I emailed the seller who assures me these are good for 12x - for some reason most chain ring sellers are averse to saying what they are compatible with :unsure:. I should also mention that 32 teeth is as small as you can go with the 104 bcd (shimano steps) spider. The ends of the spider arms are just barely below the chain level now but still fine.

Boros

Jul 6, 2020
Romania
If someone is interested in steel I also found this. I emailed the seller who assures me these are good for 12x - for some reason most chain ring sellers are averse to saying what they are compatible with :unsure:. I should also mention that 32 teeth is as small as you can go with the 104 bcd (shimano steps) spider. The ends of the spider arms are just barely below the chain level now but still fine.
Thanks for the info

ziscwg

Sep 18, 2019
US
I have a merida e140 that had shimano 34 - I have 32 on it now. No problem for me. It was cheap, and looks like it could be reversible (twice the life). I bought a few more just in case. Because I mostly use eco - I use the lowest gears often. I bought this. I had trouble finding cheap ones that were 12x - many of them don't state what they are compatible with.

don't buy those rings. They are RaceFace knockoffs from China. They did not even bother to disguise it by changing the name much. LOL. In my experience, you'll buy 3 or 4 of those knockoffs before one RaceFace wears out. Those knockoffs will start wearing out and skipping right at the bottom of you 700m climb out.

Boros

Jul 6, 2020
Romania
don't buy those rings. They are RaceFace knockoffs from China. They did not even bother to disguise it by changing the name much. LOL. In my experience, you'll buy 3 or 4 of those knockoffs before one RaceFace wears out. Those knockoffs will start wearing out and skipping right at the bottom of you 700m climb out.
Going with 34T Shimano now. I think it will be enough. Let's see

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I've done 500km and so far so good. I did by an extra 3; I thought the same as you and they are so cheap. One thing that people don't seem to hear or understand though, is that these rings (probably all the cheapies) look reversible. This means when the ring does eventually show wear, I should be able to take it off and flip it around, essentially getting a new ring.

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Can you fit a SRAM chainring to the Shimano Cranks? I'd also like to for 32t up front, but I am putting my AXS on the Decoy, so want everything to the SRAM if possible. On a similar note, will the Shimano chain work with SRAM? I presume it will considering its all 12sp?

eTrax

Oct 17, 2019
USA - West Coast
Chain ring is basically a 104 BCD. I grabbed a Garbaruk and could not be happier with the 32T.

Excellent results with the Garbaruk chain-rings, definitely recommended.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles